A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I weaved a scarf.  (Read 6130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

signe

mars-yer than thou

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2004 04:42:39 AM »

I recently got a stool, and wanted to try it out. I made this scarf a week ago. It took approx. 5 hours alltogether, and it was SO much fun!

I'm just going to post a picture and link to a livejournal post where there are pictures of the weaving and the stool, so I won't clog up the forum.

I DEFINITELY recommend weaving, I've fallen in love with it!

http://formulae.stormentic.net/ferdig3.jpg

http://formulae.stormentic.net/ferdig1.jpg

When I was done I had about 1 m of warp left, so I'm making a small table cloth (not the kind that covers the whole table.. We call them "runners", but don't know if that's the appropriate word in English) for my grandmother. It'll look pretty much the same, except.. not. Cough.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010 09:06:15 PM by MareMare - Reason: to remove broken image links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
strobe_hearted
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004 05:28:16 AM »

That's really awesome -- my mother used to weave, I'm going to have to ask what happened to her loom, now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyjoy726
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004 05:30:44 AM »

wow, that's an amazing scarf!  i was actually thinking of taking a weaving class or buying myself a loom, and this post has totally convinced me i should!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004 05:31:32 AM »

that's so beautiful, signe.  i love the colors.  i've been curious about weaving, but a loom is such a big investment.  and so big.  i know folks who sell similar scarves for big bucks.
oh, and, yes, they're called runners Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

signe

mars-yer than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004 05:47:34 AM »

I was surprised at how easy it was to start out. This is my first "project", and I'm very very satisfied with how it worked out. I'm not very crafty (maybe a bit, but I'm not patient enough for needlwork. I make hats and stuff, but that's just about it, I'm afraid.).

It's a lot of fun, and if you've got money to spare it's definatly not the worst way to spend it. Also, a loom can last just about forever (this one is about 25 years old and still like new). So if you're interested, it's a good investment. You can make just about everything, even fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004 05:53:02 AM »

ha! i thought weaving was one of those arts reserved for those with supreme patience.  i swear, if i can't finish it in a few hours, it'll sit for years waiting for completion.   Embarrassed
and you're right, looms are a good investment-it'd pay for itself in no time.
i'd be interested in weaving a big rug, i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004 07:20:09 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this!  My Grandmother had bought a loom years ago and used it but died before she could teach anyone and it hasn't been touch in more than 4 years.  Every time I see it I want to give it a try and was planning on it this year.  Your link said this took about 5 hours.  It turned out great.  Did you have any books or people who had done this before to ask questions to or could you just pick it up?  I couldn't tell if your Mom had experience with it or not.  The loom I have access to is already strung and I think still has her last project on it  so I was hoping for a book to help out.  I'm afraid to mess it up.  Anyway, looks fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
signe

mars-yer than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004 07:58:16 AM »

My mom used to teach crafts. She's very experienced in weaving (she has a HUGE loom which she uses- that's why she discarded the one I have, she can do more stuff on the big one. And she's got some other weaving thingiees as well). The only thing she did for me was the warping, though. I picked up the rest on my own.  I'm sure there are lots of good books out there- you might want to check them out. I just had some safety because I knew that if there was a problem, I had someone to ask. It wasn't really necessary, though. The hard part is the warping. It's also the most time-consuming part. When you weave you can always take a break whenever, but you almost have to do the warping in one "sitting". But if your loom is strung, you won't have that problem.

Do you want to continue on her project or just continue weaving on the same warp? If you want to continue her thing, I suppose you want to consult a book. But if that's not your plan.. Well, you pretty much learn as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004 08:43:35 AM »

I would like to continue her project.  It looks like she was making another table cloth but I'm not sure how far she had gotten.  Unluckily the loom is about an 8 hour drive so I won't be there until after their lake effect snow is gone.  I hate driving in the hills with snow. Smiley  Anyway, I believe it is a table cloth which so in the end the size shouldn't matter much.  The supplies are where she left them so I'll only have to guess on her plan.  I think it is all one color so it should be pretty simple.  I'll have to check the library for books.  If I don't have at least some knowledge going in, the family will have a fit for me "messing" with the loom.  Relatives!  Thanks for the help and the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
completelyobsessed
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004 08:55:31 AM »

That is so beautiful!  You did a great job, I am very impressed that it is your first weaving project.  You are crazy to think you are not crafty after this: )  Awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Braided Undercut
Segmented Ponytail
Long and Woven Braid Tutorial
Hair Tyrant: Making Your Look More Memorable
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...