A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broken Spool Pin for Mystery Machine *Pictures inside*  (Read 1632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkladymajesta
« on: August 21, 2007 02:11:32 PM »

I hope someone can help me. This sewing machine is a gift and in transit the spool pin broke! The only problem is I have never heard of the machine. Neither has any of my local sewing repair shops. They all said to bring it in. What little info I do have has brought up nothing in google, ebay or amazon. So I turn it over to you guys. Here is what I do have:

The Manual: Not much help here. Except for the model #

The front of the machine says Silken on it in the top right hand corner of the machine. The internet broght up no sewing machines under this name.

The Back of the machine has dragonfly written on it. Though I did find a site that supplies dragonfly machines there wasn't a 660 there.

Oh and if you are curious. Here is the broken part.

Anyone know if there are replacement parts around? Or anyone see somthing I am missing? This is my first sewing machine that I don't have to share and want to use it as soon as I can. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
faerieflings

What? Lame? Never...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 02:32:40 PM »

It looks exactly like the spool pin on the back of my friends' Singer.  You should see if a Singer part would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait, where did those come from?  I swear I didn't go to the craft store, honest!

Let the baby crafting commence!  Cheesy
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 02:48:11 PM »

First I'd super glue that one.
Then I'd take the part with me & go look at machines to get a replacement if superglue doesn't do the job.
As long as the clip-y part where it attatches to the machine is the same, a little variation will be okay (say square arms instead of the wishbone shape they have).

Oh- don't toss the round disc that holds the thread in place- keep it! I've lost mine slowly over the years and I'm down to just one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oppsadaisy

i have to stop drinking so much coffee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007 02:50:56 PM »

spool pin breaking-
i had the same thing happen to me a week after my husband brought me my sewing machine - i was too embarrassed to tell him (why they had such a important thing made from not to strong plastic i don't know - and on my machine its just in perfect alignment with the handle - a disaster waiting to happen)
so what did  i do
Super Glued it back on  - and it worked great for about three months (of alot of use) and then i work up the courage to tell my husband ! lol
sorry i don't know the machine
good luck!
Judith
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything has an end....
except a sausage which has two
darkladymajesta
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007 03:29:19 PM »

Wow such quick responses! I really appreciate the help. I litterally shed tears over this one (and its not my fault  Undecided)

It looks exactly like the spool pin on the back of my friends' Singer.  You should see if a Singer part would work.

I thought of that. I have to wait until the places open up tomorrow.

First I'd super glue that one.
Then I'd take the part with me & go look at machines to get a replacement if superglue doesn't do the job.
As long as the clip-y part where it attatches to the machine is the same, a little variation will be okay (say square arms instead of the wishbone shape they have).

Oh- don't toss the round disc that holds the thread in place- keep it! I've lost mine slowly over the years and I'm down to just one.

I was going to keep the broken one even if gluing didn't work. I was going to try to glue it, but as the piece is one of the most used parts on the machine. I wanted to see if a replacement could be found.

spool pin breaking-
i had the same thing happen to me a week after my husband brought me my sewing machine - i was too embarrassed to tell him (why they had such a important thing made from not to strong plastic i don't know - and on my machine its just in perfect alignment with the handle - a disaster waiting to happen)
so what did  i do
Super Glued it back on  - and it worked great for about three months (of alot of use) and then i work up the courage to tell my husband ! lol
sorry i don't know the machine
good luck!
Judith

It broke in transit but I can't help but feel sooo guilty! Ill have to try the glue. The thing easily slides into the machine, meaning it was at one time replaceable. But I have no clue who to contact.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007 03:46:39 PM »

I don't know about your machine specifically, but I do know that when it comes to appliances and power tools it's very often the case that a single manufacturer will make several brands of an item.  Often it is just a few details and the name plaque that are different.  So there is hope!  Can/will the person who shipped it to you give you any information about where it was purchased?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 06:05:27 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: Edited to correct my typo. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007 04:05:46 PM »

Could this be of any help? They both are 660's...
http://zwmcl01.en.china.cn/op/SellInfoDetail/selinfid/1064483800/index.htm
I found it on this website:
http://search.en.china.cn/provide.php?type=1&prov=&ssk=STxtboxTitle&k=+Sewing+Supplies&Submit22.x=20&Submit22.y=18
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 04:08:08 PM by meowari » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasi292
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007 04:27:39 PM »

According to a friend of mine in the industry, DRAGONFLY operates out of South Africa and manufacture machines for other companies and itself.  They make Singer machines although they are not affiliated with Singer...the logic of that is lost on me Wink.  Since it looks like a Singer part it may have been designed along Singer specs.  You may get lucky with the singer dealer.  Hope this helps to allay your fears Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Smile, it increases your face value." Smiley
"POCHACCO RULES!!"
darkladymajesta
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007 07:56:03 PM »

That looks similar in style, except for the flowers and cuteness. I don't believe that is the one since it is DF660 and not plain ol 660

According to a friend of mine in the industry, DRAGONFLY operates out of South Africa and manufacture machines for other companies and itself.  They make Singer machines although they are not affiliated with Singer...the logic of that is lost on me Wink.  Since it looks like a Singer part it may have been designed along Singer specs.  You may get lucky with the singer dealer.  Hope this helps to allay your fears Smiley

I am going to go around to the local sewing machine shops and inquire about the piece maybe something will come up. Until then, I will glue it.
Thanks again everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007 08:07:18 PM »

I broke a metal one of those off once.  Yikes.

One suggestion, if you do glue it, I'd go with a two part epoxy.  Plastic is tough to glue and super glue might not be sturdy enough.

Good luck!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Chutney
How Tamarind Is Used in Indian Recipes
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk Recipe
How to Make Channa Masala Sauce
Maya Kaimal Talks About Her Cooking Experience
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...