A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple yet magical vests and a mini sweater (so many images!)  (Read 7539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissNoemi
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007 03:53:50 PM »

I'm in love with your mini sweater--it looks so wonderful! I'd say it was an excellent experiment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007 04:51:59 PM »

Thank you all so much!
I really can't say enough good things about this book. I feel like Harry Potter with his Advanced Potions book. I keep just flipping through it and trying to think up sweaters.
It is definitely worth buying if you're interested in making up your own designs and don't care for sewing seams.
It can be sort of confusing though, I had to do a bit of experimenting with swatches and at first I started a doll size version just to see what in heck she was on about. I couldn't visualize the instructions at all. So, if you're like me, just start knitting and do what she says. It works!
Honeydew, I agree with you about raglan sweaters; they're awesome, but can be limiting.
Right now I'm trying to work out how to do pattern stitches with short rows. I was able to do it with the seed stitch all right, but I want to see if it can be done in fancy multi-row lace patterns.
Would anyone be interested in a Barbara Walker knitalong? I'd be so happy for some company and other knitter's input, and maybe I could help some of y'all as well.
I know there's a Zimmermann-a-long, but she has actual patterns whereas Knitting From the Top just has guidelines. I did take some notes on the ones I've already made, though.
Thanks again for all the nice comments!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknitter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007 01:42:38 AM »

It can be sort of confusing though, I had to do a bit of experimenting with swatches and at first I started a doll size version just to see what in heck she was on about. I couldn't visualize the instructions at all.
I just want to agree with everyone else about your projects, they came out really nicely. I also want to agree with you about her instructions. Completely impossible to visualize, but inspired by your post, I finally decided to take the time to ask Crafster about my questions about her set-in sleeve seamless sweater instructions. I am specifically interested in the instructions for set-in sleeve instructions that have a similar shaping to raglans - i.e. you get a set in sleeve but don't have to pick up and knit. Here is the link to the thread about my question:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191780.0

I did not want to post it here and distract from your amazing work so I started a new thread.

Would anyone be interested in a Barbara Walker knitalong?
Yes! Sign me up! I would love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyFox
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007 10:41:18 AM »

Those are great!  I love it when people experiment with their knits Cheesy  Especially when they turn out as well as yours.  The mini sweater is especially gorgeous!

That Barbara Walker book sounds great, I am all about making stuff up, especially without seams!!!  I've also been meaning to get one or two of her Treasury books, as I have a couple of stitch pattern books and find myself looking through them all the time for ideas.

[Would anyone be interested in a Barbara Walker knitalong?

me!  me! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a knit by the seat of her pants kinda gal.
 Crafty Fox
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007 04:57:31 AM »

I've been meaning to ask about her Treasury books. Do they have actual patterns to make items in them, or are they confusing also?
I'm sorry to post this here. But I've heard so much about her Treasury books and, I'm very curious to know if they're worth buying.
Or are they more for learning new stitch patterns? Or a combination of both?
If they're confusing books (her Treasury books), I'm afraid I'd be completely lost.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007 06:26:44 AM »

I've been meaning to ask about her Treasury books. Do they have actual patterns to make items in them, or are they confusing also?
I'm sorry to post this here. But I've heard so much about her Treasury books and, I'm very curious to know if they're worth buying. Or are they more for learning new stitch patterns? Or a combination of both? If they're confusing books (her Treasury books), I'm afraid I'd be completely lost.  Undecided

They're just stitch patterns with black&white samples of each. The first 2 has 600 or so patterns in each, I'm not sure about the 3rd and 4th.  She has some info about converting the patterns to in-the-round knitting (the stitch patterns are written for flat knitting) and some other really general info - each treasury has different info I think, but it's the kind of info that you can probably find in any decent reference book.

If you absolutely, positively, must have stitch patterns in a chart form, you'll probably hate the first 2 treasuries since nothing's charted. OTOH, these 2 have a really amazing selection of stitches and imho they're worth at least looking at. You can always work out the chart yourself. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I like working out the chart myself - it helps me learn the pattern before I start knitting. (and besides, if you want to do in the round, you probably have to work it out yourself no matter whose stitch treasury you have)

On a lot of the the patterns, she writes a little about what the pattern could be used for, or a variation to try, or when the wrong-side looks good enough to used as the right-side. Or something like "good for a beginning knitter who wants something simple but not boring to knit"

I haven't looked at the 3rd and 4th treasuries much, so I don't know what kind of stitch patterns they've got, but I think they've got more charts than the first 2.

Are they worth buying? Yes, I think so. But if you don't like hers, then get someone else's (I can't suggest any, cuz I only have her first 2 treasuries and I haven't seen any others I like enough to get in addition.) A stitch treasury (or 2 or 3 or ...) from somebody is a must if you want to create your own pattern, or just change somebody else's pattern a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007 06:46:44 AM »

Would anyone be interested in a Barbara Walker knitalong? I'd be so happy for some company and other knitter's input, and maybe I could help some of y'all as well.

Your sweaters came out great! I'm up for a KAL, I'm working on a sweater using her Peasant Square Shoulder (it's near the end of the book)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive415

Moderation in all things, including moderation

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007 05:57:07 AM »

Great pieces! I especially like the pinkish-colored mini sweater
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007 07:14:38 AM »

Y'all, I just made a thread for a knit-a-long!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193057.0

I really hope to see you there!
ThreadOrYarn, I can't wait to see pics of your peasant square shoulder sweater! Especially progress pics if you have any.
I'm trying to decide how I want to do my next sweater which will be full sized and long sleeved, but that's all I've got on it right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queen_gueneviere
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007 07:26:08 AM »

Thanks ThreadOrYarn, for your helpful suggestions. Personally, I prefer that I don't have to read a chart. I like it already written out for me. But that's just because I've only been knitting for just over 5 months, not very long.
So I guess that her first 2 Treasury books, would be right up my alley.
I wish that our local library had books in english. Then, I'd take them out first and flip through them.
I really appreciate the help. Thanks again and, Happy Knitting!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Bangs
How to Plait Hair
How to Scrunch Straight Hair
How to Twist Short Hair
How to Prom Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...