A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curvy Girls Dress  (Read 24852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2010 04:24:53 PM »

Skirts with pockets and belt loops.
Dress pants with belt loops.(Why are these so hard to find?)

It baffles me. Why are we not allowed to have pockets and belt loops? If I don't wear a belt, the back of most of my pants and jeans usually sticks out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2010 08:37:55 PM »

I see that I'm incredibly late to the party, but here goes:
I've teetered between regular and plus sizing for years.  I've done my best to stay out of the plus-sized catagory - not because I'm ashamed, but because that's where buying clothes gets complicated.  I'm a 16-18 tall, hour glass figure.  I wear a 34H on top, and have huge hips.  If I shop in the regular clothes, everything is tight across the chest.  If I shop in women's, everything is baggy at the waist.  Length is an issue everywhere.

Not all chunky girls are short and apple shaped!  I want pants that fit my hips, but that don't leave me with inches of extra fabric at the waist.  Now please make them long enough too.  I want a bra that is pretty and sturdy - (I might actually kill for one of these)!  I want to wear a button down shirt again before I die.

A couple of other things: I want pants that don't taper - but aren't cut wide enough to put both legs in one hole.  I want jackets that fit both in the shoulders and across the chest.  And last (but not at all least), I want a swimsuit with good support in the chest (a couple years ago I was at the beach and had a couple teenagers comment on how much cleavage was showing.  In their defense, it was pretty gross).

I love my body, but clothes often don't love me.  : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ludovi
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2010 07:25:53 PM »

This is such a fantastic thread, I feel like I should contribute too.

So, I'm only about 5'4, and most of my weight is in my belly and boobs. I fail to see this as a bad thing. A lot of stores do, and I don't like that. The shirts always ride up, or are far too long. Either way, it's not flattering.

This is more of a personal thing, but I have a strongly defined waist, and it's higher than normal- therefore, if pants are supposed to sit at your 'natural waist' I have them half way up my stomach and it looks HORRIBLE! Yet, if I get 'low waist' jeans, I'm showing off my underwear. Is it possible to find a happy median?

As for style, I'm favorable toward the 50's pinup sort of thing. Cute dresses and flattering styles that looked good on healthy women.

NATURAL FABRICS- I sweat enough already, the last thing I want is a whole bunch o synthetics making it worse!
Wide straps on tank tops-  I don't want everyone to see my bra strap. It's not classy.
Wide leg (but not crazy wide) pants.- I want to look slimmer, and pants painted onto my thighs don't help that.
Leggings and hoisery that don't roll down while you're wearing them. (And Undies, for that matter)
Garter belts with some substance!
Supporting bras that don't flatten my chest or throw them in everyone's face.
Wrap skirts.
Circle skirts (But, I have no butt, so it looks okay on me.)
Layering without looking crazy.
Bright (but not blinding) colors, Jewel tones, and flirty patterns that aren't always floral.

Can't stand:
Black, Black, and more black.
Whitewash or lighter jeans- Maybe it's just me, but I think they look horrible. No matter who on.
Spaghetti straps.
Short shorts. -I'm heavy, and the last thing I want is my shorts riding up.
Ugly underwear- Why do they think we don't want to show off our bodies?
Cap Sleeves
Elastic on the belly.
Shirts that make me look like I'm either pregnant, or an old lady.
Putting the ladies on display.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 07:28:21 PM by ludovi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MNR
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2010 12:12:12 PM »

Hmm. I have a pear shaped body. I have a butt.
What I would like to see are shirts that come down past my waist. =_=

I don't think that strapless dresses are necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't design too many. Because a lot of times big women need support up top. So they need to wear diesel brassieres. Case in point. *pointing to self* And having a lovely dress that turns out to not even have straps is very discouraging.
Big breasts don't always lend themselves well to no strap support and topless dress. The breasts can very well hang to the tummy. Which makes the breasts look like a shelf. A low hanging shelf.

I suppose Apple Bottom already went into the whole jeans that fit for big butts and slimmer waists. But I think that should be a subject to reenter. Perhaps make a line of pants, jeans, skirts, and shorts that you don't need to wear belts for. Because the bunched fabric at the sides is not that good looking.

Oh. Don't have the designers just resize a pattern made for XS normal sized women. Without considering the mechanics of the design. More mass = need for reinforcement.

I would like...  graphic tees that aren't see-through, and don't look as if they were made for a man.
Brassieres that reinforce where the breasts meet in the middle, yet still have cute prints like pinstripes, polkadots, swirls and fairy designs, punk or otherwise.  (very hard to find at an affordable price.)

If you can make plus sized formal clothes that don't look frumpy or like the person is wearing a full body suit composed of shoulder pads, you will be very popular. Big girls have dinner dates, want to look sexy for their male companion, job interviews, weddings, funerals, or just like looking all "sporty, fun, classy, sexy yet conservative".

Basically... I'd say look at the hottest new styles coming out. And then imagine them on a plus sized girl. The locations that need not obvious reinforcement are:
  • Upper arm fat and girth
  • Underarms and sideboob area
  • The WHOLE bust area (lift and separate. Say no to the uniboob. I can see your black/white/tan bra through your shirt, Etc.)
  • Belly button area (may be extra mass here that needs to be hidden or streamlined)
  • Possible backfat and rolls (No extremely tight white thin jersey)
  • Thigh diameter and shape.
  • Knee fat needs to be covered or tucked in
  • As for feet... making straps slightly longer on sandals and dress shoes, so that your feet aren't bursting out of them.

Vintage prints. Get those.
Pinup and 60s wear, as what was already stated, are both very good.

I suggest getting a panel of big girls. Hah. Like a supreme court of "this looks good and this doesn't". Change it up. Have volunteer plus sized shoppers. I swear it seems like some of these clothes I look through in the store were designed by skinny people who never have to wear that stuff, and have never asked the opinion of a large female, or has never seen a fashion conscious self loving large female.

It's so nice having someone wanting to be in the fashion industry care about our opinions... Kiss
Thank you!
I might have to visit again with suggestions from my mother, sister and aunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2010 07:38:35 PM »

Many, many good points here already but here are mine:
I am a pear, bust 44C waist24/26 and that is to accommodate my hips for the most part. So buying dresses is a nightmare! If I find a fitted dress that looks great on top, it wont fit my hips, if I find one that fits my bottom then the top is sloppy in the shoulders and the under arms gape to the point I take them in at least an inch and a half and taper it down to the waist.

Tops so long as they are empire waist fit and usually fit nicely. I only buy elbow or longer sleave tops because I have hams on the back of my arms that I prefer to cover. If the tops aren't empire I have to have side slits or wear the bottom or bottom two buttons open to give my hips room.

Pants, I have one pair of pants I absolutely love from Old Navy, they are too big now but they were low rise and fit where they needed to fit. The only thing is the waist was a bit too big, which just made it easier when having to take them down, they slid over my hips well. This however gives the gapping at the back when you sit-hello thongs! I like lower waisted pants because my waist has dropped but its also uneven, high at the back and about two inches lower in the front. I wear average length pants, these are a tad too long but petites are too short, Im 5'5". BTW who thought women who are unproportioned look good in skinny jeans? Im all ass when I wear them-hubby likes it but makes me feel uncomfortable. There again why do people think wide legs make you look slimmer? That brings back the box look that mumu's give you.

Someone mentioned the mock sets, first of all the practicallity of them is out the window. If you put a black vest with a mock oxford shirt in white under it, how long do you think the shirt will look white? Duh! Or the tanks with the cardigans sewn over, when you are larger you sweat!

My favourite stores are in the US, Im from Canada! I shop regularly at Fashion Bug, Lane Bryants, Old Navy, Debs, Torrid and Dress Barn. The two stores I shop at up here are either too expensive (Addition-Elle) for the quality and fit provided (if I have to alter the clothes Im not spending top dollar for the clothes to begin with). Penningtons has many grandma styles and their junior section only goes up to 22-24 most of the time and thats if you can get to the store on the day the order comes in and get the only 24 that came in! I agree, screen prints on anything looks like you are trying too hard to be younger-they are great for the young kids who like the vampire movies but I like young styles without pictures and flowers and do-dads hanging off them.

In the US I can find a lot of natural fabric clothing that are reasonably styled. I love cottons, I agree the poly blends can be washed or drycleaned as much as you want but the body odor never really leaves them. Torrid has some cute things but there again, they are geared to younger plus size ladies. They have the party clothes, the bar clothes etc, the same with Debs. I love their things and will buy the more reserved clothes from there. I dont want to look like Im a cougar or that Im trying to look younger than my 41 yrs. I find Lane Bryant to be expensive and will only buy stuff from there if its on sale, so that limits my choices too. As for Dressbarn, its a gamble, sometimes you can find some awesome dresses in youthful styles other times you cant find anything. Old Navy has taken their extended sizes out of their stores and are only avaiable on line now-still not available in Canada Sad I love how they have the same styles just bigger to fit more comfortable.

A big peeve I have is bras, I need a wide chest band due to the back boobs that need to be concealed. If the band is too narrow they hang over and get very very sore where the band cuts in. If I buy the ones with the boning under the arm they curve in and dig into the skin making them very uncomfortable. I wish companies would get sexy/pretty fabrics in heavier grade so they don't need to add extra mechanics to do the job.

Im sure there is more but there must be a limit to characters used in a post! lol
Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with...maybe short, average, tall in apple, pear and amazon (just kidding but what I mean in that is, big but in proportion to your size)

Thanks for caring!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2010 07:46:19 PM »

Just thought after reading the last page of posts...maybe we should send in a picture of what we consider our 'favourite' clothes. Top, pants, skirts and dresses to give you an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
follie
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2010 10:29:13 AM »

Tongue I'm going to throw a wrench into some of this, but my problem is the opposite of what a lot of you experience.

I wear a 50 B cup. Yes, a B. Which means my chestal area is sagging with a lot of clothes, except the empire waist ones. It also means I can't find bras, but that's a separate thread.

I totally second, third, forty-twoth the idea of natural fibers! Cotton dresses are the CUTEST thing and they are comfy!

Do not make them tea length. For me, that hits right at the middle of my calf, and it is not cute. I love my body, I love wearing dresses (it's why I learned to sew- more skirts and dresses!), but HATE the tea length! Feels so frumpy!

Good luck on your endeavors. Smiley If you decide to start a bra company, I would sooooo have some suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pinwheel Cherry Pie Recipe
How to Make a Cornmeal-Berry Sheet Cake
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Skewers with Caramel Syrup Drizzle
How to Make a Tequila-Soaked Pineapple on Grilled Pound Cake
Pear and Vanilla French Toast Bake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...