A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 66960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004 07:39:12 PM »

If the needle is too long your could alwys do the "magic loop"- thats what i do when i do socks on circs Smiley

ill be in once i get the yarn and am no longer banned from knitting Smiley (and done w xmas presents, but i only have to spin those so its no biggie)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2004 08:47:46 AM »

Whats the magic loops?  I measured my needles, and they're 29".  (To be honest, I bought the Boye interchangeable parts, and the cord thing said 21", which turns out is the length of the cord, and I thought it was the length of the finished needle.  Some day I'll be able to invest more in my needles, but for now the cheapest option is the only way I can keep knitting.)  I can't find any 24" in town, so I'll have to either figure something out to use the ones I have, or order some and wait.  I don't want to wait...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004 09:16:27 AM »

I've decided to splurge and go for it.  I'm going to buy the cashmerino, and maybe even Addis to knit it on.  this is my Christmas present to myself - a beautiful, stress free, entirely sensuous knitting experience just for me.  me me me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004 10:15:02 AM »

go for it melidomi!   if i hadnt been unemployed for the past 6 months i would get the cashmerino too.   someday when i'm financially settled i won't even think of buying cheap crap. after all, there are so many hours and so much love in handknit items, it's just a waste to use inferior materials.   but *sigh* for now wool-ease is all i can do  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
Quincy134
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004 10:44:27 AM »

I think the magic loop thing that you are refering to is when you knit circularly on TWO circular needles.  Check out this tutorial:
http://www.az.com/%7Eandrade/knit/twocirculars.html
I did it once for a hat, and it worked out fine.  You just need to get the hang of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004 11:45:38 AM »

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html is a tutorial for magic loop knitting on one way-too-long circular.  I'm not sure 29" is too long enough, but it's worth a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004 12:26:07 PM »

Oi.  I think I could do that, but I'd rather actually learn to knit on circs the regular way before I try something tricky...  Maybe I'll just have to go to the LYS and see if THEY have the right size needle.  I can't really afford the extra cash, but maybe this can wait until after Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004 12:52:53 PM »

Actually, Loth, I think your 29" circs might be fine to just knit normal-circularly for this pattern.  Especially if you're not doing the smallest size.  The finished measurments list as 32" and up, and there's no shaping to this pattern, so 29" should be fine (I'm pretty sure the umbilical cord baby hat has a finished measurement of 16" and calls for a 16" circ).  Try casting on and working a few rounds - your cast on row is usually much less stretchy than your real knitting, so even if it feels a bit uncomfortable for the first 2 or 3 rounds, don't give up.  Keep going until you've got maybe an inch done.  Then evaluate. Don't forget to cast on loosely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2004 01:22:42 PM »

Brilliant thought  Since this pattern is done circularly from the bottom up and has no shaping before the armholes .... you can try it on! you may have to use a bit of waste yarn to keep it from jumping off the needles, but you can totally put the tube on, pull it up to your armpits, and see how low it goes.  That way you can make it EXACTLY as long as you want (good for both the short torsoed and those who want to wear it with low rise pants and no peekaboo effect).  How cool is that!?!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 01:30:39 PM by melidomi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quincy134
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2004 02:00:45 PM »

I know, I love how you can try on sweaters that you are doing in one big piece.  And you're right, slipping the stiches on some extra waste yarn or an extra circular is key so that you don't drop stitches.  I always think I look funny in the mirror when I do this though, since I have four circular ends hanging off my torso. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Curves of the Image
Choosing Image from Sequences
Setting Up the Camera
Camera Set Up
Camera Raw Processing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...