A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,193
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitches breeding like rabbits  (Read 1383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea
« on: October 16, 2005 12:30:13 PM »

I recently started my first knitting project.  I was working on a cute baby hat for my future-yet-to-be-conceived-even child, or my future nephew/niece (about 5 mos away) if I wasn't pg yet after finishing (yes I give myself five MONTHS to finish a baby hat, pathetic I know).  It's the Target yarn, blue and yellow boucle, so pretty and bumpy.  Blends together and kind of looks green.

Anyway.  I ran into a problem w/ criss-crossed stitches, found out what I was doing wrong and fixed it.  Someone suggested I count how many stitches to make sure I wasn't accidentally getting more.   The hat starts out as 56 stitches cast on.  This is a few days later, I've got maybe three inches of hat done, so many rows!  I count the stitches on the neede........and stop at 65. 

WTF?  I give up, rip it all out because it's WAY too big and it goes all the way back to the first few rows. 

Given up on the baby hat for now, I start other yarns I've been wanting to work with.  I watch closely what I'm doing and notice that as I'm casting on my third stitch I actually have four on the needle.  What the heck?!  lol. 

I guess somehow I was going too fast, not pulling the stitches tight and ended up with it wrapped around and, well, just not right.  So I'm going slow and making a scarf.  I'll have to buy more needles so I can tackle that stinkin baby hat again  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Punker Chic
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005 06:38:02 PM »

oooooooo not good Shocked
I pity you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelly_jane
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005 09:13:44 PM »

My stitches always used to grow when I was younger and I found out it was from turning my work- that I had wrapped it around the needle again and then knitted it in the next row. If you really concentrate for a while on what you are doing for a while and count your stitches every row you'll start to see what you are doing wrong and will be able to correct it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maytina
knitting is hot

just keep knitting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 06:37:59 AM »

I did this when I started knitting too. Turns out I was picking up stitches from the previous row and knitting them into the row I was working on! Once I noticed what I was doing, I was able to stop myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsciencechick
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 09:28:38 AM »

ack!  I did this all the time when I first started knitting.  The most common culprit is the first stitch you knit of the row.  Sometimes, the last stitch of the previous row slips backwards, and looks like two instead of one.  If you knit both of them, you've just increased by one...every time you start a new row.

nothing to do but rip it out (or "frog" it, as a friend of mine says) and start over!  Just watch whenever you start a new row!

Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsciencechick.com

Science, knitting, ranting, and sex.  Not always in that order, and often all at once.

Look for me on ravelry!  Hey, that rhymed!
Chelsea
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005 11:19:30 AM »

I actually figured this out when I was working on my new project, it's a scarf and I'm using furry yarn.  I noticed that after I turn it and pull on the strand of yarn, that the first stitch will right itself.  I'm sure that's what I was doing.   I still do it occasionally when I go fast, but it's not noticable.  i count my stitches every few rows and fix it when I run into an extra.   It's a really furry scarf, so the extra stitch or two doesn't show as much as it would if it was regular yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maytina
knitting is hot

just keep knitting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005 08:48:04 PM »

I just finished a baby blanket made with this eyelash stuff and it was so hard to see what I was doing I was messing up all over the place, but the yarn was really forgiving because it was so fuzzy!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005 09:56:47 AM »

I'm using size 15 needles, and the actual yarn is so skinny it's pretty easy to see what I'm doing.  It makes the stitches so loose and you can kind of stretch the current stitch out to see what you're doing, then even it all up at the end of the row.  Well, at least I think it's getting evened up...I know my stitches aren't very even. Thank god it's so furry you can't tell. Smiley  You can kind of see when you hold it up against light. 

I was using that really soft purple fuzzy stuff from Targets $1 thing on smaller needles and I had to give up.  The strands on the yarn I'm using now are longer and a little more sparse and not so fuzzy.    The Target stuff is so soft that you can barely tell you're touching it.   I would LOVE a scarf made out of it though. So soft. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005 11:23:25 AM »

were you knitting flat or on dpns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Test Lab: Will This Peel-Off Mask Perfect Your Skin?
Get a Fresh Face in 5 Minutes Flat
How to Fix a Makeup Mistake Without Ruining All Your Hard Work
Get a Perfect Cat-Eye Every Single Time
The Perfect Shadow for Your Eye Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...