A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Side pockets on Kategirl's style messenger bag/Jordy bag  (Read 11464 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 20, 2007 05:35:50 PM »

After making this messenger bag (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187051.0) using Kategirl's fabulous tutorial (found here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182493.0) there were requests for how I made the side pockets.  I am currently making a messenger bag for my son's teacher for her laptop.  Here is a tutorial on the side pockets:

Cut the pockets to the size you want.  I made mine 7.5" square.  I calculated this measurement by adding the width of the bottom of the bag (ie. 3") plus 1" each for the folded box pleats (ie. there will be 2 pleats each of 2 folds totalling 4 folds x 1" = 4") plus 1/4" seam allowance either side totalling 1/2".  Therefore 3" + 4" + 1/2" = 7.5".  I was happy with the height of 7" (plus 1/4" seam allowance each for top and bottom totalling 1/2").  Cut two pieces - one of lining and one of outer fabrics.

Place these right sides together and sew across the top:

Open out and press the seam:

Place the pieces back together (right sides together) and sew down one side, catching elastic in the seam at the top of the side.  Pull elastic taught then repeat for the other side:

Turn this piece right side out and press side seams.  Pull the elastic taught and sew across the top (about 1/2" from the top) creating a channel for the elastic.

Now with the bottom of the pocket, make two even pleats either end and press

With the outer front section of your bag, using chalk or a washable marker, draw a line from the bottom up parallel with the side seam (as shown in the picture).  Repeat for the other side and also repeat on the outer back section of your bag too:

Sew the side seams of your bag together:

Sew the pockets to the bag up the edge of the pockets with the line marked on your bag:

This is what you should have now:

Sew the bottom section of your bag (if you have one).  If you are using Kategirl's tutorial, you won't have this bottom seam.

Remember the pleats you pressed earlier?  Now is the time to reposition those and pin.  Turn the bag right sides together and sew across the bottom corner (NOT with pins in of course):

This is your completed side pocket.  I know that the elastic looks really bulky at the top of the pocket but that is due to the fabric being heavy denim.  If you have cotton, your elasticised pocket won't look as bulky.

I will post a picture of the completed bag - I really like how this one is coming together.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007 07:38:35 PM »

awesomie awesomness! bookmarked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
LoCoMoMof2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007 06:48:13 AM »

Thank you so much for this tutorial.  I am such a visual person and now seeing this tut I get it!! Grin Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hadassah
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007 08:07:55 AM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betty bat
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007 06:47:57 PM »

Very timely!

I'm going to make a bag for my husband, who is very active in prairie restoration.  He wants a bag with side pockets to hold his spray bottles of herbicides, so he can whip them out and kill the bad weeds in the prairie.  This pattern is just right.

You better watch out, all you bad prairie invader weeds.  Herbicide is on the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007 02:16:57 PM »

Amazing, as usual!  Thanks for taking the time to do this tut!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007 06:13:50 PM »

This tutorial is great and perfectly timed!  I have a question though:  Why do you press the two pieces open before you sew up the sides to catch the elastic? What would happened if you didn't press it open first?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007 09:58:16 PM »

This tutorial is great and perfectly timed!  I have a question though:  Why do you press the two pieces open before you sew up the sides to catch the elastic? What would happened if you didn't press it open first?

Good question... because it seems strange to do that.

The reason I did that is so it's easier to press the seam before the elastic gets put in.  If you don't press your seams - no need to worry about this but it makes the finished edge look neater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007 06:03:25 AM »

The reason I did that is so it's easier to press the seam before the elastic gets put in.  If you don't press your seams - no need to worry about this but it makes the finished edge look neater.
That makes sense.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shoot Better Video with Your Smartphone
Light Painting with Robot Vacuum Cleaners
Exporting Images for Time Lapse Video
How to Clean Your DSLR Lens
Best Way to Photograph An Infant
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...