A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,309
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE (FINISHED!!)  (Read 13192 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chattyKathi
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007 03:38:10 PM »

you totally rock!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007 06:53:51 PM »

Did you finish Optimus Prime?? I would LOVE to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007 07:20:41 PM »

Did you finish Optimus Prime?? I would LOVE to see it!

It's in reply #26. Wink You skipped too far ahead! Smiley I'll get some more pics up after Halloween and show off the back, etc.

Thanks for all the rocks, everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
ica_grnKhameleon

I see a green chameleon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007 07:43:26 AM »

WOW!!! this is amazing!! you're so talented!!! GAHHHH!!! I love TRANSFORMERS and I have the BIGGEST crush on Bumblebee. (O.o kind of weird, right?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
        Alexander Pope, "Eloisa to Abelard"
        English poet & satirist (1688 - 1744)
mariposaluna
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007 08:43:30 AM »

OMG! You've definitely won the Best Mom award! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be blessed with inspiration,
Mariposa de la Luna

My pictures
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?ppuser=110165&cat=500
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007 09:48:14 AM »

I LOVE this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirsa
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007 11:04:35 AM »

I've been wanting to make a cool bot costume for about half a year now, but the only info I could find online prior to now involved either using craft foam (heat-shaping it and painting it), or making fiberglass armor pieces.  Your method looks a lot more comfortably wearable and durable, so I'm very curious how you made the armor pieces.  If you've got any tips after having made these amazing costumes, I'd love to hear them.  I don't know much about fusing or machine quilting and only have a vague idea what headliner foam is (I think I bought some once and used it in a costume not knowing what it was).  Anyway, the costumes are totally awesome, they definitely rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007 12:07:32 PM »

Basically what I did to make the pieces was this: I would start off by cutting up paper to figure out the size/shape of the pieces, and then use this as a pattern. The headliner foam is from Joann's (on the big rolls), and it's about 1/4" thick with fabric on one side. It's the same stuff you'd see on the ceiling of a car. I got a ton of that Fuse 'n' Bond Ultra Hold fusible web with the paper backing (found in the interfacing section). I first covered a couple yards of the headliner with the fusible web, leaving the paper on. Then trace my pattern piece and cut it out of the headliner. Then you remove the paper and fuse it to one layer of your fabric, leaving at least 5/8" inch seam allowance in the fabric. You don't have to cut the fabric neatly at this point, because you'll trim it after you sew it. Then put a second layer of fabric next to the first, right sides together, foam facing up. Sew them together all the way around, about 3/16" away from the edge of the foam. Use a zipper foot so that you don't have to put the foam under it. Now, you've sewn all the way around, so to turn the piece right side out, make a slit in the center of the facing fabric on the back side. This will be facing the foundation, so you'll never see the big hole that you've just made, and you don't need to sew it up.

Now, caveats. The Fuse 'n' Bond is brutal to sewing machines. That is why I fuse it to the foam first, and not the fabric. You want to avoid sewing through it as much as possible. The way the pieces are constructed, you shouldn't have to sew through it for those. There are occasions where I needed to sew through it, though, like putting the heads together, and it gums up your needle and is just awful. So keep that in mind.

Also, the fusing temperature of the fuse 'n' bond and the melting temperature of the fabrics, especially the metallic one, are very close. My iron was set to 4 or 5, and I never put the iron on the metallic fabric directly, always had a scrap of the web's backing sheet that I used to put in between.

There might be a better way to fuse the foam and the fabrics together, but this is the method that I used. It was great for the flames - I could just fuse it to the red fabric, cut out the flames, and then iron them on. The polyester ponte fabric does not fray, so I didn't have to do any further stitching over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007 12:14:09 PM »

Oh, I forgot something else I was going to say. So some of the pieces have folds/creases in them. What I would do for those is to use multiple pieces of foam, one for each plane of the 3D piece, and then fuse them to the fabric about 3/16" apart, so that the piece could bend. Or I would space them so that I could sew a dart in the piece after putting the layers together, and the dart would bring the two sides together into their final shape. Like making a paper box. Hope this makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
isolda
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007 12:24:04 PM »

these are absolutely AMAZING!@ I wanna be optimus prime now dangit! lol

seriously though, wow. you friggin ROOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Driver Information Screen | Autoblog Short Cuts
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Cockpit | Autoblog Short Cuts
Justin Bell Interview | Shut Up And Drive Behind The Scenes
Rhys Millen Ride-Along | Shut Up And Drive Behind The Scenes
Alessandro Zanardi Prepares for the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...