A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 303,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple yet magical vests and a mini sweater (so many images!)  (Read 8563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2007 11:30:27 AM »

I got the book Knitting From The Top by Barbara G. Walker last summer and worked up enough nerve to try something from it just last month.
Here is a month of knitting for y'all. These are all made with Simply Soft, due to the experimental nature of them and also me going through a moment of poordom.

This book is brilliant, but I have to admit I thought Barbara Walker was batshit crazy when I first read her instructions. Then, when I just did what she said it all worked out! I'm in love with this method of knitting. The magic of these vests is that they are made from the top down with no seaming.
This one is really simple, made with exactly one skein.
I wasn't sure while I was knitting if I wanted a round neck or a V neck, so I didn't really commit to either and ended up with a U neck of sorts. The only finishing I did was two rounds of single crochet around the neck and armholes.
I actually love this mini vest and have worn it a few times despite the Texas heat.

Next I got a little braver and tried a keyhole neckline.
It took just a little bit more than one skein. I'm not in love with this one, mainly because it's not a color I usually wear, and the keyhole is a little racy for me, but it fits really well. I tried it on several times while knitting it. I wore it to work and a fellow crafter mentioned how well it fit and since I'm paranoid I thought she might have been secretly calling me a ho. It fits, yo.

The only finishing I had to do on this one was one round of single crochet around the neck opening. I love the seed stitch but it was something like 8 rows to the inch so I had to switch to k1p1 to avoid boredom insanity and just get the thing done.

Finally, and I do thank you for reading all this because I'm so proud of all this knitting after a very depressed and uncreative year so far,
I present my mini sweater, which was inspired by a pattern I saw in a Blue Sky Alpaca yarn ad.  This is made using the same guidelines as the vests, you just extend the cast on row and do more short rows.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, as these were really just meant to be experiments but I ended up with 3 wearable garments that cost about $15. I'm definitely not done exploring the possibilities of the top-down vest. I feel brave enough now to use some nicer yarn I have in my stash and try set-in sleeves. In the book there are two methods, one where you make the vest then pick up stitches and use short row shaping, the other where you make the sleeves as you go, sort of like the yoke of a raglan. I'd love some company if anyone else feels like knitting along!

I started a thread for a knit-a-long, so please join!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 07:16:26 AM by aliciasjoy - Reason: to start a knitalong! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007 11:34:41 AM »

great stuff! im so into sweater vests right now--i love the first one!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007 12:02:52 PM »

They're all great but I love your mini sweater - it looks so great and I love the colour too.

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007 01:08:25 PM »

I sure wish I'd known about the vest "pattern" before I attempted making one up myself!  They all look great!

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007 01:37:26 PM »

Those look great!  I checked that book out at the library but never got a chance to look at it well before I had to take it back.  Maybe I need to check it out again!

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007 01:56:21 PM »

Turned out to be a really successful experiment! I love them all Smiley

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007 01:56:57 PM »

Thanks you guys!
Patti, I had to read it so many times before I felt brave enough to attempt it, but once I understood what was going on it was fairly straight forward. I can't recommend the book enough.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 02:56:28 PM »

I think they all look fabulous, and the fit really is spectacular! Really well done - I'm going to have to check out this book!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 03:08:40 PM »

Those are really pretty! Good job! I especially like the keyhole-neck sweater!

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007 04:41:52 PM »

Wow, those all look great! The fit is amazing! I want to try! Cheesy

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Fill In Eyebrows
VS Angel Lily Aldridge Reveals Her Beauty and Fitness Secrets
Drag Queen Makeup Tutorial
FIRST LOOK: Julien Macdonald - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week
Kim Kardashian Reveals Her Entire Beauty Routine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...