A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Radish Necklace! Now with semi-tutorial  (Read 2809 times)
Tags for this thread: radish , necklace , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vrykolakas
« on: August 21, 2007 12:51:10 PM »

This is my Radish Necklace. I made it after I insisted on having some Luna Lovegood Earrings, but I couldnt find a tut. I liked.

The problem is, it is way to heavy for an earring. And I couldnt just throw it away! So I made it into a necklace.

constructive critism is welcome!

sorry for the pic, I am not sure you can see it too well.  Smiley

Alright. TUTORIAL.

disclaimer *~this may be way more difficult than it has to be, if something is easily substituted, I say go for it! also I am a super messy craftster, my projects are not usually neat and tidy, this involved superglue, please do this in a well ventilated area!!! ( sometimes I wonder if I go out of my way to make it difficult like a twisted adventure of some sort)

heres the thing, Ive been busy, so no pictures Sad when I do this again I promise to take pictures!

Youre going to need
1. cotton pads like http://www.kosmetech.com/item.asp?idProduct=101&idCategory=10&idSubCategory=10 <--that ( I am sure you can substitute it with something similar.

2. white string

3. orangey-red, white, and green seed beads

4. gold wire (for the seed beads)

5. super glue

6. wire cutters

7. a loop for the necklace chain to go through

First what you need to do is take the cotton pad apart. for mine I used about 1/2 of the cotton pad. roll it up.

the string is to help you shape it. knot the strng around the cotton and tie it secruly, then us it to manipulate the ball into the shape you desire (mine was like a tear drop). to get the shape, dont be afraid to wrap it tightly. After your done, either knot it around the ball, or glue it down.

For the leaves. I used the tutorial here http://community.livejournal.com/hp_costuming/793901.html#cutid2 (use the green seed beads and the wire) after I was done, I took the wire ends, and wrapped those around the cotton swab, putting the leaves at the top, and wraping it around the bottom ( this is hard to understand I know, Im sorry) a little glue holds it in place.

after this is where I screwed in the loop between the leaves, its not hard, cause its cotton, again, a little glue to hold it in place.

then for the body... first take some gold wire and secure it around the leaves and loop. then start threading the beads onto the wire. as more and more beads got on, I started to wrap them around the body of the radish, using a tab of glue to secure them as I went, Its a bit of a tedious project, and can get messy. I estimated at about where I wanted to change from the orange to the white, somewhere close to halfway is good. I tried to make it so you cant see any of the cotton underneath ( that was the hardest part)

at the end, you leave a tail for the root of the radish, then you secure the last bead how ever you see fit ( some people knot, some curl the wire, some thread it back though, I threaded it)

Wow, I am sure I just confused anyone who red that, so ask questions, and I will try to fix it soon!  Embarrassed Undecided Grin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 05:49:02 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
k^2
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 01:01:17 PM »

Great job, I really like it.  It really looks like a shiny raddish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on in, I'll put on a pot of bourbon.
HootHootHope
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 01:44:14 PM »

that's really cute, it reminds me of Mario Bros... you know, these guys: http://www.geekculture.dk/bedler/system/scaled/scaled_2734.jpg
but those are turnips not radishes.... but i love it, it's great!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 02:54:04 PM by EmilyFlew - Reason: please don't hotlink to images that aren't yours! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elcoeda

The poets let a generation down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007 01:49:14 PM »

It's really cute, but for the record the "radishes" luna lovegood wears are actually orangy-colored not pink ^_^

Anyways, nice job !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vrykolakas
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007 01:58:11 PM »

thanks guys!

elcoeda- They actually are orangy-red. like I said my camera is a peice of poo. (still I didnt really know that when I was making them, I just didnt have any regualr red beads lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpoodle230
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007 03:02:44 PM »

Thats really cute! Would you consider making a tut? Because well, i dont have piered ears and i'd love a good radish pendant Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007 07:11:24 PM »

That came out awesome!! You're right...it's a bit big for earrings, but I think I like the idea of a Radish necklace better. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miserylovesme
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007 05:21:56 AM »

Awesome. I'd love to know how you did that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vrykolakas
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007 03:52:52 AM »

Cheesy Thanks guys!! I would be more than happy to create a tut, but I will work on it Friday (today (Thursday)I am heading out for a mini vacation). thanks for all your nice comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpoodle230
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007 01:12:23 PM »

sounds good =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Report - Sleeves
How to Personalize a T-Shirt with Fabric Markers
Easy Fourth of July Fashions for the Entire Family
What to Wear to the Gym
4th of July Americana Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...