A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 67017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2004 05:13:08 PM »

Ok, Meli, I actually cast on the other night (I used my size 8 circ plus a size 3 dpn so I was sure to get nice, even, loose stitches.  Since I haven't even gotten to double digits on number of completed projects, I find this method really helps me make my cast-ons even.  When I get better at it, I imagine I'll be able to drop the extra needle.)  It seemed like it just barely fit on my needles, but I only got mostly done with my 1st knitted row before realizing I'd screwed up on the ribbing somewhere along the lines, and figured at that point in the work it'd be better to just frog it and cast on again.  I just haven't done it yet.  So, maybe my 29" should be OK and I just haven't gotten far enough with it.  I decided to put it away until I figured out the circ-length issue.  (So maybe I'll get it done by Christmas...)  Meanwihle, I started a pair of socks on the size 3 dpns, and am almost to the heel of one, so I'm starting to "get" the circular knitting thing, and that'll help, I think.  Maybe I'll start with the sleeves on dpns after I'm done with these socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2004 06:17:36 PM »

I bought Schachenmayr Aurora in Navy from Elann for this. Ordered it Monday afternoon and got it on Friday (today). Nice!

I probably can't cast on until I finish my holiday gifts, but I'm looking foward to it. I hope it looks okay on me, I'm pretty darn curvy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2004 11:30:10 AM »

Ok, i have been trying to resist the temptation (yes, bad pun I know) but I will probablly join in on this after christmss. I have some delicuous navy I can do this in, or I have some .... whch I am not usually a frilly sort, but I have some pinks in wool ease that would work perfect for this. Its a darling sweater and will be my first try at something past the usual scarves, hats and whatnots that I have been making for christmas.

Good luck to everyone and dont forget to post pics so I can see how badly mine looks to you experienced knitters  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2004 12:59:59 PM »

Experienced knitters:  Hah!  Don't feel alone, IrishWitch.  At least two of us are also going to be stumbling into new territory with this project.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2004 03:01:17 PM »

yeah, I've never attempted anything like this, either!  and I've never actually followed a pattern.  (I got close w/ my last hat, but still changed a bunch about it)  lol, and with this I'm still planning to make the body shorter, make the sleeves longer, and make the collar higher!   Tongue  well, we'll see how it goes....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2004 05:01:46 PM »

I'm in, too, though i have no camera Sad 
I'm making it in Christmas colors- bright green wool-ease with a big red ribbon at the top.
If you don't mind answering, what sizes are you planning to make? I have a 34" chest, so I was planning on making the 36. But..... the 2 sweaters I've made have both been far too large for me (and yes, my gauge was correct). It's nice to make people happy with unexpected knit sweaters, but i want something for me, dammit! Smiley 
I'm thinking of at least trying the smallest size, but my nerves are so frazzled from finals week that frogging might be the end of me. I could easily solve this problem by finishing the easy knit presents I've started, but no. That would be too reasonable.
Good luck, everyone!!! The color choices you've made sound yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
gloriana
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2004 09:24:01 AM »

tinygoatstacker, I would recommend making the smaller size - with a ribbed sweater, you can make a size smaller and it will fit b/c the ribs are so stretchy.  I recently finished the "Audrey" sweater from Rowan 35, which is 2x2 rib all over (like Tempting) and made the size 34", even though I'm a 36" bust - and it fits great, hugs every curve.  That is, if you want it to hug all your curves, I'd go a size smaller...

From what I can tell from reading the pattern, I think this sweater is going to be great for folks making their first or second sweater - it'll be challenging enough to keep it interesting, but uncomplicated enough to be a good intro to sweaters...  I've never knitted a sweater in quite this way before (I usually knit stuff flat), so I'm looking forward to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2004 09:52:40 AM »

I bought my yarn and needles yesterday - sadly had to make do with bamboo,  because they didn't have the right size Addi's.  But I looked sad about it, so she gave me 20% off the needles.  Anyway, I've knit up one ball so far.  I got color 202 - light blue (you can see a reasonable representation here) and I'm going to use a chocolate brown ribbon.  Incidentally, this will help me justify the purchase of a really cute pair of light blue and brown shoes i've been eyeing for about 6 months. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2004 05:19:39 PM »

I read a post by the designer on the knitty board that said this sweater is meant to stretch. This is exactly what she said:

Yes, it is meant to stretch and fit a woman with a 32 in bust. This finished size (if you layed it down on the floor) would be much smaller than 32 around.

goodkarmra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2004 08:22:51 PM »

I looked sad about it, so she gave me 20% off the needles.  ......  Incidentally, this will help me justify the purchase of a really cute pair of light blue and brown shoes i've been eyeing for about 6 months. 

i love you melidomi. you are a gal after my own heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mexican Bark Painting Part 2
How to Make a Mexican Bark Painting Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style Drawing Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 2
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...