A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grey Hihatin (With Tutorial)  (Read 5991 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007 07:43:40 AM »

Okey, here's the promised tut to my hihatin ^^
it's stupidly simple really, though I don't know if you'll get my instructions ^^

okey, start off with two pieces of fabric like this. (okey, my lines aren't really stright, but they're supposed to be. All but the side ones of course, seeing as the top is 80 cm and the bottom only 50 =)
My fabric is two-couloured, light grey on what I used as the inside, and dark on the outside, incase you wonder why it keep changing colours =)

sew them both together on the 80 cm sides. (of course you might realise now you could've started out with a diamond-shaped size like this from the begging and you're very right. I just happened to have a square pieces of fabric, and not a long one.
You'll have to excuse my cat, she's everywhere all the time.

fold it in half along the long side sides and sew the sleeves together from the edge and about 55 cm in towards the middle on each side.

Cut a hole on one of the sides like this (this will be the front)

Hem the edges on the front and back. Since I had this two-coloured fabric I choose to hem the inside out, rather than folding the inside in like usually, to get the light grey detail all around.

Cut two squares the size 25x25 cm and sew them together like a tube. Then fold the ends of the tube towards the middle, like on the picture.

Fold the ends once more towards the middle to create the wrist-parts.

Tuck the sleeves of the hihatin inside this wrist-circle-thingies and sew them on. (this might be a bit tricky on the machine, depending on the thickness of the fabric and stuff, so you might have to do this by hand. On my white one I managed on the machine, but not on this one.

Now, sew some kind of closing-thing in the front of your liking. I just made little loops and pulled a cord through it.

And now.. you're done =) doesn't it feel way to easy?
Mine is quite big cause that's the way I like them, so you could make it smaller if you wish.

and here's the final result =)

good luck!
and if you ever make some yourself, I'd love to see them! post post post ^^

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
LittleJoi
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007 08:42:53 AM »

http://deliciousstitches.blogspot.com/2007/05/buttercup.html

Oh my god your cat and my cat could be twins.

Oh and great tutorial too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Sweet crafty goodness from me to you http://www.deliciousstitches.blogspot.com/
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007 12:01:03 PM »

yeah! well.. on the back at least ^^ my cat looks totally different in the face

^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007 12:46:16 PM »

Thanx a lot for this tute, it is so much better than if I figured it out myself: i would totally miss the very nice back and necklining.
When I saw your first Hihatinpost I decided to try too copy thar awesome design of yours, becuse it is so very pretty! Grin
It will go great with my tubtops... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 12:53:40 PM »

*smiles*
glad I could help.
And it's not my design, like I said it's some finnish thing. I only discovered it because it was part of our village's clothing-culture at Dragonbane (a big international larp I went to last year), so I really can't take the credit =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystico_tala
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007 05:05:00 PM »

Oohh, that looks like it'll be super comfortable during the winter!  I might have to make one for the 2 days that it gets cold here so I can save on my heating bill Wink
I loved the white linen-ey one you made too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
sewphoto
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007 06:41:28 PM »

Awesome tute, I was struggling with making my own this afternoon.  I think I've made some fun additions to the pattern, at least in preliminary sketches, we'll see what actually comes of it.

Nice work, lady.
J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
The Lorax
Pilgrimpriest
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 07:28:00 PM »

Oh! I love that! I'm definitely going to have to try that soon! Thanks for the tute. I couldn't see what the lines for were very well in your other post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007 09:25:12 PM »

*smiles*
glad I could help.
And it's not my design, like I said it's some finnish thing. I only discovered it because it was part of our village's clothing-culture at Dragonbane (a big international larp I went to last year), so I really can't take the credit =)
mm, aye, I read that. But I will forever associate this hiatin-thingie with you anyway... Cheesy Never seen it before, and Im living "nextdoor" to Finland. Wink And have finish friends, but they dont know, just mumble something about folklore and the swedish nationalcostume... Wich really dont have a thing with those awesome sleeves to do. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007 11:19:24 PM »

Awesome tute, I was struggling with making my own this afternoon.  I think I've made some fun additions to the pattern, at least in preliminary sketches, we'll see what actually comes of it.

ih, I'm ever so curious! You have to show me when you're done =)

mm, aye, I read that. But I will forever associate this hiatin-thingie with you anyway... Cheesy Never seen it before, and Im living "nextdoor" to Finland. Wink And have finish friends, but they dont know, just mumble something about folklore and the swedish nationalcostume... Wich really dont have a thing with those awesome sleeves to do. Huh

*Laughs* well, if they wanna give us swedes the credits they're free to do so, even if we have nothing to do with it.
Swedish folklore, right... I can really see all those brutal gods of old run around in hihatins ^^
and the fairy, dancing around in the mist wearing them. suuuure, why not? *roll eyes*

Thanks everyone, it means a lot- really.
Three weeks from now my teen-sewing course will start so I'm a bit nervous about that seeing as I'm gonna handle it all by myself. But I feel a bit better now, so thanks =)
(And don't worry, I'm way better at sewing than these stuff might show.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 2
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
How to Build a Helicopter from Paper
How to Make an Origami Barking Dog
Stop Motion Recorder for the iPhone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...