A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 74301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2005 10:51:02 AM »

Melidomi - you are a machine!  What color/yarn did you go with the second time around?  I'm embarassed to say that I am only about 4 inches in to it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2005 11:27:06 AM »

The second one is Lion WoolEase in (I think) Cranberry.  It's no where near as nice as the cashmerino, but it cost about 1/10th as much!  I have a bunch of different black ribbons at home, so I'll test out different textures (grosgrain vs satin) and widths over the weekend.   And I may include a cream colored ribbon as well.  Hmm, silvery gray might look nice, too.  I'll try and get a picture up.

Last night I decided I was going to finish it up, and let me tell you, it goes SO MUCH slower after you've attached the sleeves.  I was already an inch or two above the join and it took me probably 5 hours to finish - and then the power went out when I was about 1/3 done with binding off!! So frustrating.  So I finished that this morning.  I guess I'm a little compulsive Tongue

But yeah, if you knit for at least 1-3 hours every day, it's amazing how much you can get accomplished! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurayeo
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2005 06:35:19 PM »

Thanks gloriana and lizajane73! Both your ideas for the ribbon are great.  Grin I'm so greedy now I think I'll buy a few colors to mix and match with my mood.   

Here's another idea I hit upon. I dunno if it sounds good to everyone here. But here it goes! Use the ribbon, but instead of tying it into a bow at the side, tie it into a knot so the ends still dangles down. Then crochet or knit a flower...or if u have a flower brooch or otherwise, pin it where you knotted the ribbon. I think it would look gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2005 07:58:45 AM »

Flowers go on EVERYthing!  I crocheted a version of a shawl from Free People a while back, and the original has a big, fat ribbon threaded through at the top.  It looks fantastic, but I had a bunch of yarn left over and I made a huge (6"?) flower to match, and you can take the ribbon out all together and use the flower pin and a hairstick like a scarf pin to close the shawl and it looks completely beautiful.

Well, so, yeah, I think a flower would look really lovely with this sweater.  I was also thinking it might look pretty with something besides ribbon.  A lot of people have been talking about threading in some elastic.  What if you used lingerie lace?  It's pretty, comes in lots of nice colors, and is made to be elastic.  Does that sound totally weird?  I'm not finished with mine yet, so I can't try it out, but I think it would be a really comfortable and stylish way to add the elastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2005 02:03:58 PM »

I'm just starting sleeve #1. I decided to count rows as well as measure, just so I have 2 sleeves exactly the same. I'm a dork like that!

Now I'm trying to think about the best way to block this cotton ribbon. I'm guessing steam will be okay, I'm just in love with my iron...makes my stitches look perfecto!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2005 09:39:30 PM »

*Does a dance*

I finished my sweater. Yay, I love it. Ok, so I don't look like a super model and I had a few odd complications when I made it, but hell, I made a sweater, my very first sweater *strutz*

Ok, I am such a dork but I am terribly pleased to have made my very first sweater ever, not a bad accomplishment for a person who just learned to knit a little over 2 months ago. Now I wish I was a size 3 instead of a rather Marilyn Monroe'esque body size and type. The sweater doesn't look bad on, but if you are busty like me, make sure you have a good bra on or you are going to look like Dolly Parton gone wrong. I tried this on braless when I finished it so I could adjust the bow properly and husband oogled.... a lot.

And I have pics, well one pic anyway. I will get better pictures later when I talk the husband into taking pictures of me. No teasin the chubby chick tho Tongue This was my present to myself for hitting the 25 lb weight loss point. Which took forever I might add and I am babbling again, aren't I.

I made the sweater out of woolease. I know, not as good as cashmerino but much cheaper for a first sweater project and actually pretty durn comfy if you ask me.

Gawd I hate pictures of myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
goodkarma
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2005 11:07:22 PM »

IrishWitch, it's absolutely lovely! I especially like the darker rose color at the top. Very pretty.

I'm glad to see this on you because a) I wanted to see what it would look like up on the shoulders and b) I also have a generous bustline, so I wanted to see that, too. See, I can't go braless so I would want a Tempting that could cover my shoulders.

Great job! It's your first sweater? Amazing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2005 11:21:08 PM »

Well, I just attached my sleeves. I had a bit of a head scratching moment when I ended up on a knit section and had to attach a knit section (it should have been purl), so I fiddled it a bit. I SWEAR I counted correctly. Hrm.  Working with the DPN's was great. I highly recommend bamboo ones!

Its looking good. I'm still not convinced I have enough yarn mind you.

It was also nice to be using denise needles since I just increased a segment so now I have more room to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wizkid
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2005 09:13:18 AM »

I, too, have just cast on for this. I'm using cheap-y yarn, because this will be my first sweater, and I just want to try it out before investing a lot of money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
stitchinbitch
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2005 06:17:32 PM »

this is my first sweater, too...my 2nd project altogether (okay, i've started several and worked on them just for fun, but i've never actually looked forward to the finished project enough to finish anything else...) i got the wool-ease, because i'm totally cheap...especially since i don't know if this will end up with 3 sleeves or some other freakish malformation...i just started tonight...i'm already doubting the color...it looks nice in some light and gross in others...weird...i'm easily frustrated, and no one around me knits at all...(i taught myself online, and i still wonder if i'm doing everything right), so it's SO nice to be able to read about other people's experiences with the same project...and to see pictures! But the pictures make me feel woefully inadequate...
i'm positive mine will not compare...it's fun, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fishtail Braid
How to Put Your Hair in a Bun
How to Put Your Hair in a Messy Bun
How to Apply Relaxer Onto Black Hair
How to Take Out Micro Braids
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...