A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Full Tutorial To Dying Your Hair With Henna  (Read 22534 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daiconharuko
Daikon Eklectik

this daikon is eklectik

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2006 01:50:33 AM »

I think I'm going to try it. I've been dying my hair two different red shades for about a year now... and since i have dreadlocks I think I should try something more natural for my natural style.

I manage a beauty supply, and we sell this one stuff called Hennalucent. It doesn't have any metallic salts in it, nor does it have any peroxide as another product we have, Bigen (japanese henna color) and it's 100% Organic. I have a customer who has been using the red shade from it, and it's absolutely brilliant! I might try this or actually buy the stuff online to mix it myself.

And yes, it is hard to get out, but you might also be able to use a haircolor remover instead of bleach to get it out. Haircolor removers actually break down the color molecules and removes only the unwanted excess of tint. I've used it on semi-colors as well as perm. colors and I got great results. It's actually better than just bleaching it... because even with red chemical dyes you still get the bright orange hair when you go to bleach it out. Red is a really hard color to get out because almost all natural hair colors will turn red when you bleach them out. Red just... stays red (meaning orange).

If you dont' want to invest in a good haircolor remover (i say invest because they are more expensive than bleach) use a bleach with a BLUE base to it. Blue gets rid of orange. You still might have some orangey tones in it.. but it wont be as bad as straight up carrot top red. If it's slightly orange you can buy a toner and tone the rest of it out.

Gah, I feel like i'm talking about work on my day off. Anyway! I shall try the henna.. and it will be good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2006 07:29:55 AM »

and if you want henna to STAIN or produce a COLOR, it seems as though you have to mix henna with LEMON juice (or something ACIDIC) in order to release the dye from the henna. and let it sit over nite. this mix will dye your hair AND condition it.

otherwise, that recipe that was posted above is great if you want to give your hair an extra awesome boost of conditioning.

olive oil is also a good alternative acidic to release the dye...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueblythe
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2006 08:31:57 AM »

I finally took the plunge and dyed my hair with the caca rouge henna from Lush and I love it. It may be a little more orangey-red than I had hoped for so next time I dye it I'm going to mix in a bit of the chesnut henna from Lush. My hair is so soft and shiny now. My only problem was that I found it really hard to wash out. I shampooed twice and once it dried it was still really greasy. I ended up washing it twice more after that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2006 09:58:20 AM »

ok now i am trying to prepare my henna mix with lots of replacements...

two lemon's juice
half cup of tea (cold)
water

we'll see what's gonna happen....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lollepop
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2007 07:57:19 PM »

hello, hello

well, first of all i want to thank the people who have been posting here! your advice is great for a newbaby like me Smiley

i have some doubts i wish someone could answer for me Smiley

my boyfriend has been talking about dying his hair red for a while now, and then i came across with this! i talked about it with him and he is excited about trying with henna.
now, he wants a bright red like this:

and his hair color is this:

so, i was wondering if there are any ingredients so we will get the color he wants or a really close one (for what i see, you can use coffee to make it darker etc)

thank you, thank you!!  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2007 08:12:09 PM »

hello, hello

well, first of all i want to thank the people who have been posting here! your advice is great for a newbaby like me Smiley

i have some doubts i wish someone could answer for me Smiley

my boyfriend has been talking about dying his hair red for a while now, and then i came across with this! i talked about it with him and he is excited about trying with henna.
now, he wants a bright red like this:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4858/kirkeristwu7.jpg

and his hair color is this:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9785/dsc00647sf0.jpg

so, i was wondering if there are any ingredients so we will get the color he wants or a really close one (for what i see, you can use coffee to make it darker etc)

thank you, thank you!!  Kiss

We used to do purple by mixing henna with grape juice (juice, not drink) - so what about henna with cherry juice?  most reds WILL fade, though

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2007 06:14:39 AM »

Ha ha ha - I never would have thought to try grape juice! I've done henna lots of times, and usually try to intensify the redness...i don't know if the shade you want is possible, lollepop, but cherry or beet juice would be worth a shot. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2007 06:27:06 AM »

HennaForHair has a LOT of really useful information on their site, including what henna really is and is not, the dangers of using hair colorings with PPD, and henna formulations to help you get the color you're looking for.  LOTS of useful information there.  Other people have mentioned that site earlier in this thread, but it's fantastic enough that it bears repeating.

Henna vs. Synthetic Hair Color

(I'm calling it synthetic hair color instead of chemical hair color because, let's face it, everything is a chemical, including water.)

Henna - that is, pure 100% henna, can safely be used over synthetically colored hair.  Look for Body Art Quality (BAQ) henna, which does not contain the metallic salts and is 100% pure henna.

Henna that has metallic salts added, when used over synthetically colored hair, can make that hair either break, turn green, or smoke.  The problem is that the added metallic salts chemically react to the synthetic dye.

The metallic salts are added to either a. make the henna appear brighter green and therefore fresher or b. change the color your hair will turn from the application of the henna.

If you use BAQ henna, you can safely color over synthetically colored hair, or use synthetic hair colorings later.  No need to chop hair off or grow it out.  If you use henna with metallic salts, then it is not safe to use synthetic hair color.

The problem with henna is that if it's not labelled BAQ, then you don't really know what's in it.  It can say 100% pure, but still have the metallic salts.  I ran into such a box of henna at a local grocery store a few weeks ago.  It said 100% pure, but on their web site, they say that it has "added mild chemicals".  Well, no.  Not the same.  But there are no labelling requirements in this country and in many, if not most, of the other henna producing countries. 

That's why I suggest getting BAQ - Body Art Quality - only.  That's the only henna that's guaranteed to be pure henna and nothing but the henna.

Clear Henna and Black Henna and Red Henna

What's been called clear henna or neutral henna is actually senna or cassia (Cassia obovata), a whole other plant.  What's been called black henna is either indigo (Indigofera tinctoria) or henna with PPD (metallic salts, and very very dangerous to use).  Henna, the real henna is from Lawsonia inermis.

Is henna permanent?

Yup.  On the hennaforhair site, she has a downloadable pdf - 6 MB, so fairly large, but so worth downloading and reading through - she explains the science behind henna and how it works.

In case you doubt her qualifications, let me tell you that she's writing her PhD dissertation on henna. 

Also, to the poster who asked about not shampooing...  There is a lot of information on no-shampoo cleaning methods and, well, really, pretty much everything you ever want to know about taking better care of hair, over at the Long Hair Community.  It's well worth spending time browsing around and reading.  Lots of different methods of taking care of hair and lots of discussion and experimentation around it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2007 01:31:02 PM »

quidscribis, thanks for the input and links.. but you are right about henna types.. you can never be sure whats inside. .so better follow the rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beccabur
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2007 06:35:20 PM »

I dyed my hair with henna this winter.  I used the stuff for sale at hennaforhair.com, followed their instructions (mixing it with lemon juice), and I loved the way it turned out.

this is what it looked like before, directly after, and a month later:

it's been about 4 months now, and it still looks pretty red under the sun.  I'd definitely do it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Protect Your Hair from Chlorine and Saltwater
How to Prevent Static Cling in Your Hair
How to Protect Your Hair from the Sun
How to Put in Clip-in Hair Pieces
How to Blow Dry Your Hair Faster
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...