A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nodak secrets  (Read 8530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004 08:19:39 PM »

The way i see it we live in a happy farmer state which is sort of unfriendly to craftsters who arent making doileys and tea cozies. So if you guys know of places in the state where you can buy other people crafty things, good craft shows, anything you think the young crafter would appreciate knowing aboutor state, share. Hopefully this thread wont be a coplete dead end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
christiangrl32
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004 11:47:37 PM »

Wish that I knew of a place. I wento "The Big One" craft show last month and I wasn't really impressed. There wasn't a lot of things that really appealed to me. Just like you said...just tea cozies and faux doll tissue covers. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004 05:29:06 PM »

i know that a lot of minnesota towns have shows in the summer time. if anyone is interesting in having a communal booth at such an event in gf or in the area someone should try and pull it all together. i know i dont have enough stuff to have my own booth(sigh, one day) but id love to get a few peoples stuff together for an event.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005 12:50:00 AM »

Probably in the summer, traveling to other towns hours away will merit the booth space, eh? Some day a good craft fair will mosey along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005 05:08:36 PM »

there is tht newish yarn store in down town grand forks now, walked by a hundred times, never looked in. word on the street (aka from my g-ma) is that theyre expensive and dont have much of a selection.

there, ive let it be kown.

update. ive now gone in, its more of a specialty yarn store, BUT they do have a bunch of organic yarn. makes me happy. the organic alpaca...ooooo yum.

sooo today (december third 2005) yarn renicance closed its grand forks doors. juuust letting you know.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005 12:01:01 PM by christinanne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 01:58:26 PM »

im determined to make this thread useful so heres my new find.

deitrich sewing in east grand forks (i know i know its minnesota but its just across the bridge from grand forks) has got the nicest lady running it. they sell mostly bernina machines but she also is the only one in the area that does sewing machine repairs. she also does tune ups and was super helpful in my recent purchases. so definitly a good place to buy your next bernina

(she also has a few used machines)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005 02:06:43 PM »

ok i realize this istn really a secret, but fargo. i just spent time in down town fargo for like the first time ever. i loved it. went to the fargo yarn rennisaince. its awesome its a house just full of yarn.  hemp and bead is awesome. just. wow. fargo gives me hope for grand forks actually. and the howard johnson is just walking distance from dt. ooo and the place i had breakfast. it had like ten names but its right next to the womens health clinic, first amendment cafe and deli or something. i dunno. crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005 09:08:17 AM »

Hell yes, Fargo is awesome. Been there quite a bit recently with little time to screw around. Maybe Nick will let me drive again and I can subject him to some crafty shopping. He puts up with my sewing and crocheting on his couch when we're supposed to be spending time together, it'll be old hat soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I do personal swaps!
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005 08:46:27 PM »

arg. i cant crochet. but i have been spending quite a bit of time knitting at school/lunch/work and i think my purlely plutonic friend david thinks its kinda funny.  i was sehr tempted to take it to the metalfest for doing between taking door money. but i decided it would be too smokey smelling to subject my yarn to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005 05:05:51 PM »

And smoke and yarn together = not good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I do personal swaps!
megbeat
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005 03:00:12 PM »

Just thought I'd let you guys know about a new shop in downtown Moorhead, in case you're ever up in Fargo. It's called the Knitty Gritty Cafe. They sell yarns and have coffee and stuff so you can do your work. I've only been in there once, and I don't knit or crochet so I don't really know much about it. But if you're up here, you should check them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005 08:07:12 PM »

ooo oo oo ill be in fargo in a couple weekends for my bday. party on excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rapture

Live your Creative Potential, Be True to Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005 12:21:39 AM »

Fargo Reflections

Arts in Fargo, better than in my small town in MN I used to call home, the place that forced me to miss the downtown fair... 8 blocks of booths... Now I will never know, maybe next year

My FM arts events schedual (which says this is an arts rich community, who really knows though i have nothing to really compare that to)

where was I?  oh yes that schedual says every tuesday is something called moorhead river arts from 4-8 downtown... i just got into town last monday, maybe I will go this comming week... not that I know what or where "downtown" moorhead really is. maybe i will call the phone number when its not 2 am

August 27-28th is the Island Park Show... 200 arts and crafts booth... that does sound fairly promising... I should attend at the very least, if i get a job i will be able to afford more crafting supplies... would be nice to make some extra cash having a booth no?  anyone interested in sharing one?  I am poor.... i have 3.87 in my checking... 20 in cash.... and no job....lol.... i am in awe of my pathetic state of existance (cannot even afford internet connection, I am picking up a rogue wireless signal from what i believe to be NDSU right now, lucky me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onesmallinstrument

I am your pamphleteer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005 08:52:05 AM »

I just moved out of Minot to attend grad school in Washington.  But, I lived there my entire life so I'm pretty familiar with what they have.  There was an interesting bead store on Broadway, located in the (I think it was called) Uptown Plaza.  It used to be a pawn shop.  There is also a fairly new glass studio downtown where local crafts are sold and there are lots of different lessons that you can take.  I know that for a while there was a new art place on 4th avenue across from Oak Park - I went in there once and the woman was very enthusiastic.  She and her husband had set up all these rooms for different craft projects, quilting, painting, etc.  You could hang your art there to sell on a consignment basis.  I heard they had a fire or something, so I don't know the status.

I miss North Dakota. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you. How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands."
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005 05:15:28 PM »

I just checked out the knitty gritty cafe this last weekend, omg i love it. have some soup, drink a latte, buy some yarn, then plop down on a couch and knit my gritty little heart out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006 05:00:39 PM »

urban girl in grand forks (on columbia near the mall, in the stip mall with the coffee company) aside from being the only decent bead store in town is getting YARN. yup. theyre ditching the clothes and bringing in yarn. so yea, there wont be much, but i was in yesterday and they have the full specturm of addi turbo needles, which a full specturm of needles AT ALL is something noone else in grand forks has. oh yea, i spose they cater to you hippy dippy crocheters also. loons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bean15

I am a mean, sarcastic person who is just too nice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007 06:59:44 AM »

so this thread has been dead for quite a while apparently...but thought id add to it a bit.

fargo has some awesome stuff if you can find them:
head to the Black Building on Broadway.  there is a art/craft store/gallery where you can display/sell your stuff if you volunteer to man the counter for a small amout of time each month.  also in the same building there is a really neat India themed store.  they seem to have alot of handmade goodies and i've got lots of inspiration from there.  in the basment there is an amazing bead store.  not only can you buy all your jewelry making needs, but you can also make your own jewelry there.

on main street about one block west of the big wells fargo bank there is a store call One World Imports....they have three floors or goodies....the basement is a vintage thrift store with mostly clothes and some jewelry...the main floor has miscelleneous goods...and the upstairs is basically home decor.

Thats it for now....i'll add more when i think of/discover things
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008 12:19:24 PM »

Grand Forks -
   On the East Side (Right across from Cabelas) there is Quilter's Eden.  They have a beautiful selection of fabric there!! Also, they offer tons of different classes and not just quilting!! They had a "fabric bowl" class last week for pretty affordable prices.  The best part is that the staff LOVES to help people!  They have a little studio area upstairs and people can use there machines and cutting stuff!

There is also a local lady that does pottery classes and stain glass projects.  She also runs specials for lady groups/parties too!  If anyone is intrested, i will dig around and try to find her email!

Bismarck-
Urban Girl (downtown area) has a ton of beads/yarn/other crafty things.  They also do birthday parties for younger girls where they can come in and make some crafts and classes for all levels.  They also feature local artists (at one time they had a local artists that made purses! yeah!)

There is also a new quilting store in Bismarck, I believe its called the Quilt House.  I haven't been yet, but its rumored to be awesome and its run by the last Chief of Police!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008 12:21:25 PM by LilFiney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008 02:11:25 PM »

I'm still in the area and it's alright.

Grand Forks:
  Urban Girl is now closed and gone
  Hancock Fabrics as well

Fargo:
  Yarn Renaissance is gone from S University
  Hancock Fabrics is gone
  Bead Boutique off of 13th Ave E and 9th St E in West Fargo is new, and worth checking out. Plenty of beads and charms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I do personal swaps!
Maggirayne
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009 01:41:08 PM »

I love Urban Girl in Bismarck.
There's another bead shop up north of the Interstate, close to exit 159, Bead Chicks.

In the summer, every Thursday (July-August?) there is Urban Harvest--totally cool!  A bunch of vendors/crafters--a little bit of everything.
http://www.bismarckurbanharvest.org/index.php?target=home

Joann's
Hancock
Hobby Lobby
J & R Vac has a ton of nice quilting fabrics

The Quilt Haas
Sage Junction Yarns
Real Deals--a warehouse of interior decorating stuff, like Vlana Vlee, not exactly crafty, but you can get flowers there, it's across from Dvorak Motors--really good prices, they're only open like Thurs--Sat.

This is a local gal who spins yarn:
http://spinknit2007.etsy.com/
http://spinknitnd.blogspot.com/

I can't think of anything else.  If you look by region, there are several Etsy sellers.
http://www.etsy.com/shop_local.php?ref=fp_nav_local
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009 01:50:19 PM »

So it's been a while and an update for Fargo seems in need.

West Fargo:
Bead Boutique - 13th Ave E and 9th St E in a stripmall
  Great selection of focal beads and plenty of delicas and other basic beads as well as boutique clothing and accessories, fun to shop.

Fargo:
Beads on Broadway - Broadway strip, of course!
  Even larger than Bead Boutique with a HUGE collection of beads and beading supplies
JoAnn Fabrics - 13th Ave S and 43rd St S
  Moved to larger building and the fabric selection is a LOT larger and the staff are really freaking nice, then again I used to work there so I'm a bit biased Smiley
Hobby Lobby - 13th Ave S and 45th St S
  Smaller fabric selection than most but a lot of other craft supplies for very good prices, good fabric sales, too
Mill End Textiles - Frontage road of of Main Ave, I think it's 36th Ave S
  Quilting fabrics decent prices, great calico remnant center, AMAZING remnant bin with $.99 per yard, huge selection of CHEAP ($2.99-5.99) knits of all kinds, huge selection of upholstery fabrics... I stop here first every time, and so should you!
Michael's - 13th Ave S in the 5000s
  Good craft supplies
WalMart - 13th Ave S in the 5000s
  Medium-sized fabric selection, small craft selection, some great prices
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009 01:50:48 PM by PixieSkull » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I do personal swaps!
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009 03:31:17 PM »

I'm in Minot, and I go to Margie's Art Glass Studio on Main St pretty often to paint pottery in the basement, they're open late on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so if my husband gets home early enough to watch our daughter, its my nice escape. I've also been to a few of the glass related shops there(burnt my fingers pretty good- glass is apparantly not my thing). Upstairs they have coffees, those cool tea flowers that bloom, and various crafts from local artists. Also, in the art gallery on Main Str they have a little room that has local crafts in it, not a lot of stuff, but its fun to go look at sometimes. Other than that, I feel a little lost here in ND.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicedesigns
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009 10:09:41 PM »

Working on a art/craft store dedicated to hand made items in Minot- keep your eyes and ears open! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why buy what can be made with love?
mintdawn
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011 02:29:46 AM »

have any of yall been to that big summer craft fair that happens in fargo every year? ive not been able to go yet. is it good?

here's a link to its page and at the bottom if applications to join it.

http://www.fmdowntown.com/cal.php?id=19

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miranda July Talks About No One Belongs Here More Than You
Mary Higgins Clark Wishes She Had This Talent
Kekla Magoon Reveals Her Favorite Person in History
Reynolds Price Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Ian James Corlett Reveals His Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...