A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Full Tutorial To Dying Your Hair With Henna  (Read 22712 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2004 03:47:10 AM »

If you dont dye hair with chemical products before you can dye your hair with natural henna. Henna is a natural dust to use for hair or skin dying.. The best thing is to use natural one instead of the using the dye products includes henna. Always use the natural one for best results.

To dye your hair with henna you will need :

at least 250 gr of dust henna
a table spoon olive oil
1 yellow part of an egg (dont use the white part)
1 cup of tea (must be cold)

mix these into a plastic bowl until it mixes very well. Then apply your hair parts with a brush. After you dye all parts, take the henna on the bowl and apply all yo your hair and make moves like you wash your hair... Then you need to put a shower cap to your hair and a scarf. Henna must be stay on your hair at least 8 hours.

Note : Please be sure that  your hair has never been dyed with regular products or permed, straightened. Henna will go away as your hair grows so you may not be able to dye it again with regular dye.

Note 2 : Henna only gives shades of red. So if your hair color is in light colors be aware of the results may not make you satisfy.. If you have light hair you can use henna and regular dye mixes to give it a more natural dye. Those henna/regular dyes has every colors you want and not the same thing with natural henna...

the red arrow is pointing the henna. Henna is sold as dust and is in green color. You may find it in your local spice shop.

A closure look into henna.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004 03:48:50 AM by tinybits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amanelle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004 09:10:25 AM »

If I have dyed hair now how long should I wait before using Henna on my hair? I dyed it at the beginning of November.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004 03:22:43 PM »

wait until your hair is free of color, i.e.: it has all the dye grown out and cut off.  otherwise the henna color that usually turns a nice deep orange to red could come out brassy or even green.  not pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004 11:43:34 PM »

be sure that your hair is completely dye-free before you apply henna. and one more thing:
be careful when you are applying the henna, it can dye your skin too; if you dont want to orange spots on your face or on your hands wear gloves and dont let the henna dry on your skin.

thanks girlypirate... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whitebeltamerica
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004 12:30:41 AM »

I've been dye free for a couple of years now, I used to dye my hair constantly. Since my hair is naturally red I don't think I'll be using this method anytime soon, but let's say I wanted to sometime in the future.... I'm vegan... could I use anything other than an egg?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<i>Vanessa America<i/>
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004 11:36:25 PM »

whitebeltamerica: no matter your hair color is red you should give it a shot, because henna makes your hair more healthy..
you dont have to use the good ol' egg version.. here is another mix to use:

at least 250 gr of henna
walnut leaves
a cup of tea...

boil down walnut leaves and tea together when it cool down mix with henna (take out the leaves)...

I think, egg and olive oil version stands for stronger and shiny hair.. the walnut leaves and tea version is only for produce good color..

please read cabanird's reply and visit the websites she mentions...

I am here just for give you an idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiquidScissors

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004 07:40:13 PM »

Henna is not bad for your hair, But I would recommend having it professionally done, because it can be very messy, and stain many of things.  You cannot bleach your hair with Henna in it, so If you ever feel like having blonde (or any multi colors for that matter) hair after doing henna it will not be possible... unless you cut off the hair done with henna.  I would recomend only using henna if you have short hair, or are not impulsive (like I am) with your hair.  When I was in cosmotology school we only would use guys or girls with really short hair for henna models... just in case they change their mind.  You also should wrap your hair in a plastic cap while the henna processes and sit under heat.  That is what I was told.  This is why I would consider getting it done at a salon or even a school.  I went to Aveda for schooling, and to get henna done there at the school was fairly cheap..... plus you wont have to worry about making a mess.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004 03:22:49 AM »

you can actually purchase "colorless" henna (do a google search if curious, 'cause i got nothing on where) that you can use to condition your hair, without coloring it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004 07:59:59 AM »

hmmm.. get your henna done at salon? you gotta be kidding me... lol.. henna is a traditional thing here and it always done by mothers or grandmothers and it is not a big deal since it is a natural product. in the past they dont have anything but henna to dye hair so it is a mother to girl tradition...
i think you should not use any other regular hair dyes due to their ingredients, it makes your hair dry and takes your hair shine away...
you dont need to seat in a hot place when you cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and a scarf, it will keep your head warm enough. it is better get your henna done before you go to bed so it can stay there untill morning then you can wash it off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiquidScissors

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004 08:27:22 AM »

I understand it is a tradition, but most people seriously wont know what they are doing, since a lot of people have never even heard of the process.  I guess it depends where you are from.  Anyway that is how we learned it at school, so maybe there are different ways.. because how we do it it doesnt take 8 hours to process, more like 1, and it turns out great, but maybe thats where the heat comes in, since heat allows stuff to process faster..
So maybe not goto a salon, but at least have a friend or someone help you out if you have never done it befor.  But I understand where your coming from , I was just making some suggestions.

as for hair color, It also depends what hair color you do use.  Box colors are all the same, but I went to Aveda and everything there is organic, and the hair color we used and I still use is very undamaging, in fact the demi line is actually good for your hair. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Professional Hair Color Technique Lesson
Hair Foil Coloring Technique
How to Style Long Hair with Mogi Hair Education
Tapered Hair Cut Tutorial
How to Get a Khloe Kardashian Wedding Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...