A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter Sports Beanie Related Question - Moisture Wicking?  (Read 422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2007 10:55:04 AM »

So I've been looking through the fiber content of all my fav. snowboarding brands and I'm honestly kinda suprised that most if not all knits seem to be acrylic. I would have thought there would be some wool for added warmth.

I'm doing a larger scale order for a group (20 beanies) and I'd like to know what you think would be the best fiber to use? Ideally a moisture wicking fiber as these boys get schvetty.

thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

candicane
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 11:21:00 AM »

Last time I looked at ski/snowboard stuff (hats, sweaters, etc) I was also surprised by the acyrlic content of many items. I don't know why so much acrylic is used. My guesses are profit margin and ease of care. Schvetty boys might not be into handwashing after a day of boarding!

I would stick to a superwash wool. Warm, but washable. I'm currently knitting a hat with Shibui sock yarn. I am knitting it single strand, but you could do it double stranded. You didn't mention a price range, but I'm sure you can find some reasonable superwashes or sock yarns. (KnitPicks and the Webs sale come to mind.)

Candice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 11:27:51 AM »

superwash is a good point. They wouldn't think twice about throwing it in the dryer! Roll Eyes

I just want to make quality 1OAK gear for zee boys. Who knows, maybe this will be how I get a job designing at Burton (ha!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyb444
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007 09:56:00 PM »

Knitty had an article about socks for diabetics a while back, and it discussed the wicking properties of acrylic. It also discusses the sock getting smashed down in the shoe, and causing blisters on the feet, neither of which matter for a hat (obviously), but it did say that acrylic has decent wicking properties. I agree that superwash wool would be best, but a superwash wool/acrylic blend would work well too, I would think.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/FEATdiabeticfeet.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllenKnits
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007 05:23:08 AM »

I got an email from Yarnmarket and K1C2 has a yarn called Wick, it sounds like something you might want to look at for your hats.
Ellen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing Layers
Macromedia Flash 8 - Selecting a Flash Player Version for a New Project
Macromedia Flash 8 - Saving, Exporting and Testing
Macromedia Flash 8 - Accessing and Organizing Panels
Macromedia Flash 8 - Navigating the Stage Area
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...