A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,463
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nylon Flowers (Tutorial Added! LOTS of pictures)  (Read 11254 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 22, 2007 01:18:53 AM »

I wanted to make something nice for the other people that work in my office (I'm an event planner for the student activities council at my university) for the first day of school, so I spent a couple of hours on Sunday night making nylon flower picks.

I like the way they came out and it was awesome seeing everyone in the office (even the guys) wearing them behind their ears around campus.  Grin It was something that brought us all together before we get our new shirts in for the year.

I'm sorry there are so many pictures (and the pictures are kind of blurry...I had to use my brother's camera...can't find mine.)

Things needed:  nylon (I think you can buy colored nylon at most craft stores or you can dye white pantyhose with a fabric dye), wire (I got a foil coated colored wire at my craft store), floral tape, thread (any kind of thread...it'll be covered at the end anyway), wire cutters, scissors, jewelry pliers, beads (not shown)

1. Cut 5 pieces of wire around 6" long. Wrap the wire around a cylinder (I used part of the cap of a travel size Bath & Body Works body spray...the size of the cylinder you wrap it around will determine the size of your petals) and use your pliers to twist the wires to make something that kind of looks like a lollipop.

2. Make 5 of them and put them on the side.

3. Take a shorter piece of wire (around 4") and thread it through the bead (I used a 4mm facet bead) and twist the wires together. (You only need to thread through enough that you can twist the wires.) This is going to be the center of your flower.

4. Stretch the nylon over the wire petal. Don't pull the nylon too tight or it'll look too thin. You don't want it to be too transparent. Wrap the thread around the base of the hoop (so it would be like wrapping it around the stick of the lollipop just below the candy) around 10 - 20 times. Cut the thread leaving a tail.

5. Once you have all 5 done, stack them together. I usually stack 3 together and then add the wire with the bead and then stack the other two over it. Make sure that the bottom of the bead is close to the bottom of the hoops so that the center of your flower doesn't stick out too much.

6. Wrap the thread around all of the wires to bind them together. (You don't have to, but it makes it a little easier to keep them all together.) Trim the threads.

7. Starting at the base of the petals, wrap the floral tape around the wires, making sure to cover all of the thread. Wrap all the way down the wire, stretching the floral tape as you go.

8. Once the stem is created, you're going to separate the petals. A lot of the time, they bend one way better than the other. When you peel apart the petals, your center should be where it's supposed to be.

9. After you separate the petals, shape them how you want and then you can curve them outward by bending it over your finger.

10. And there you have your flower!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007 11:49:13 PM by jeni_loves_you » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007 02:41:59 AM »

Wow - I don't think I've ever seen nylon flowers look so good!! You sound like a very fun event planner :
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007 09:30:32 AM »

They look really pretty and delicate - do you mind sharing how you made them?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007 10:03:27 AM »

Gorgeous Smiley Are they made like fairy wings, with nylon strapped over wire?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007 10:25:28 AM »

They are so delicate looking.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
jeni_loves_you
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007 10:44:34 AM »

Thanks so much everyone!
I don't mind sharing how they're made. I'll try to get some pictures tonight. But they are made like fairy wings with the nylon stretched over wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007 06:54:32 AM »

so pretty! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007 07:48:56 AM »

It looks like they are airbrushed or spray painted! That is so NEAT! I tried to make wings like that but... hehe... didn't work out so much...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeni_loves_you
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 12:06:24 AM »

I added the tutorial! Sorry it took me so long. I haven't been home long enough all week to really sit down and take any pictures. Please ignore my pillow. I was sitting on my bed and taking the pictures.  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007 05:11:11 AM »

Great tutorial, thanks a lot for taking the time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Frizz Free Curls with a Diffuser
Faux Hawk Ponytail Tutorial
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...