A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
300 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curvy Girls Dress  (Read 31324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2007 07:17:45 PM »

Hi guys,
I need your help. I am seriously thinking of designing a fashionable line for curvy girls. I want to start with dresses so I would like your input. What do you like/not like about the choices you have now? What can I do to make your life more comfortable without sacrificing fashion? What preferences do you have in colors, solids, prints, length, straight or flared, etc. Let me have it! I plan to draft the pattern and make the dresses myself.
Thanks so much for your invaluable input.
max 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supergirle
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007 07:36:16 PM »

Ok well here goes I hope I can get my ideas across clearly....I like dresses that are not long long long like to the ankle I like them sort of midlength I guess?  I love Polka Dots!  I like the shirt dresses and anything that has a vintagey or rockabilly feel to it I really find that those sorts of designs lend themselves nicely to plus sizes!  I like flared alines too!  I like Leopard prints and darker colors I dont usually like flowers!  I am a size 16...barely but I used to be a 20 so I am proud!  Good Luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007 07:57:53 PM »

make ones that are sized to hold plus-sized boobs! plus sized clothes often have no more boob room than regular sized clothes. also, make sure to stay away from things that are too drapey or beaded, as they make us look like our grandmas...

fitted, revealing but not too revealing, with small-to-medium prints, are our best friends.

if you can incorporate shapewear in some way, that is great also.

oh, and make sure that, at the very least, a standard strapless bra will be covered. this means structured upper-back areas, so that the fabric isn't constantly falling down and exposing the ugly beige undergarments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007 08:20:15 PM »

Nice fabric. No cheapy, sleazy, shiney, chinzy, or other 7 ugly fabric troll goods.

& surplice wraps rock
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 09:06:05 PM »

something else that might help (quoted from [urlhttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49234.200]this[/url] thread):

The problem with being a big girl and clothes, gee, let's just get down and make a list of the problems I have with the manufacturers.
1.  They think I want to wear crap fabric.
2.  They think I want to wear the same dress to a wedding as my Grandma.
3.  They think I want to wear everything loose.
4.  They think I love to wear stretchy drapery as clothing. 
5.  They think I'm some kind of *&%$!#ing conservative that thinks the only wearable colors are navy and black. 
6.  Or they think I'm some kind of freak show that wants to wear *%#!ing neon colors.
7.  They think I don't have a regular job with a need for a proper suit at some point. 
8.  Or they think I'm stuck in delayed adulthood where I wear cartoon clothes, overalls and Vans.
9.  They think I don't know how to swim.  Or that I hate swimming.
10.  They think I don't need to wear a regular dress.  Which I don't get, if #5 is true, then wouldn't I need a bleeping dress for mass?  A christening perhaps?  Or a wedding?  Or how about just dinner?
11.  They think I want to wear chiffon. 
12.  They think I like to have little random pieces of cheap lace attached to my tee shirts. 
13.  They think I like to wear clothes that make me look man-ish.
14.  They think I like ugly clothes. 
15.  They think I like ugly colors.
16.  They think I don't need a coat. 
17.  They think I only want skirts three inches below my knee. 
18.  They think I hate mini-skirts!
19.  They think I only want sweaters that look like they came from the men's department or some glue-gun crazed applique freak.
20.  They think I don't need pajamas.
21.  They think I don't need panties either.
22.  They think I like to wear shirts that drape over my hips making everything wider right there!
23.  They think I have no need for a sun dress.
24.  They think I hate my arms. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007 06:17:51 AM »

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to compile everything to make fashionable, comfortable clothes for curvy girls. So keep 'em coming! Oh and if you don't mind, give me some ideas of measurements too.
Thanks a bunch!
max
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafox
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007 11:45:29 AM »

Well i dont know that any plus size dress would fit me correctly, im 5'4 and very short waisted but here is my imput:
NOT ALL BIG GIRLS ARE TALL!!!!!!!!!
I have the most difficult time wearing plus size for the many reasons listed above but also cause I am a petite, so I recommend making a style that could fit the petite (like a high waisted dress) or make a couple that are specifically for petite plus women.
I too would love prints that are more youthful like polka dots and trendy colors, rather than the grandma-ish florals and neon colors.
I dont like dresses that try to define the waist, though soome would argue that that helps slenderize us, but I probably dont like that style cause the waist is always in the wrong place.
May not be what you are looking for but...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007 03:50:54 PM »

i second making them with increased bust size. even in plus sized shops,  boob areas aren't as big as i need them, which is problem with empire line things, if the lines comes up over my boobs!

i think that sticking to things that are in fashion, just in a more flattering style for the bigger woman would be good,  i love some of the prints and fabrics they have out there, but i don't see them very often in places i shop.

also, better length skirts, most of them are all ankle length in places i shop, and you can't find any funky flowy knee length ones, theyre either too short or too long, theres no in between really.

also, when modelling clothes, i hate it when plus sized store have photos of the clothes on the smallest model size that they stock. the shop i regularly buy from does this, they stock from a 16 up, and being quite a bit bigger, i can't visualise the tope on me as if it was on a real plus size model, like size 20 and up!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 03:56:15 PM by cupcakeaccessories » THIS ROCKS   Logged

megan_brianne
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007 04:29:45 PM »

I third the boob thing.  I like shirts that allow for a full coverage bra, but don't look matronly.  Another thing I've noticed is that alot of plus size clothing seems to be made of light weight, gauzy fabrics with little shape.  I need structure!! 

It's hard to find nicer quality fabrics and prints.  I want my clothes to look lilke they're from the regular size departments, just proportioned to fit a bigger girl's body.

Since you asked, I wear a 16-18 tall.  I'm short waisted, large through the bust, and carry most of my weight in my belly more so than my hips.  I'm definitely an apple, not a pear!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007 07:49:11 PM »

I'm lovin' the input! Ya'll are giving me such good ideas and I appreciate it. Thanks Hellga for the quote from sugarpie. I've been reading that link and have gotten some good info there too. Keep 'em coming!
max
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...