A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stupid Martha Stewart!  (Read 31422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissKitty
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005 10:45:52 AM »

She will make a TON of $$ for the movie rights to her prison story. Don't you know it.

This is something I'm imagining, have not heard anything, but really, that has great potential.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophiesmom
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2005 05:08:28 PM »

A couple of Christmases ago, I made the tiny gumdrop people that were on the cover of Martha Stewart Kids.  They looked so adorable on the cover.

Well, in my small town it was next to impossible to find the proper gumdrop accessories (I really needed to be in a specialty candy shop).  I ended up improvising and they didn't look nearly as impressive as her creations.  Her fabulous food photographer also makes things look good.

I do like what Martha has done for the domestic arts ~ don't really mind Martha. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hermione
I require a popsicle every fifteen minutes; you obviously did not read the memo.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2005 05:41:39 PM »

It's funny how we seem to have this love-hate relationship with Martha. I love the look of most of her crafty stuff, though I'd never try most of her recipies because I like my food simple (open can, pour into bowl, shove into microwave). She's pretty famous in my area because of an incident at her local mansion in which she chased off a journalist with some pretty strong language. I heard there was assault involved too.

I laugh when I see her on her show making alcoholic mixed drinks. Maybe if she drank a bit more she'd relax enough to let the stick fall out of her - well, you know what I mean.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
dansk
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2005 05:47:43 PM »

I like Martha and her magazine, but I sympathize with Sophiesmom's gumdrop people experience. A few years ago I was really excited to make this wreath I saw in a December issue. Basically it was a styrofoam wreath covered with red glass beads, hung by a thick satin ribbon. It was so beautiful.

I went to the craft store bought everything to make it except the beads. I couldn't find them ANYWHERE! Then I noticed that there was a note in the back of the magazine about where you could SPECIAL ORDER them, and the quantity that you had to buy was ridiculously large (they were also expensive!).

Also, my husband is a macaroni and cheese freak so I decided to use a MS recipe I saw in her mag. Well it takes a full hour of work (after prep) before you even put it in the oven! Not to mention it uses about every pot pan and measuring container I have, what a mess! But, it is the best M&C that I have ever tasted! Everyone I make it for goes crazy for it. Of course they would because its made with really good cheeses and people are so used to M&C out of a box! I get a lot of requests for it like "Oh, you can bring your macaroni and cheese to our party!". Oh sure, I'll just whip up a batch real quick! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeatherShaw
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2005 09:24:56 AM »

omg. My husband and I had a little marital spat and so he decides to surprise me and get the ingredients for Martha's coconut Margaritas. Then he proudly comes home, like 150 bucks later, with all this liquor and some coconut which I'm supposed to 'toast'  (talk about fire hazards!) And then the darn stuff won't stick on the glasses and looks nothing like the pictures so we're all cranky trying to figure that out.

So we finally get these mixed up but they didn't taste strong at all so my husb doubles the recipe to try to make them taste decent and the two of us kept drinking them saying I can't taste anything can you?

Here's the embarassing part. A few hours later he grabbed the toilet and i grabbed the sink and we were simultaneously hurling coconut and all that expensive hard liquor down the drain while my husband yelled, in between bouts, I'm never watching her show again!  (okay so some of this is our fault for having no taste buds)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotcandy
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005 10:37:31 AM »

One hundred and fifty dollars on margaritas???!!!
That's madness, what the heck was in them, liquid silver?
I'm guessing a little rum, some
coconut milk, sugar, fresh coconut and a slice of lime. That should be $20 max!

Mmm...coconut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2005 10:39:59 AM »

I was never a big fan of Martha. I did however, watch her show in the hopes of seeing one of her cutey male assistants- like the one that built the wooden planter and the one that built kids toybox. I am a sucker for a man w/ a tool belt.

I have to admit that sometimes I imagined she had a secret sweatshop full of crafters where she lorded above them cracking a whip cackling like a maniac.... the very same cackling as she imagined the average joe trying to follow her directions hastily written by abused and underpaid underlings. Then again I have a very active imagination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
jennybean
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005 11:07:43 AM »

hmmm ... maybe i can tolerate her because i don't watch the show. i have only read the books really, besides one or two things on tv here and there.

ps. at least the margarita debacle made a good story!  Wink
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005 11:10:15 AM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiJean
JOCOLE: extra-long modest shirts! personalized tyvek creations (including iPod cases) and unique compact pocket mirrors. sterling silver jewelry.

Modest clothing, tyvek wallets, recipe boxes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005 11:56:50 AM »

It's funny how we seem to have this love-hate relationship with Martha. I love the look of most of her crafty stuff, though I'd never try most of her recipies because I like my food simple (open can, pour into bowl, shove into microwave). She's pretty famous in my area because of an incident at her local mansion in which she chased off a journalist with some pretty strong language. I heard there was assault involved too.

I laugh when I see her on her show making alcoholic mixed drinks. Maybe if she drank a bit more she'd relax enough to let the stick fall out of her - well, you know what I mean.  Grin

LOL -- poor martha.

about the drinking though, i laugh because everytime she makes something with alcohol she always adds a little more than the recipe calls for, and takes a drink.  crazy alcoholic. 

i personally love when SNL does her in their sketches, and she's a crazy controlling drunk.  that is how i personally imagine her to truely be behind the facade.  the christmas sketch was fabulous, she ended up being topless and drinking and singing.  hilarious!!!

i also must add, i bought one of her cooking books (at the thrift store) but i have never made anything, none of it looks appitizing enough to take the time to make it.

thats just my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jocole.net
http://jocole.etsy.com

JOCOLE:  Extra-long modest shirts!
Personalized tyvek wallet and zipper pouches, custom recipe boxes.

http://jodijean.blogspot.com
http://jocole.blogspot.com
SouleMama
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005 12:06:23 PM »

I can't believe I just saw this thread---Ive been cursing that woman ALL day!! I've been trying to make the stupid felt slippers in her holiday issue. Of course, it looks SO easy in the magazine...but damnit, it sucked!! GRR....... the same freakin thing happens almost *every* time I try one of her recipes.

I definitely have a love / hate relationship with her, too.  She has a home here too (in Maine), and has a terrible reputation for how she treats people. I still have respect (okay, maybe that's not the right word) for what she's done, where she's come from, and how agressive of a business woman she's been.  It's just too bad she couldn't do it a little more "nicely" ! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: The Blonds Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Beauty Tips for a Camera Ready Look
Best Ways to Get Rid of Acne at Home
New Beauty Trend: Micellar Water Magically Cleans Your Face
How to Pick the Prettiest Hair Color Without Any Fuss
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...