A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE (FINISHED!!)  (Read 13498 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2007 08:34:50 AM »

PLEASE JOIN IN THIS THREAD IF YOU WILL BE MAKING A TRANSFORMERS COSTUME THIS YEAR! Smiley

I have an almost 3-year old son who LOVES transformers or anything robot, really. He doesn't get to see the movie, seeing how he's just 3, but everytime he sees those transformers on tv, he screams "'BOT!!!! 'BOT!!!!!! Mama!!! 'BOT!!!!!!" lol

Apparently they have come out with an Optimus Prime costume for sale. But the smallest size is 4-6, which is going to be huge on him. So of course his crafty mom who cannot say no to a fun project is going to have to make a transformer costume for him.  Grin

So I went to the fabric store last night and bought a bunch of stuff. Over the next month or so, all this fabric will TRANSFORM into a couple of costumes. heh heh

There are various colors of polyester ponte, stretchy metallic, and headliner foam fabric. All from Joann's. I was debating whether to use the ponte or instead get satin so it would all be shiny, but I decided in the end to get the ponte since it has a little sheen to it but more importantly, a little bit of stretch.

I'm going to try to make it "soft-sculpture"-like, and that's where the headliner foam comes in.

The plan is to make a Bumblebee costume for my son, and then make an Optimus Prime costume for my husband. I'll use black shirts/leggings for the foundation, and then make car pieces to attach to it.

My son's birthday is at the end of september, and I'm hoping to have this all done by then. I'm going to make the Optimus Prime costume in secret, so that my husband can surprise him at his birthday party. Then they can wear their costumes the next month for Halloween.

Anyhoo, I thought it'd be fun to start a thread and document my progress, and if anyone else is going to be making Transformers costumes this year, feel free to join in and maybe we can swap ideas for construction.

I probably won't get started until next week, because I'm giving a beginning sewing presentation on saturday for my mom's group and I need to work on that. But once that's done, it'll be robot-central at my house! Smiley

FINISHED PICS!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 08:25:44 PM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
SavoryxPie
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007 08:42:43 AM »

Oh. My. Sweet Jesus.

I just want you to know that you are the most incredible mother ever to grace this sweet green earth. Your child does not apreciate you.

...I want a transformers costume o~o

this rocks. YOU ROCK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xbostonvanillax
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 08:44:19 AM »

eeh mahhh gawwwd. i loved that movie. must go actually read the actual post now. but dressing up as a transformer?!  Shocked

awesome idea. my friend would love that. (and he's 17, four years older than me) hahha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loving since summer '07 <3
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007 01:24:38 PM »

How do you plan on making the car parts?

I'm in awe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007 03:13:44 PM »

How do you plan on making the car parts?

I'm not sure yet. lol I'm just going to wing it, and rely on a lot of machine quilting to define the details. I figure that I'll cut the foam up into the approximate shapes for the different pieces first, temporarily attaching them to a foundation to fine-tune their dimensions, then I'll cover them with fabric.

I don't want to make it too elaborate - but just a little more complicated than a store-bought costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 12:54:58 PM »

I've started on my almost3-yr-olds Bumblebee costume. And so I just made some little robot hands! Smiley

I made a little stencil, then copied that onto the silver fabric 4 times, layered the silver fabric over the headliner foam and then machine-quilted it. Cut away the extra foam, then sew two sides together, then voila!

Now I'll probaby work on the head. That's going to be a puzzle!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 12:55:20 PM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
locamama
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007 07:00:46 PM »

You're robot hands are great.  I can't wait to see the finished costume. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanaelle
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007 09:06:04 PM »

woah! those are awesome! I can't wait to see how the costume turns out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007 10:39:43 AM »

Sorry it's taken so long to post here! These costumes are tough! :lol: Needless to say, I didn't finish in time for my son's birthday party in september. I'm pretty much done with his Bumblebee costume, except for the feet, and I'm finally getting started on Optimus Prime. I think I got a little carried away!

Here are the Bumblebee pics. It's not perfect, but my son loves it. Will get some action shots when the second costume is done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007 10:41:22 AM »

WOW!  Shocked Thats incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Santa Montefiore Discusses Her Novel The Woman from Paris
A Trailer for Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding
The 10 Best Non-Fiction Books of 2012
The 10 Best Novels of 2012
Simon Mole Performs His Poem "Making Bread"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...