A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,474
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixellated Link old-skool SNES shirt...*FINISHED + now with Action Shots! pg 4*  (Read 5687 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , zelda , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: August 19, 2007 06:42:12 PM »

The first thing I have to say is that if my boyfriend is inadvertantly or otherwise happening through my Craftster posts, that he should look away now or I will be very disappointed...

And here's some space...

Okay. When I first started getting really into Craftster, I was rather tentatively Linked (har har, pun will make sense later) to this by the boy, with heavy hints and a "you like crafts, don't you?" (bless him  Grin) and a mention of preferring Link to Mario thrown in there for good measure too. Our anniversary is in just over a week so I've been working on it, hopefully to surprise him. This is what I've come up with:

Now, I'm looking at this critically because it's not for me so:
This is my first time doing anything like this so of course it's nowhere near perfect. There are two small smudges of green at the side (although they're not really noticable or a big deal when it hangs, I think, like it would on a person), my lines are all blotchy and crap, and worst of all, you can see the pencil marks through the fabric paint, and I'm guessing they're there for good. The design has been heat set and put through the wash (I didn't turn it inside out because I needed the grid to wash out, plus it got rid of excess blotchiness, although some of the brown on top is kind of faded slightly or something, but it's not too noticable).

Here's a close-up of the design - and how noticable to lines are close-up (and my crappy paint job  Embarrassed) haha my ego is dying...don't laugh at me, I tried really hard and the reason those lines are so heavy is because I made a mistake first time. They're done with pencil.

So, my question is, and I'd REALLY appreciate some help or responses - what do I do? Do I give it like this, even though it's not perfect? I don't want to give him something craply homemade. I want to give him something enviable and awesome that he can be proud of. Do I make it again? I don't know how I wouldn't get the lines in, the grid is a pain to draw and it's hard to get right (I actually put a few squares in the wrong place but I think I covered pretty well), not to mention it would cost me (the shirt was 7.50, and I'm really broke). Do I try another coat of fabric paint over it? Wash it again?

Please, I'd love some honest opinions - while I don't think this is disastrous for a first attempt, I want to know is it good enough to give to my boyfriend? Would you wear something with all those imperfections? What would you think if you saw someone wearing it?

Thanks for any input, it's really appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 04:37:05 PM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
hyspirit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007 07:11:22 PM »

put another coat of paint over it and if that doesn't do it, just give it to him, no matter how screwed up it is, (not saying that it is crappy, I like it very much.) he will appreciate it knowing that you spend your time, making it for him.  So don't worry about perfecting it, the paint smudges aren't noticeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He smells good, he really does! He smells like root beer.
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007 07:12:10 PM »

I think it would be a good idea to put another coat or two of the skin color to cover the grid.  Additional coats will also help sharpen any other lines you aren't satisfied with.  I wouldn't do it over again!  Did you use masking tape like in the tutorial?  That stuff never works for me like it's supposed to.
I would suggest using a couple things.  First of all, start with the middle, that way you are less likely to smudge.  Also, they make a marker that is disappearing ink on one end and water-soluble ink that washes out on the other end.  These are inexpensive, can usually be found in the sewing supplies or with the cross-stitch stuff, and would probably be better to make the grid the next time you make one of these shirts.  Here's the one I use: http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=13107&utm_source=shopDT&utm_medium=cse&zmam=1612697&zmas=1&zmac=18&zmap=23111460
All in all I think it's awesome and I would be proud to wear it, smudges and all!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007 07:20:22 PM by emkay » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007 07:13:20 PM »

Definetely not a disaster!  I'd try one more coat of paint over the flesh color parts to hide the grid better.  I think it looks pretty good, and the boy will like it.  If he thought he could've done it better than you he'd have made it himself right?  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://delainie.etsy.com -- Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 07:28:53 PM »

Thanks guys...I started painting another layer of the flesh-colour before realising that my problem with it in the first place is that it's practically translucent, and it does nothing to hide the grid. So there are a few blotches that'll be darker and I've possibly ruined it completely now  Lips sealed eep. I'm so stupid.

The other thing I was thinking was maybe if I get some acrylic paint in a matching or similar colour? That should cover pretty well I think, and hopefully last even without any fabric medium.

I did use masking tape, but obviously not well enough Tongue

Thanks for the replies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
dirtydarkdiva
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007 11:31:37 PM »

I would try another coat of paint. I see in the link, they suggest acrylics if you don't have fabric paints...I don't know how that would wash or hold up, but I think it would be thicker and provide more coverage than fabric paints...
ps. it's really cute, don't stress too much. Try another coat, it'll be less noticible... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtydarkdiva
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007 11:36:56 PM »

ps....pencil doesn't wash out well, that's why they say use washable marker in the tute..Wink
I myself wouldn't trust anything and would use chalk, or go get one of those disappearing markers like mentioned above!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 07:15:24 AM »

All these fixes sound like great ideas, but here's what I think you should do after you've tried everything...

Give it to him with a great big smile and without pointing out the "mistakes!"

Your shirt is great--it's handmade, not machine made, and it is supposed to look like YOUR hands made something especially for him. I think it's a wonderful gift!  Until you started describing "errors," I saw only a cute design for a guy with a clever inside joke attached.

Remember, unless he's a really crafty person who specifically plays with fabric paint/cloth a lot, he's probably not going to see your "mistakes." (When I used to play piano for church my worst problem was that when I made a mistake I would pause just the tiniest bit, magnifying the goof  so that it was painfully obvious to EVERYONE, even those who weren't listening in the first place!)

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
sirensrising
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 07:29:54 AM »

Thanks  Smiley

When the blotches of the half-layer of fabric paint dried, it looked terrible, so there really was nothing for it but to try some acrylics (the only acrylic I have is skin-colour, from an old project). It looks so much better now - I took a picture but photobucket is down so I'll upload it later. The only thing is now I think I'll go over the brown and green too - it comes out much more even and the brown and green looks blotchy and faded in comparison, so I'll have to go buy some paints (still cheaper than buying the shirt and starting again!).

My only worry is about it flaking or cracking or any other of that bad stuff - I'm going to heat-set it when it's done so hopefuly that'll help, but if anyone has any tips please fire away!

It's still not going to be perfect but hopefully it'll work out better this way, and then I can give it to him with that huge smile and hopefully we can both be proud  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Guin

Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007 07:49:10 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much - it looked awesome to me (I'm a huge Zelda fan and believe me, we Zelda nuts are completely swayed by crafty depictions of our obsession). He'll feel lucky to have it, and you! Cheesy
anyways, we are all waiting with bated breath for the updated pic. Smiley
guin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
How to Dye Hair at Home
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
How to Do the Slip Knot Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...