A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted slipper boots - now with tutorial  (Read 6292 times)
Tags for this thread: slippers , boots , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissykat
« on: August 21, 2007 11:32:23 PM »

I hate wearing pants and my calves suffer for it during the long, cold Atlantic winters. I've been looking for a pair of slipper boots since last year, but I can't seem to find any in my size that I like. I was looking at Lydia the Strange's infamous "Cold Feet..." slipper pattern and decided I could make my own. I used her pattern, adapted a fair bit for size and because I wanted to make mine in single crochet. Then all I needed was a few hours and my mantra of "They're not crummy socks, they're slippers. Slippers I tell ya!" and voila!

They're not exactly slimming, but boy are they cozy!  Grin

There isn't really a hole in the left ankle. I swear. lol

I haven't  put anything on the soles to make them less slippery yet, so I'm having fun skating around on the hardwood. The green strings don't really help to keep them up so I might try making some little elastic garters instead. 

Comments welcome.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007 11:38:38 PM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007 12:04:07 AM »

Those are so cute! I love that!

Please please please share how you made your mods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Mono
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007 01:46:37 AM »

Awesome! They are absolutely great. I might even try this later on... Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007 05:08:16 AM »

Thanks!  Cheesy

Please please please share how you made your mods!

I only took some very cryptic notes to help make them match each other, but I'll try translating them later on.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April is

a walking contradiction

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007 08:39:52 AM »

Love these! i must have a pair! if you need a pattern tester for your mods, i'm totally there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a head full of ideas and an empty wallet.
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007 08:40:50 AM »

These are fantastic! I absolutely love them! Now I need a pair for myself. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007 11:33:16 AM »

Thanks guys.  Cheesy

I've written up the modifications I made to the pattern. Keep in mind that this is how I made them to fit my feet and legs, and it's really just a guideline. You might have to change it quite a bit to fit you properly. The key is to keep trying on your slipper to judge if you're shaping it properly. I used a size N hook and less than 2 small skeins of bulky weight yarn (from a bag of mystery mill ends, but it looks exactly like some Bernat Chunky I had kicking around). There was no yardage given for the skeins, so I don't know how much I used. The first one took awhile, but once I had it all worked out, the second took less than 2 hours of distracted, tv watching crocheting.  Wink

(Disclaimer: I'm not much of a crocheter, I've never written a pattern. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but this is the best way I could think of to make these, and it worked for me. Smiley)

I did mine entirely in single crochet. I'll include the changes I made to Lydia the Strange's slipper pattern to adapt it, in case anyone wants it. I mostly just spaced out the increases differently, and I started with a magic adjustable ring instead of a chain. If you'd rather refer to the original pattern, skip to the ***.

6 sc into ring, sl st to join

ch 1, 2 sc in each sc around.

ch 1, sc in each st around

ch 1, (sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st) around

ch 1, sc in each st around

ch 1, (sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st) around

(ch 1, sc in each st around.) Repeat until the toe area covers the entire top of your foot and touches the front of your ankle when your foot is flat.

ch 1, sc in next 15 sts. Turn and continue until foot area is the right length. I make mine a bit shorter than my foot so that it has to stretch to fit snugly. Sl st shut with right sides together. FO.

Working in single crochet, pick up stitches around the top of the slipper opening, as you would to finish the edge. Sl st to join.

(Ch 1, sc in each st around.) twice.

This is where you want to start trying the slipper on after every couple of rows. You want the decrease rows to rest at the slimmest part of your ankle. I wanted mine to be fairly snug. It felt a little too tight at first, but it quickly loosened up after I tried it on a couple of times. Just something to keep in mind.

Ch 1, (1 sc, dec over next 2 st) around

Ch 1, (3 sc, dec over next 2 st) around

Ch 1, sc in each st around

Ch 1, (Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) around

Ch 1, (sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st; sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in next st) around

Ch 1, sc in each st around

Ch 1, (sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in next st) around

Now you're going to keep working rounds in sc, increasing 1 stitch every 1,2,3 or 4 rounds, or however often you need to. Again, you'll probably want to keep trying it on after every few rounds to find out how often you need to increase to shape it to your leg. You want it to be snug, if the tube is too loose it won't stay up. Continue until you reach the fullest part of your calf. Then you're going to decrease to fit the area where your calf gets smaller again, right below your knee:

Ch 1, (sc next 2 sts, dec over next 2 sts) around

Ch 1, (sc next st, dec over next 2 sts) around

(Ch 1, sc in each st around) 3 times.  FO

The last 2 decrease rows make stitches that are fairly far apart. This is the perfect place to weave in an elastic, ribbon, or string if you're so inclined. (If you use elastic, make sure it's not so tight that it interferes with the circulation to your legs or feet.)

If you have any questions, or if there's anything that's unclear or that clearly looks like a mistake, feel free to let me know! I'd love to see pics if anyone makes a pair.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007 10:08:27 PM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

madhelmeteer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007 06:47:49 AM »

Adorable.  I needed something similar for my son so I crocheted slipper boots too.  I used an elasticized top and suede for the soles.  I suppose great minds do think alike! Check out my Great Canadian Boots on my blog at www.madhelmeteer.blogspot.com .
Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007 09:44:16 AM »

Rather than garters you could probably run a small bit of that elastic cord through a row near the top. I love your idea though it looks great. As for the slipper boots have you seen this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=73848.0
We've been discussing in the kniftey knitter thread, how to make your own top part for the tut. And I don't see why you could crochet it.
Smiley Just thought I'd pass that long!
Great job I'd totally wear them! Who doesn't love tall cozy slippers? I was just thinking yesterday that little short ones don't keep your ankles warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007 08:10:10 PM »

Great Job! I think your patterns very good. I would maybe do a ribbing on the top and attach it to keep them up. I have done items with elastic cord before and it's a real bummer when your elastic breaks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mom.Me Makeover: Angela
Best Drugstore Concealers
How to Apply Individual False Eyelashes
Creative Ways To Rock Some New Spring Beauty Trends
Why Do I Look So Terrible After A Night Of Bad Sleep?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...