A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: weight issues  (Read 744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Creative_Cat

When in doubt... sleep on it.

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007 12:04:10 PM »

... for fabric, of course.  Wink
I'm planning a scrap quilt and was wondering if anyone had any experience combining fabrics of different weights - in my case, it's calico and khaki. Is this a totally stupid idea? Will something awful happen if do it? Or does it make any difference at all?

Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliasews
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007 12:36:03 PM »

I think it should work. Maybe press the seams tward the calico since it's the lighter-weight fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caecilia42
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007 07:36:35 PM »

I just finished a 5'x6' top with clothing fabric (including some heavy twill) mixed with quilters' cotton. Most of my problems were due to inexperience, but I did have some problems that the fabrics stretched different amounts, so I sometimes ended up with pieces that bubbled and didn't align. If you can cut on the grain and not handle things too much, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm leaving most of my bubbles and off-size squares in because (1) it's my first quilt and (2) it's a really graphic design, so the terrible sewing is not as noticeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007 01:30:09 PM »

Also, if you distribute the different fabrics evenly it won't be a problem, but when you quilt it, you'll need to pay attention to the different weights to try and keep it even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creative_Cat

When in doubt... sleep on it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 09:07:19 PM »

thanks everybody... stretching, hmm... I was worried about shrinkage too...
I might try light fabric appliques over khaki instead, or maybe use the khakis as a back for something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargazersewer
Fat is not a 4 letter word.....

Oh, ma....let me sleep.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007 11:59:47 PM »

a bit of starch sprayed into the calicos will help with the stretching issue.  It will also bulk up the calico a bit so they weights will be a little closer a match.  I say go for it. 
Shawna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007 06:15:28 AM »

My first "real" quilt was a lap sized made of a bag of old clothes that were not worth even of donating.  It had old terrycloth jumpers, double knits, jeans, pieces of a Snugli, etc.  I used a braid pattern (not the kind you sew rectangles and then cut the sides-too wasteful) and I have now used that think like crazy.  It is my sofa quilt and my dog is curled up on it right now.  It contains every kind of fabric I found in that bag.  The only problems I have had with repairs were where I did not sew it down well and the stitching has come loose.  I simply quilted it in the straight seams and put one zig-zag down each column (outline quilting).  The batting is a couple of layers of ugly fabrics I had unsuccessfully dyed in the past. The backing came from an old skirt. 

It looks beautiful. I have washed it in the machine many times. I get compliments every time a visitor comes over. My dog is currently laying on it.  It is perfect. 

When my sister was in home-ec back in the 70's, she made me a baby quilt of a variety of fabric scraps.  Her teacher chastised her heavily and made her feel like the scum of the Earth for that.  She received a bad grade.  But you know what--that quilt was used to death and worn out and loved.  Her advice to me to ignore any naysayers and just go with what pleases me was good advice. 

Here is an image of my latest mixed fabric quilt.  It looks great and it has already been through the washer once.  It contains calicoes, denim, upholstery fabrics, satin, pieces of my scrubs, some cow fabric my sis gave me that I use in every project, polyester, and unidentifiable stuff.  It was given with the promise that when she wears it out, I'll make her another.

So... go for it.  Or, if you are paranoid, make a small sample--a pot holder or something similar.  Finish it off the same way you plan to do the quilt.  Then keep it in your laundry room throw it in the washer every time you do a load.  If it can handle being washed/dried 30 times, it is a successful combination.  Smiley  When you are done, post a picture of it here for us and tell us about the process and how successful it is. Let us know what you learned.  This topic is a huge debate amongst quilters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting a Straight Horizon in Photoshop
Product Shot Tutorial
Adding a Watermark in Photoshop
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...