A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mini iron... worth it?  (Read 647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shanaelle
« on: August 20, 2007 09:29:52 PM »

The long and short of it is that I have a very limited space to sew, being that I have to keep all of my crafty things in my bedroom. And since my room has been a mess since I made my prom dress at the end of last year... I haven't sewed in almost three months. As any sewer (no matter how new) knows, you can save a lot of time and frustration with a handy dandy iron.

But.. I don't want one of those big, heavy duty irons, like the one my mother uses for the laundry. At least, not for little things - wallets, bags, minor alterations, etc. So I thought, why not get a mini iron? The ones I see on the web look mildly useful but I want to see if any of my fellow Craftsters own or have used either of these before I get one.

I'm considering this one, from JoAnn's and this sharptek one. (I've also heard about the Clover Iron, is that any good?) I'm slightly worried about the limited surface space I have with my sewing area, the fact that I have one cat who just will not keep her nose out of things, and that I'm a complete klutz - does anyone have any advice for me?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007 02:35:50 PM by shanaelle - Reason: tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007 11:12:57 PM »

Why not get an iron from a store, try it out, and return it if you don't like? I think travel irons look SUPER cute, and they are small, so you should think about those, too, not just the craft ones. (And if you travel on the cheap like me, you also won't have to worry whether the place you stay has an iron!) But, I don't have any experience with mini irons myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inigo Vane

my hands are my heart

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007 11:16:58 PM »

I've been considering getting one too. Someone please give advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DRivero

I'm just your basic world-class Samantha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007 06:57:58 AM »

Okay, I'll give advice, but I don't think it's what you want to hear.  I bought one of these from JoAnn Fabrics; the iron looks exactly the same as the ones you have links to, though I can't remember the brand name.  It didn't get hot enough to do anything!  I let it heat up FOREVER, and I could still put my hand flat on the plate.  I took it back.

Maybe the SharpTek one would be better?  My advice is not to bother.  For me, I'll stick with my good ol' dino-iron!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye; then hey, free eyeball!
Anti-Social Butterfly

It's warmer in hell, so down we go.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007 03:23:56 PM »

I have a mini-iron and LOVE it. I'd definitely suggest picking one up - I found mine (steam and dry heat settings) for $1.99 at Value Village and it's like brand new. There's really no need to buy a fancy or expensive one. It's perfect for crafting and doesn't take up a ton of space I could be using for more crafting supplies! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

View my Etsy shop at http://www.antisocialbutterfly.etsy.com  :]
mub
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007 04:38:51 AM »

Hands down, the little Rowenta travel iron is the best "small" iron I've used.  It's more expensive than the ones you linked to, but it's small, the handle folds down for storage, it's -really- lightweight, and it gets HOT enough to actually do something!  It's also a steam iron, which is faaaabulous.  I gave one to my mom as a gift and wished I'd kept it for myself Wink  I honestly wouldn't bother spending the money on another iron.  This one is -well- worth the price. 

Here's a link to it on amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-DA-35-Latitude-Compact-Voltage/dp/B00005KJX2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'mubeimmik.livejournal.com')

http://monkeycat.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miami Swim Make Up Tips 2015
Sophy Robson’s Nail Art Tutorial on Galaxy Nails
How to Get Beyoncé’s Luminous Glow
Our Friend Courtney Bingham Sixx Knows A Lot About Self Tanning
Is Professional Teeth Whitening Worth It?
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...