A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make and Take for a Spa Party?  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 21, 2007 09:47:53 AM »

I'm an event planner for the student activities council at my university and we want to plan a spa party for the students. Right now we're planning to bring in someone to do facials and manicures and have refreshments and things, but I want to have some make it and take it stations.

Because it's going to be in a large room that's normally used as an art gallery and for speakers and things, there isn't a lot of table space and outlets so we were looking for things that either don't have to be heated for long or don't have to be heated at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we could have? A friend told suggested maybe salt and sugar scrubs and buying unscented lotion and letting people add their own fragrance. Is there anything else that would be easy to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink zebra
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 11:44:00 AM »

bath salts wold probably be ok. you'd just have to provide several fragrances and probably colors, and then people just mix in fill them in little celophane bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeni_loves_you
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 12:45:25 PM »

Cellophane bags! That would be a good idea. We were planning to get little plastic containers, but bags would be more cost effective.
Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007 07:33:29 AM »

Bath salts are super easy and very popular. Make them more exotic by mixing sea salts, Dead sea salts, and Epsom salts. Cellophane bags run about $5.00 for 100, and you can get some cute ribbon or colourful twist ties to finish it off. There are tons of cute envelopes and boxes on the 'net if you want to go further and make something like that.

Bath bombs are cute and easy as well. Get a basic recipe, a few colours, a few scents, some silicone ice cube molds from somewhere like Ikea or Linens & Things, wait 45 minutes, pop them out and you've got bath bombs! (If you roll the bath bombs in your hands to make small round ones, you don't even need to buy molds!)

Beeswax candles are similarly easy and cute.
Here's a nice tutorial for sushi candles: http://www.wicksandwax.com/sushi.htm
I don't know if you are near a Daiso, but get some sushi take out boxes (18 for $2.00) and some fake grass and you have some lovely candles! (Ignore the part about using a hair dryer. I just rub the wax with my fingers and it gets soft enough.) You can cut them in advance -- beeswax sheets are $1.50 per sheet near me. For sushi candles I can get 8 strips of the white out of one sheet, and about 16 pieces of colour out of one sheet. Or you could make votive type candles, just using one colour.

Bubble bath and body wash are simple if you use a pre-made base. (You can make bubble bath, body wash, and shampoo cold from scratch if you have the supplies.) Add some colour and fragrance, bottle it, and there you go. And pre-made lotion bases are about as easy. To make filling the bottles easier, buy some disposable plastic piping bags (again, if you are near a Daiso they are $2.00 for 18) and squirt the lotion into the bottles. It's so much easier than using funnels and way less messy!

Sugar scrubs are fun, but if you are going to buy a base, this might cost quite a bit. You can make your own non-emulsified scrub (loads of recipes on the 'net for this) and save some money, but it will take time for you to make it.

You could also make various things like cuticle oils (mix oils together, bottle), massage oils (again, mix and bottle), or hair oil.

Or you could make a perfume spray. I made one with my kids that was really basic -- 96% water, 2% fragrance, 2% polysorbate 20 (to emulsify the water with the oils). You can call it a soothing spray (lavender & eucalyptus) or a stimulating spray (something minty) or a cooling spray (peppermint) or a perfume spray (something perfumey). Put it into a spray bottle and you're done.

What about a clay mask? You mix some clays together, add water or a hydrosol or yogurt or something that suits the skin type and you've got a mask. For the make & take, you would just make the dry part and the student could add the liquid part at home. Cellophane bags to the rescue again!

Gels are fun too -- and they can be done cold. Mix water with the polymer gel, wait a few minutes, add the lye solution and you have gel. I have done glitter gel with the youth in my classes -- add as much glitter as you want, mix, package. They loved it! I've also done aloe vera gel with them for summer time.

I have found when I do spa crafts with my youth groups, they are big on the packaging and labelling. So make sure you offer labels and pens and stickers and other things like that for making one's own labels. There is something so satisfying about making up a name for your product and scent -- I think it really makes it your own!

As for colours and scents, it doesn't matter if you offer 3 or 30, people are going to complain that something they like isn't there. I would suggest going with a small colour sampler pack with the basics -- pink, purple, green, blue, and yellow -- and about 5 scents. I try to have a variety of scents -- one floral, one fruity, one foody, one basic, and one complicated (usually I go for spring dew, pineapple & cilantro, chocolate, lavender, and oatmeal milk & honey, but I do change it according to season and trend. Pink Sugar is very popular as well!)

Depending on the size of the package, you'll need quite a lot of fragrance. I do 2 ounce/60 ml bottles with my craft group of 20, and we use about 1 ml of fragrance oil per bottle. For bath salts, you would scent at 2%, so for 100 grams of bath salts (I would use this for 2 baths), you would want 3 to 5 ml of fragrance. Same with the bath bombs.

I hope I've offered some ideas. I love doing these things with my youth groups, and they seem to love it, too! (Sorry for the long post...) Let me know if you need some recipes and I can send them to you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007 02:08:10 PM »

I was thrilled to see this!  I'm a student activities coordinator also and am planning a spa day in December.  I was wondering what easy to do thing we could hand out.  I think that maybe we'll just make up some things and give them out to participants.

Our college has a cosmetology program and they will be doing manicures and facials for free, so a nice "thank you" bag would be nice too.

Thanks for all the ideas, swift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007 02:06:40 PM »

This is such a cool idea! I bet it will be a blast.

Another idea for your bath salts: You can make fizzing bath salts by adding 2 parts baking soda and 1 part Citric Acid to your salt mix. These are really neat! I'd recommend using a powdered colorant though, like mica, instead of liquid if you make these. The liquid colorants tend to either set the fizzing off early or cause the salts to go rock hard the next day.

Good luck at your party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove. com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Party Appetizers - Boursin Bruschetta
Holiday Party Appetizers - Baked Dill Delight
Holiday Party Appetizers - Warm Raspberry Brie
Holiday Party Appetizers - Artichoke Dip
Quick & Easy Holiday Party Appetizers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...