A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yo-Yo Quilt - First & only quilt so far  (Read 4641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2007 10:52:13 PM »

I had spinal fusion surgery a while back and wanted something to do while lazing around in a drug induced state recovering.  I needed a project that didn't take a lot of thought, but wanted to accomplish something besides watching too much TV.

This is something I'd had on my list of "some day" crafts - and it really fit the bill.

It's all Aunt Grace fabrics (the 30s/40s reproduction stuff).  It wasn't a cheap quilt to make - but it was a great use of time that would have been wasted.  I cut all the circles before the surgery and then just made zillions of yo-yos while watching TV. 

I assembled small rows, then assembled those into squares semi-randomly (counted colors for even distribution), then assembled those squares into rows, then joined the rows.  It's a great easy project.

BTW the quilt at the end of the bed was made by someone else as a baby gift when my daughter was born.  She always said the kids with no faces gave her the creeps, so I still have it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007 03:15:47 PM by KarenLouiseM » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Chadams
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007 11:12:13 PM »

OMG this is so cool! You did an amazing job, i love it, i love it, i love it!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007 11:20:49 PM »

WOW. I've been working on a small yo-yo wallhanging for what seems like ages so seeing your huge quilt just amazes me! Looks great. About how big is each yo-yo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
amyb444
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007 11:40:03 PM »

It looks nice! I had that same surgery about ten years ago, and I wish I would have thought to get some sort of cool project lined up to do in the recovery time. (But I was 13, so what can I say?) Congrats on being able to turn that time into something useful and pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creative_Cat

When in doubt... sleep on it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 11:54:28 AM »

Totally awesome. great foresight to occupy yourself during a potentially un-fun time. a lot of my craft projects are planned around long trips, jury duty, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007 12:12:59 PM »

i love yoyo quilts! i found one from the 70's/80's in progress in my grandparents basement...all the circles are cut out and some yoyos are begun...i am feeling inspired now!! you did a beautiful job and i'm glad you had something to keep you busy while you were recovering!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007 08:33:30 PM »

Thanks everybody!  What nice comments.

AmyB444 - 13? That is way too young to have to go through that!  Hope it all came out okay.

SewPixie - Each finished yo-yo is about 2" (and I bought a circle cutter for fabric - lots easier than trying to cut circles - I could even stack them and get 4 at once).  It actually went much faster than I expected (buying one of those little push button needle threaders saved a crazy amount of time). 

miss_K -Fabric from the 70s/80s should make a cool one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
ImperiestroMary

Those cubists were a bunch of squares.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 09:18:09 PM »

This is so cool! I like how it could be modern or classic, depending on the surrounding decor. It's a great way to pull together a lot of fabrics and compose them nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Soledad
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007 02:29:07 AM »

:oBeautiful!   Oh I have often thought about making a yo-yo quilt(dreamed,planned,started never to quite finish).  Very nice fabric.

You said you used something to cut your fabric. I am interested in learning more of this product.  You see, I want to make a quilt ( I think it's called Grandmother's Garden) and I need to make little hexagons. 

As for your daughter and her quilt I can relate.  My teen daughter never went for dolls with hair  because she said it gave her that "fingers across the chalkboard" feeling. ::)whatever(as she would often say)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007 06:56:20 AM »

I am *so* with you about "dreamed, planned, started, never to quite finish" Grin

If it hadn't been for the enforced sitting around and the drugs/pain which made it too hard to concentrate on a book I probably never would have gotten around to it.  (Oh, and I couldn't handle the laptop sitting on my lap - so Craftster was also out of the question.)

Here's the circle cutter:
http://www.amazon.com/CMP3-18-Rotary-Circle-Cutter/dp/B0006SJB3I
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 06:57:28 AM by KarenLouiseM » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Evening Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Formal Updo
How to Achieve a Millennium French Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...