A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first Cheytown shirt-dress!!  (Read 1251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

earthmonkey
« on: February 16, 2008 01:25:08 PM »

This is my first reconstructed shirt dress for a kid / toddler following Cheytown's fabulous tutorial (many thanks Cheytown!!). This wee dress started life as a cream-coloured cotton women's button front work shirt donated to the cause by my best friend. I forgot to take a shot of the shirt prior to taking my scissors to it!!  Tongue

Following the tute, I hacked it up with my trusty scissors, used bits off the sleeves to make the cap straps and the back of the shirt became the front of this dress. Unlike the dress that Cheytown used, this shirt did not have a yoke. This made the front of the dress rather uninteresting. Here is the finished front .

So I added a piece of printed fabric from my stash to make the bodice more interesting effectively creating that second layer of fabric that a yoke would have provided. I added a bit of lace trimming to the top of the dress.

Here is the back of the little shirtdress - the front of the original shirt with the buttons has now become the back of the dress. I added the ties in the printed fabric to add a bit of interest to the back. I got a friend's little girl to try it on and it looked really nice on her. Tunic length - not dress length as the original shirt was not a long one and I had to work with the amount of fabric I had there.

I am really thrilled with this little dress. Sorry I dont have a proper model for this dress my dd is only 9 months old and itll be quite some time before she grows into this!! LOL!! This was a really fun project to do. Thanks again Cheytown! I have 5 6 plain coloured ladies button front work shirts to move onto now as my friend had a clear-out and gave me several shirts to use as experimental fodder! DH doesnt actually own very many shirts so I shall have to seek elsewhere for longer mens shirts to reconstruct.

Thanks for looking!
Earthmonkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 05:53:55 PM »

The front looks great and I love the ribbon sash - its very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

earthmonkey
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008 03:02:13 AM »

Thank you Vegbee!
I think i made the shoulder straps too short ... I'll get it right next time!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try a Glam, Side Bun for Homecoming
Get a Faux Hawk Hairstyle
Knotted Hair Style Tutorial
How to Style a Side Bun
Michelle Obama Sports Brand New Highlighted Do
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...