A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 73718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Quincy134
« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2006 03:42:47 PM »

One problem with 100% cotton yarns is that they don't tend to hold their shape well.  Usually a blend with some acrylic will hold ribbing better.  Otherwise your sweater might stretch out of shape. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: February 13, 2006 08:36:18 PM »

I finally got some pics. I'm calling this 'Tempting gets Liberated' .. comments and pics are here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79885.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
kristinmm
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2006 02:30:16 PM »

I finished my Tempting today: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=80803.0  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

delyrium
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2006 11:14:11 AM »

this is my first post here and my first attempt at a sweater...

i'm about four inches into tempting, using the recommended yarn in a deep navy.

my concern (like everyone's, it seems) is the sizing. i'm making the small right now... but i'm afraid that even that is going to be too big. i barely have a 32 inch bust... and i know that ribbing stretches quite a bit. i'd like to try decreasing at the top but haven't a clue as to how to calculate this (this is my first sweater, after all!). would it be enough to simply switch to a smaller needle size at the top? do you suggest that i frog what i have so far and start over with fewer stitches (no!!!).

can anyone help me out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2006 11:34:13 AM »

my concern (like everyone's, it seems) is the sizing. i'm making the small right now... but i'm afraid that even that is going to be too big. i barely have a 32 inch bust... and i know that ribbing stretches quite a bit. i'd like to try decreasing at the top but haven't a clue as to how to calculate this (this is my first sweater, after all!). would it be enough to simply switch to a smaller needle size at the top? do you suggest that i frog what i have so far and start over with fewer stitches (no!!!).

can anyone help me out?

I'm no expert.. but I ran into the exact same problem.. I took it off the needles on some waste yarn and tried on my little few inches I had.. sliding it up around my bust and then down to my hips. No way was it fitting, so I started using safety pins to pin it into a smaller circle to figure out what size it was going to fit me at.

You can see from that pic that I took it in quite a bit before it fit my snugly on the bust like it was supposed to. I was trying to make the medium so I pinned it where the small would be and it was still too big - so I went even smaller.

Yes, ripping out is painful to do. But look at it this way.. you'll have WAY fewer stitches on the needles, so each round will go that much faster! Believe it or not, I went from 180 stitches around to just 124. Which made it grow so much faster that I absolutly didn't mind ripping out the part that was already done.

As for the sleeves later - that became a bit confusing. So I make the sleeves as per instructions, or do I make them smaller.. or what? And how many stitches to join them..? I just kinda fudged my way through it all through trial and error (I knit the sleeves 4 times before I was happy with the fit) and it worked somehow. You can see finished pictures here: http://www.artsygal.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=3

I'll be happy to help you figure it out if needed. Don't be afraid of it though - mine was also my first sweater - and I couldn't be more thrilled with it!

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
MotherMoon
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2006 12:52:19 PM »

I am just getting going good on this. I am wondering something. After years of breastfeeding, I have to wear a bra and can't wear strapless ones well. Any ideas on making this bra friendly. I mean don't the straps show?

Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: February 07, 2007 04:07:48 PM »

i just finished my last class today and am now an inch into my sweater.
i'm using the ac moore cashmerino bulky (because the regular weight one was insanely thin for me)  and i'm so in love with it.  i decided to use the size 7 needles i had because i was so impatient to start it.  they gave me a 20st/5st - 4" gauge so i co 160sts
i'm definatley going with red and black stripes.  i'm also probably going to eliminate the ribbon (too girly for me) and make the sleeves long.   did i mention this is my first sweater, oy.  but i'm all sorts of excited.

Jumping in way behind everyone else...

I plan to start this as soon as I finish Tubey. I was wondering what a good substitute would be for the ribbon, since I would just look awkward with a bow. Fabric-covered elastic? I got the impression that the top really NEEDS something to hold it up. I would do without it if I were experienced enough to know how to make the proper modifications. Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: February 07, 2007 04:40:01 PM »

I had to do self portraits, my husband was making me blurry and horribly unattractive! I made the Large, and I'm a 36DDD. Its still kinda big on me and longer than I thought!

how much yarn did you use for your tempting? And what yarn did you use for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
How to Use the Copy SOP - SideFX Houdini
How to Use Metaballs - SideFX Houdini
How to Texture - SideFX Houdini
How to Do the ScreenFlow Zoom Effect - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...