A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,474
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recipes for homemade liquor?  (Read 9268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msinformation
« on: December 06, 2004 07:55:43 PM »

Do you all know recipes for any homemade liquors?  I've seen recipes recently for homemade Kahlua, and I know about infused vodka, but there are more homemade recipes! I'd like to make some for gifts.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004 08:24:22 AM »

heres a few I have

APPLE PIE LIQUOR
1 qt. apple juice
1/2 tin apple pie spice
1/2 jar honey
3 c. everclear liquor
In 2-quart pan, put apple juice and warm (do not boil). Add apple pie spice, and honey, mix well. Add everclear and divide into bottles, cap and let age 1 month. Serve cold or hot.

HOMEMADE IRISH CREME LIQUOR
1 1/3 liquor (Irish whiskey, brandy, rum, bourbon, scotch or rye whiskey)
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand milk - not evaporated milk
1 c. (1/2 pt.) whipping cream (or coffee cream)
4 eggs
2 tbsp. chocolate flavored syrup
2 tsp. instant coffee
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
In blender combine all ingredients until smooth. Serve over ice if desired. Can store in refrigerator (tightly covered) for one month. Stir before serving

CRANBERRY LIQUOR 
3 lbs. or 12 c. cranberries
6 c. sugar
3 c. water
1 fifth 190 proof Everclear
First day: Crush berries and let stand 24 hours at room temperature. (Frozen berries crush easier in blender.)
Second day: Add Everclear to crushed berries and let stand 24 hours at room temperature. Boil 6 cups sugar and 3 cups water for 5 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate.

HOMEMADE COFFEE LIQUOR 
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 c. water
2 oz. instant coffee
1 qt. vodka
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
Dissolve sugars in water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add instant coffee. Cool. Add vanilla bean and vodka. Store for 1 month in an air-tight jar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
msinformation
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004 09:19:10 AM »

Yipee!  Those are exactly the sort of recipes I'm looking for.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kba
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004 05:14:10 AM »

Here's a few more if your still looking....

Grand Marnier

1/2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
(no white pith)
1 cup orange sections
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup brandy

Combine first 4 ingredients in jar with tight-fitting lid.  Pour brandy over top.  Do not stir.  cover.  Let stand at room temperatrue for 5 weeks.  Strain and retrun to far.  Makes 2 1/3 cups .

Irish Cream

11 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 lg eggs
13 1/2 oz can of skim evaporated milk
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp instant chocolate drink powder
1/8 tsp coconut flavouring
1 tsp instant coffee franules, crushed

1 cup Irish (or rye) whishey

Put first 7 ingredients into blender.  Blend until smooth.

Add wishey.  Mix.  Pour into far with tight-fitting lid.  Store in refrigerator.  Makes 5 cups.

Amaretto

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 cups vodka
2 cups brandy
1 1/2 tbsp almond flavouring

Bring sugar and water to a boil in lg saucepan.  Boil for 2 mins.  cool for about 30 mins.
Add vodka, brandy and almond flavouring.  Stir.  Pour into jar with tight-fitting lid.  Store at room temp for at least 1 week bore serving .  Makes 6 cups.

That's all....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rentpenguin
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005 02:49:03 PM »

does anybody know the absinthe recepie that was in readymade issue 9(ithink)Huh
i wanted to(try to) make some becuase i dont have the 45 dollars to spend on a bottle
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005 03:14:45 PM »

$45?!!!!!!!!!! Where are you buying your absinthe? its $80 at sebor, and it takes like 2 months for them to ship it. Hmmm.... please let me know if you track down the recipe. Id reccomed doubling the amount of wormwood the recipe calls for. Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005 03:49:10 PM »

Hehe... when I saw this topic I thought it'd be about illegal distilling! Grin I started to worry about people poisoning themselves with methynol etc.

Speaking of which, isn't wormwood dangerous?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kate conspiracy
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005 04:02:27 PM »

I've had that cranberry liqour before, made with vodka. We tried a similar thing with gooseberries.... bleckgh. Don't use gooseberries.

There are anise-flavored liquors which I'm told are quite like absinthe but don't contain wormwood (so you can sell/buy them in the US) - like Absente and Pernod. They're pretty tasty.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005 07:51:54 AM by kate conspiracy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zephren
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005 07:20:09 PM »

Nah, wormwood is only 'supposedly' dangerous. Ive kicked back quite a few shots of sebor in my day and Im still alive. And supposedly Sebor contains the highest amount of wormwood as far as pre made on the market absinthe goes. And for all of ya who are gonna try to cook up some absinthe at home its not a hallucinigenic. Thats a myth. Wormwood does have halucigenic properties, however, one would have to consume a rather large amount of the alcohol to experience such effects, and the alcohol would be taking its toll at that point. So er, youd be pretty drunk. All absinthe does is make you feel warm and relaxed. So dont be dissiponted when your home brew doesnt turn out to be the modren equivilant of the electic kool-aid acid test.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005 08:11:18 PM »

ooh, I have that ReadyMade issue! (there are some great embroidery patterns in it) They say (I hope this isn't very bad copyright infringement, feel free to delete it if it is, oh moderator folks)

1 - 1 1/2 ounce dried chopped wormwood
1 liter vodka or 151 rum
fine strainer of unsued panty hose
1 tablespoon angelica root
1 teaspoon hyssop
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 pinch cardamom pods
1 pinch fennel or anise seeds
granulated white sugar
whote cocktail glasses
spoons

1. In the glass jar, add crushed wormwood to vodka or rum and shake. 2. set container in a warm, dark place for 10 to 12 dyas. 3. strain out wormwood through fine mesh strainer or panty hose. 4 add remaining herbs and spices and set aside for four to six more days. 5. strain herbs, and serve.

Rules of the drink: absinthe is all about ceremony. To maximize the effect, rool out a Turkish rug, light a few candles, and cue up some Edith Piaf. We also recommend velvet smoking jackets, ascots, and a quill.

1. Pour a shot (1 ounce) of absinthe into a small glass. 2. Submerge a heaping spoonfull of sugar, letting it soak up the liqueur but not letting it spill into the glass. 3. Lay spoon horizontally along the rim of the glass. 4. Hold a lit match to the absinthe-soaked sugar. This will ignite a pure blue flame, known as the "blue fairy" and send glowing, caramalized drops of sugar into the drink below. (Only the higher proof alcohols will produce the hot blue flame). 5. Stir, add ice, and shoot down. Chase with cold water and grab the quill.

Tip: We highly recommend using mixers with a higher proof, such as 151 rum. Alcohol activates the wormwood's chlorophyll, creating the authentic chartreuse tincture that is as pretty as it is potent. Though each ingredient adds something, wormwood is the only one that's essential. Find it in health food stores and through online herb sites. Lack of hyssop or angelica root won't greatly diminish the potency though they doo add depth to the drink's flavor.

Whew! Good to know all those years as a secretary, transcribing meeting notes, were good for something. I mostly typed this out because I want someone else to try making it and let me know how it goes. So report back!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Beauty
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Highlighter For The Face
Zombie + Taylor Swift = Best Halloween Costume Ever
Best Pink Beauty Products That Give Back to Breast Cancer Charities
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...