A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help needed for birthday presents!  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2007 11:22:18 PM »

ok, i'm just throwing this out here into Craftster, any help would be greatly appreciated!  I've decided to make charm bracelets for my two friends.  Their birthdays are about 2 weeks apart, and now is my time for freaking out because I didn't find out about the parties until a few days ago!

I was struck by inspiration last night to make charm bracelets, using aspects of their personalities to make them personal.  I want the main point to be their initials, and i've gotten some ideas, but the main concern I have is with my friend Priscilla's bracelet.

The main idea I had was to twine a thin transparent ribbon through a charm bracelet base, but I have no idea how to attach the ribbon at each end!  Has anybody ever made a bracelet this way?  And if you have, how have you overcome this problem?  I might just have to wing it and hope for the best!

Thanks for any help or ideas you can give me!  I live by a Michael's only, and i'm going to get the initial pendants I need to make the necklace from the jewelery store about 1/2 hour away from my house by bus.  I'll post pictures of my progress, and once again, thanks for any help or ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007 11:43:23 AM »

OK, I'll take a stab. I would either melt the ends of the ribbon with fire and let them hang loose, tied to the chain at the ends, or use cones at the ends that you could hide the end of the chain and ribbon in.

Hope this makes sense. If not, I can probably find a picture or something to illustrate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
PromisedHeartbrk
Art Geek

Rock and Roll Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008 09:34:03 PM »

if the ribbon is on the thinner side maybe crimp beads?
When I was making charm bracelets/beady things crimp beads saved my life lol

They are beads made out of thin metal that can be squished with pliers to hold things (bad explanation) You you even tuck the ribbon into it looped around the ends of the bracelet (like each side) it would keep the ribbon in place and hide the raw edges.

Or a simple whip stitch with the ribbon looped around the end pieces of the bracelet could work ... theres that clear sewing thread out there that could even work for the stitches so that it was noticeable

can wait to see the finished product
.mana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love a personal swap! Send me a Pm Smiley
IndefatigableL
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008 11:32:43 PM »

I'm not sure how this would look at all, but how 'bout this:

String a bead on to the ribbon, then loop the ribbon around the ring attached the clasp pieces. Tie a knot as close as possible, then trim the excess ribbon. At this point you could hold a lighter briefly to the knot to melt it slightly to make sure it stays. Then just slide the bead up and over the knot to hide it.

Does that make sense?

The crimp bead might be easier. I know they come with loops on the end, but I don't know if they come with split ring loops or not. That way you could attach it to the ring on either side of the clasp.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008 11:34:10 PM by IndefatigableL » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blah. Currently in Iraq.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Twilight: Breaking Dawn Stars Fashion at the 2012 Comic Con Red Carpet
How to Make Your Own Pair of Dip-Dye Shorts
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Continue with the Monochrome Trend
Katie Holmes Sports Tight Leather Pants
Three New Ways to Wear Stripes During the Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...