A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
796 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stupid Martha Stewart!  (Read 28242 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissKitty
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2004 05:06:23 PM »

Grin hi everyone! I finally had to register here for this one. The only thing I've tried of Martha's (several times) was her "really simple" homemade marshmallows. Never did get it right.  Huh  {I aint no slouch either!!!}

Anyhow, I just heard on the news that Martha's group in prison did not win "best decorated door" for the holidays.  Cry

The last post made me laugh my derrier off, wish I had seen it. She is the ultimate control freak, and it's the height (or depth) in anal retentivity to measure your dough with a ruler! But I cannot imagine the massive ego it would take to do that to the guy. Even I am slightly shocked that Martha would do that! She really needs to lighten up and have fun. Martha? If you're reading this, it's more fun not to use a ruler, and it even looks really cool when your dough strips are not all uniform. And it's quicker! I do like ya though, dunno why, but I do.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004 08:32:45 PM by MissKitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PhishyWishy
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004 06:47:15 PM »

She got me too! This Thanksgiving I was going to make her biscuits and they called for White Lily Flour. Well, after asking five different people in the grocery store what the hell white lily flour is, I gave up. Instead I used a recipe from the side of a flour bag. Really, dont publish recipes that call for impossible to find ingredients! I do remember in the store actually saying "Damn you, Martha Stewart!". The ladies in the flour aisle looked at me funny Smiley

~Jess~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004 03:30:06 AM »

She got me too! This Thanksgiving I was going to make her biscuits and they called for White Lily Flour. Well, after asking five different people in the grocery store what the hell white lily flour is, I gave up. Instead I used a recipe from the side of a flour bag. Really, dont publish recipes that call for impossible to find ingredients! I do remember in the store actually saying "Damn you, Martha Stewart!". The ladies in the flour aisle looked at me funny Smiley

~Jess~
lol

My husband has his own reasons to hate Martha. He's a manager at a supermarket in the town she lives in .... one of the towns anyway. All the super-rich Marthawannabees come in and look for her impossible to find ingredients and get really nasty when they can't get them. The worst was when she de-boned a turkey, those women tortured the butchers demanding that they remove the bones for them on the day before Thanksgiving. All the employees end up muttering damn Martha Stewart at some point.
On the bright side, my husband says that her 'people' that shop for her are really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004 06:45:24 AM »

I usually get the Christmas issue of MSL for ideas and inspiration, but I've never really made crafts from the magazine because the instructions are always confusing.  They leave out too many steps or something or else they end up being not really all that clever.  For example, several years ago, there was a lovely wreath that had velvet acorns, and I thought that was neat and wanted to see how they did it, but the instructions were something like "get some acorns and cover them in velvet..."  Well, DUH.

What makes it even more frustrating to me is that the people who come up with those crafts are basically crafty types like us -- I used to work with a woman whose daughter worked for the magazine, and they would just occasionally come to them and ask them to come up with a craft for a particular theme.  So you'd think they could come up with better stuff and better instructions.

Now that I think of it, I did make a craft from MSL mag for the Halloween swap, but I didn't make it exactly, I just saw the idea while I was in line at the grocery store and then went home and figured it out my way.

I do still like some of the ideas.  My husband bought me a subscription to the magazine because his nephew was doing a school fundraiser selling magazines.  I don't think I'd bother to subscribe to it usually, though.

I subscribed to the Everyday Food magazine for a year, but found that I didn't really make anything out of it except once or twice, and those weren't very good.  I did get a really wonderful recipe from an advertisement in one issue, though  Wink  I guess I'll stick with Cooking Light, although I haven't made as much out of that in the past year or two, either.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005 01:28:12 PM »

i don't care if i get bludgeoned or not! FREAK ALL OF U! martha stewart is one of the best things that has happened to me! she roxs my soxs!!!!
Did anyone see the made for tv movie about Martha Stewart starring Cybil Shepard? There is one scene where Martha Stewart (portrayed by Cbill Shepard) is doing a public cooking demonstration and one woman in the audiance says (very politely) that she had tried the recipe and it didn't turn out right. Martha Stewart then flies into a rage and accuses the woman of not being able to cook and berates her.

that lady probably didn't know how to cook. all of martha's stuff is wonderful! and her recepies are great! aaaargh! stop hating on her! MARTHA I LOVE YOU!!!! WHOOO!!!! FREE MARTHA! AND SHE IS A THIEF, SHE STOLE MY HEART! HAHA!

<3,
KAREN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005 06:23:16 AM »

Okay, rickfella, calm down.... find your center..... take those pills that were prescribed, okay? They'll help you.

I haven't made this yet, it's from a way past MS Kids issue. Felting. I bought some pretty roving and a washboard and I was going to do it with my group of kids in the afternoon. Should I try it myself first? Now I am a little afraid.

I am pretty neutral. I give her credit for her hard work. But she did screw a lot of people over. But also, too, if you were working in a store and there was going to be a great sale on that hot little dress you friend came into buy the day before the sale, would you tell her to come back tomorrow? I'm not saying it's right, what she did, but that's the closest analogy I can come up with. Then again, she is controlling and anal..... I can't decide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
pippacloud
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005 06:55:39 AM »

OK. true that there is so much to laugh at and since I don't have cable I've only ever had to see her say "it's a good thing" on KMart commercials, but I do love the magazine for it's pleasurable aesthetic and her wedding mag ideas, while painfully labor intensive, are beautiful inspirations. the woman has got great taste, i don't think it can be denied. The easiest MS thing I ever made was these paper bag stars. You take 6 lunch sized paperbags, cut the ends into a pointy petal shape and cut the bottoms off the bags. punch a hole through the  bottom center of each bag then double stick tape the bags together and run a piece of twine through the holes and make a knot tying the bags together leaving  a long piece of twine remaining. then you pull. . . ok, god these are bad instructions and now that I think of it the instructions she gave left a lot out, but if anyone actually wants to know how to make these things which ARE pretty cool I can to a pic tut.
damn her and her pretty impossible things and her pretty impossible flea market "finds"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time flies like an arrow. fruit flies like a banana. -groucho marx
urbankitty

maybe this world is another planet's hell

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005 07:00:23 AM »

I haven't tried to make too many things from her mags, but this past thanksgiving I decided to make her "hot" crab dip for Thanksgiving Dinner.  It was easy to follow and very yummy.  The only complaint I have is that if that is her idea of spicy she needs to eat some kimchi or even better authentic thai food. 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper (oh so NOT hot to begin with) does not a "hot dip" make.  I ended up just dumping a ton in and taste testing until it had some kick.  YUM!  Once I got it spicy it was VERY yummy, I just had to adjust for our seriously differing ideas of spice levels.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ROBIN
jennybean
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005 08:05:12 AM »

it seems to me that martha stewart's style (deceptively simple, sorta retro-ey, clever modern twists on classic techniques) has truly absorbed into the world of crafting, and has been embraced by lots of people, whether they worship or hate her. for that, i give her credit.

i guess her empire is just part of the whole d.i.y movement, but at the very least martha was squarely on the leading edge of that. sure, she had people churning out ideas, but she was the driving force and the creative director behind her show and magazine and books. in fact, i actually identify with the little crafty minions, because i too am low on the workplace ladder.

and i like the way she doesn't shrink away from difficult techniques. in some cases they lead to complicated and not-worth-it efforts, but overall i think it's cool that her media encourages people to learn domestic arts.

it hasn't been expressed here, but the thing that baffles me is when i hear people say how they just hate the woman and everything she stands for, and i have to wonder why they care so much, and where they find the energy. i suppose it's because martha bucked convention and built an empire out of the stuff that is supposed to be demeaning and oppressive and anti-feminist. plus she's a ruthless bitch, by all accounts.

but honestly, i just steal her ideas and make my own crafty stuff and do it better. and i don't buy the magazine, just read it on the grocery store line, because it's been widely expressed on craftster that her instructions bite. revenge! but looking at the ideas does make me think, because they are so simple, but so smart and original.

by the way, did you know that her christmas cards were addressed from her w.va. prison! love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005 09:19:19 AM »

I think what we hate, or at least what I hate about her is the know-it-all/better-than-thou attitude that is behind her phony demure demeaner.  The first time I saw her show, I was canning tomatos, and her show was about canning tomatos.  She used a metal spatula to release the air bubbles.  Every book I have ever seen says DO NOT USE METAL. It may scratch the jar and cause breakage.
I do have to admit though, she does have good taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Enhanced Book on Historic Moments in the Civil Rights Movement
Taylor Branch on the Importance of Civil Rights
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Taylor Branch on College Students and Sit in Movement
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...