A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 66057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SCARVELOUS
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004 12:38:07 PM »

I'm in, but I won't be starting until after December 18th, when my last Christmas order is due.

Do I really need to buy another set of size 8 DPN's?  I will probably not do that and figure something out as far as the stitch holders are concerned. 

OK, I have just checked out the yarn at yarn market $7.85, does anyone know if I can get it cheaper than that? If not I will order it from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OUT OF MY MIND....BUT FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004 12:46:36 PM »

I'm going to the store tonight to pick up a ball of each, and knit up swatches on my straight needles so I can be sure I get the right size for my first pair of circs.

i would go for the cotton ease, and then just adjust the pattern accordingly for gauge.  remember that gauge on circs usually doesn't match what your gauge on straits would be....

SCARVELOUS-
Webs www.yarn.com has cashmerino for $7.50/a ball, and they give you a 20% discount on orders $60 or more...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004 12:57:29 PM by kadreath » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sexylovekitten
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004 02:30:25 PM »

*crosses her fingers that her hubby gets her the whole set of knitting needles she wants for christmas so that she too will have circs and be able to join in the funness*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004 03:54:15 PM »

Why is guage on circs different than guage on straights?  Can I get a close idea?  See, I've got these $20 gift cards, one to Joanns and one to Hobby Lobby...  I was planning on buying the yarn at one store and needles at the other...  I'm just trying to get an idea since I can only buy a limited number of needles and want to be sure I get the ones I'll need for the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004 08:29:08 PM »

Lothruin--what i would do in your situation is buy the circs listed in the pattern, use those to swatch with the yarn you will use for the project.  compare your gauge to the one listed, and make alterations to the pattern accordingly.  That way, you can be sure to have enough yarn Smiley

btw, if i recall correctly, gauge on circs is usually looser... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004 09:06:10 PM »

I am such a dork.  I went to Joanns this evening and looked at yarn.  I'd settled on the Cotton-Ease and was just going to buy some, but discovered my Joanns doesn't stock it.  So I almost got the Wool-Ease.  And they hardly had any needles at all.  I almost bought the 29" circs, but didn't because the pattern calls for 24" and I know you can often safely go SMALLer but not BIGger.  So, after all that, I settled on some "Sensations" (Joanns brand) wool yarn.  It's really pretty, but was $5.99/skein.  I figured, "What the heck.  The Cotton-ease isn't too expensive, and I KNOW Hobby Lobby carries it.  These were my gift certificates, why shouldn't I splurge on some yarn intended for ME to wear?"

Then I got home, with my yummy yarn, no circular needles, no yarn for THIS project, and another $20 certificate just begging me to go shopping again tomorrow.  And I sat down at the computer and went to Joann's website to see if they had any patterns for this yummy yarn.  And saw that on their website, ALL THEIR YARN IS 30% off!!

@&$*#^%~!

Eh, tomorrow, on my way to spend my other $20 gift certificate at Hobby Lobby, I'm going BACK to Joanns, I'm going to return the yummy wool yarn, exchange it for a gift card in that dollar amount (or so) and then bring it home and buy my Cotton_Ease and a 24" circ, BOTH of which are carried on the Joann's website.  I do really like this wool yarn, but DAMN IT, what's a girl to do? 

So, 4 skeins of the Cotton-Ease (that's half again as much yardage as called for in the pattern, which should be more than enough to compensate for a slightly different guage, I'd think) and a 24" circular needle, plus shipping and handling, will cost me roughly $2 less than what I spent on yarn at the store tonight.  Darn it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
rhell
i'd rather be knitting....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004 11:37:38 PM »

once i get through the finals and the holidays i would love to join
i have some cashmerino stocked up somewhere.   i'm thinking black and red stripes would be awesome for this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....like you're grandma's sewing machine on acid...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/i_hate_shoes
SCARVELOUS
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004 05:05:42 AM »

THANKS so much Kadreath, I'm on it. 

Rhell - I was thinking the same thing as you, I don't think that I am going to do this in one color, but I might just make the borders a diff. color than the main body. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OUT OF MY MIND....BUT FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE
Quincy134
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004 05:36:06 AM »

Your gauge on circs changes when you are doing st stitch, because when you knit the the round, all the st stitches are knit, not knit a row, purl a row.  So if you knit tighter than you purl, you will get a smaller gauge.  If you purl tighter, it's vice versa.  But this sweater is ribbed, so it shouldn't be as much of an adjustment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004 10:18:32 AM »

i cast on 2 days ago and am about 9 inches up the bodice.  my little fingers are getting QUITE the ribbing workout.   i am so poor, so i went with lion brand Wool-Ease in black.  the guage is RIGHT ON to the cashmerino woo hooo!!  also, it was only $8 total for the yarn.   and it doesn't feel too yucky either. 

i am hoping to make it a little longer than the pattern author-- she is five foot tall and weighs 100 pounds.   holy cow.  wish i had that bod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use GIMP Freeware Image Editor
How to Convert Images Into Icons in Gimp
How to Make Animated Wallpapers in Gimp
How to Speed Up Videos Using Camtasia Studio
How to Create Water Droplets in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...