A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset Tops?  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 21, 2007 02:04:38 AM »

I was at Torrid in Las Vegas in May and found this really adorable corset top by Tripp. Unfortunately, it was WAY more than I could afford. So I waited until it went on clearance online. Then they didn't have my size in the color I wanted. So I'm trying to figure out how to make my own.

A friend of mine told me to make a corset and attach a shirt under it, but I want something a little more seamless.
This is the top I wanted.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could create something similar? I want the boning, so all of the corset top patterns I've found wouldn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated. School just started again and I'd like to make something new to wear. (Especially since there's this cute guy in one of my English classes. LoL.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007 12:58:39 PM »

That top is really really cute!

What if you added boning to something like Simplicity 6703?

(the middle one on this page:  http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=6&type=0&sec=71&StartRow=10 )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
your_alice
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 01:31:30 PM »

I can't find it on the website, but there was a pattern just like that in the Simplicity summer book. It was a costume underwear pattern, with two bodices like that (It's not actually a corset) and I think a chemise. Anyway, I'm sure you could find something just like that with the boning and all if you started looking though old underwear patterns, especially stuff in the Reniasance/ Victorian theme. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 08:07:01 PM »

I bought that top in red for a bachlorette party in Vegas! 
Anyways...I'd get a pattern for a fitted top and just split it down the front, add hook and eye tape, and perhaps lacing tape in the back.
If you want an actual corset, get a quality pattern.  It makes a hell of a lot of difference in the finished product.  I use the Laughing Moon Dore, but it's really up to you.

Sorcha

Here's my basic Dore, pre-pregnancy.  I'm planning one for maternity wear to help support the back and belly, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
jeni_loves_you
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 11:07:47 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice! I found the top of eBay, but it's still slightly out of my price range. I may try to make something similar when I get my craft room done (painting takes forever when you do one wall every few days...)
I don't know if I definitely want the boning or not. I know I'm not looking for something as structured as a corset but just something to give me a little more shape than just...marshmallow.
I'm going to Wal-Mart this weekend with a friend so I'll be on the lookout for good patterns.
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ldykat
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007 02:26:23 PM »

i would actually advise against using boning unless you want to go to home depot and get super thick stuff used for ren faire stuff.  everything i have with standard boning puffs out in odd places.  in fact, on the left side of the shirt in the photo she's puckering funky.

in my experience making the thing quite tight - maybe even cut on the bias for more stretch - helps a lot more.

this pattern might work for you.  do you know how to size up if necessary?  i do that all the time.  oh, and be sure to fit it on you before doing the finishing detials because...whooo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...