A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: washing machine - so disappointed :O!  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

discocraze
« on: August 21, 2007 01:24:21 PM »

Not three minutes ago did I run downstairs to grab my first quilt out of the washing machine. IT took a good 30 hours and I was so proud of my work.

Not ONLY did the washing machine DYE the white of my quilt pink-
IT SHRED IT. Not just one or two... it literally SHRED it.

Help, please. I was on the verge of tears and my mother just kept staring at it going, "Wow, it shred it. Hunny, any idea why? Wow, it shred it. And it's pink. Wow." which... you know, her being a non-crafter didn't really understand my pain. Le sigh.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm afraid to bleach it or in any case wash it AGAIN in fear that it'll just ruin in more. How should I go about washing quilts in the future? PLEAS HELP.

Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So soon forsaken? Young men's love then lies
Not truely in their hearts, but in their eyes."
lorky
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 02:29:44 PM »

Did you just wash the top?  You can never ever wash just a top.  You have to quilt it and then wash it.  Even if you end up pulling the quilting out and off.  Otherwise the seam allowance isn;t enough to hold all the small pieces together. 

Did you prewash you fabrics?  They say to get a small scrap and soak it in wash to test for colorfastness.  If it was one rogue piece that did the bad pink stuff, then I recommend either pulling it out and putting in a new colorfast piece, or sucking it up and dying the whole thing pink. 

Be careful with bleach.  It sometimes will yellow fabrics.  Maybe try some oxyclean?  But the main thing with oxyclean is it puts a touch of blue on everything so it looks like bright white compared the the dull yellowish it used to be. 

I would try handwashing some of the pink spots with a q-tip and cleaner and see what works best. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethinAK
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007 05:36:22 PM »

I'm so sorry.  I'd be very sad.
In terms of the pink :  you can buy something called "dye magnet" - they look like dryer sheets and they will catch all the dye floating around in the water so your whites won't turn pink.  I expect a prewash would be smart - not just for colorfast reasons but also for shrinkage - different fabrics shrink at different rates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 07:54:23 PM »

well, i don't know that i can help fix it, but here are some ideas:

try using the shout that comes in the blue bottle. the directions recommend letting it sit for up to a week to try to lift stains.

the previous poster talked about dye magnet...shout also makes a dye catcher sheet...if i'm doing something huge or a big load, i'll use two of them. but they word awesomely - we're talking brand new flaming red kitchen towels with another red kitchen towel that had white...not a drop of red on the white.

and of course, what the others said: prewash! the only time i don't prewash fabric is if i'm making a bag...i borrowed a fellow sewer and bag addict's philosophy: i don't wash bags, i just make new ones. Cheesy

well, it's a major bummer that this happened to you...i truly was sad for you when i read your post. i hope that you can at least get the red dye to lift a little out of your white. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
discocraze
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007 08:25:52 PM »

Thank you fdor all your help && advice.

I had let it set for about an hour in oxiclean, but just gave in, washed the thing, and then stitched it back together, not caring about how it looked on the back. It was really adorable, and yes, I would much rather have it in white, but the pink doesn't look... HORRIBLE, just not was I had wished.

Either way, I've definetely learned some things for my next quilt - this will not stop me!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So soon forsaken? Young men's love then lies
Not truely in their hearts, but in their eyes."
Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007 08:30:01 AM »

Thats rough, what a hard way to learn about prewashing.

I was reading a post the other day where someone said that they never prewashed their fabrics, because they didn't expect people to wash the quilts.  Not an option at my house, or in most peoples homes I am guessing.

I don't know if they have the Linus Project where you are, but it is a good way to pass along a quilt to someone in need if you don't feel comfortable gifting it to a friend.

http://www.projectlinus.org/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saranormal Book Series Trailer
Marilu Henner on Her Audiobook, Total Memory Makeover
The Places Laura Griffin Visited Researching for Her Novels
City of Lost Souls Book Trailer
Merits of Mischief: The Bad Apple Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...