A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixellated Link old-skool SNES shirt...*FINISHED + now with Action Shots! pg 4*  (Read 5224 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , zelda , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007 06:21:54 AM »

Uh oh.  Better keep your boyfriend off the site all together till you give it to him.  You're on the front page!  Smiley
I know! I was like, "omg!" (in abbreviated form too, because I just woke up haha). But he shouldn't be on Craftster anyway, eep...I hope he doesn't see, but I don't want to specifically say not to go on in case he guesses just from that. On the other hand, it's always cool being on the front page  Grin

That's a good idea, Garnet Bear! Your shirts sound awesome. How did you set your acrylic paint, if at all? That's what I'm mostly worried about now.

If anyone wants I can post the original image or the grid I made? I couldn't do it in GIMP so I just added lines in Paint Tongue I put a few squares in the wrong place but I don't even think you'd notice...if anyone does try it themselves, I have to stress the importance of the grid...my design was 14x15 but I couldn't remember which side was which, so I drew the most PERFECT 15x15 grid (if only my maths teacher could see me now....)...of course it was only supposed to be 14 squares along the top and my design would have been weirdly off-centre, so I totally screwed up  Undecided I just measured new lines halfway in the boxes, but I thought I had totally ruined it and that's why my lines were so dark in places, too. At least it worked out in the end though! (I could have washed it to get the lines out but seriously...otherwi se-perfect grid Tongue)

Thanks Hotbettie, I hope my partner likes what I'm making  Smiley I won't be sending out until Friday, so I have extra-heebie-jeebies, haha.

Longest comment ever, sorry! But thank you very much, everyone  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007 08:55:41 AM »

Very nice...will we be seeing some action shots anytime soon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
sirensrising
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007 09:20:31 AM »

Very nice...will we be seeing some action shots anytime soon?
I hope so! I still have to finish it, but our anniversary is this day next week so there should be action shots after that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007 02:51:22 PM »

I didn't set the paint with anything.  A couple years later and it seems to be doing alright still!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
sirensrising
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007 05:02:26 AM »

Okay, the finished shirt! It was our anniversary yesterday but we didn't do presents then (he was unable to pick my present up from the post office, I am so curious!) but he's coming over today (my last day of summer) so I'm going to give it to him then, and hopefully action shots will follow in the near future.

This has been heat-set (or so I hope) and through the wash, design-side facing out, so hopefully it's good to go. It might crack over time, although at least the fabric paint is under it so maybe it won't even be too bad. Anyway, I used acrylics, that came out darker than they were supposed to, and are really heavy so it's possible he'll be protected from nuclear attack (always a plus). Let me know what you think? Smiley Do you think the colours are okay? I know they're not perfect but as long as it's recognisable than I think it's good enough.

(the brown looks really red because of my bedspread - lies, I tell you!)

Here's a close up of the paint:

I'm so much happier with this than the fabric paint, it just looks so much cleaner and better.

Sorry about the abundance of pictures throughout this project (and more to follow too!) but don't worry, I'm using Photobucket Wink Anyway, I better run off and shower and get his presents together! I hope he likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007 06:32:32 AM »

How awesome! I love Zelda!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007 04:34:03 PM »

Thanks, BabyAngel!

I did give it to him earlier and he loved it Smiley He liked everything I gave him but he really liked the shirt, I'm so happy! Cheesy It looks really good on him too, if I do say so myself.

So, without further ado - the action shots!

(He doesn't look all that impressed but I asure you he was Wink)

And us together:

So, it's all done and finished! He said he had no idea it was coming and that he can't wait to wear it. I'm so happy that he's happy and it was definitely worth all the paint and worries and time (I went through so many Russell Brand podcasts making this shirt) and everything, I'm really glad it all turned out so well and that he loves it so much, hurrah! If you have any comments I'm sure the boy and I would love to hear them  Wink

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Mishymishy
but you can call me Liz.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007 05:17:36 PM »

So awesome!!! and not to sound all boyfriend-stealing or anything but he looks great in it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not a woman, I'm a force of nature.

Trying to crochet a star blanket but can't start it? Check out my tutorial for help!
Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007 05:26:39 PM »

It turned out awesome!  I'm glad that you liked working with the acrylics.  They'll age really cool, I've been very happy with how mine have stood up over their lifespan.

Good call on Zelda for the boy, they seem to be easily amused with video game stuff, and that's great for us, because 8-bit pixel art is easy to whip out quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2007 08:19:10 AM »

All these fixes sound like great ideas, but here's what I think you should do after you've tried everything...

Give it to him with a great big smile and without pointing out the "mistakes!"

Your shirt is great--it's handmade, not machine made, and it is supposed to look like YOUR hands made something especially for him. I think it's a wonderful gift!  Until you started describing "errors," I saw only a cute design for a guy with a clever inside joke attached.

Remember, unless he's a really crafty person who specifically plays with fabric paint/cloth a lot, he's probably not going to see your "mistakes." (When I used to play piano for church my worst problem was that when I made a mistake I would pause just the tiniest bit, magnifying the goof  so that it was painfully obvious to EVERYONE, even those who weren't listening in the first place!)

Good luck!

I definitely agree...the whole point of him hinting you towards this was, I assume, because he wanted something he was into handmade by YOU. I know that my husband would be absolutely wriggly with joy if I proudly gave him something that I made myself, as I stated, "Look! It's my first try!!! Aren't you proud?" The pencil marks will probably just look like pixelation shadows to most people who aren't familiar with crafting anyway!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Takuto Tsunashi
How to Clean Up Photos for Print
How to Draw Superboy
How to Draw Suicune
How to Draw Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...