A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Tempting" knitalong - Winter Knitty  (Read 66209 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: December 06, 2004 04:46:50 PM »

At the prompting of girlypirate, I thought I would start a knitalong for the gorgeous off-the-shoulder ribbed sweater Tempting from the brand new issue of Knitty.  Here is a link to the pattern -

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html

Anyone else interested?  I will probably not be able to start this project until next month, but I will most likely buy yarn and swatch for it before the holidays start...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004 04:53:50 PM »

can anyone think of any cheap subs for the yarn?  I know it's not that expensive, but it's a little over my budget...  I don't really care about what type of yarn, just if anyone has an idea for a similar weight.

it says it's worsted weight, but not all worsteds are the same...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glccafar
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004 04:55:49 PM »

I'd love to join in after the new year.  I already have silly questions about how to do a short torso length with a medium bust size and I'd love some support!  (This will be my first sweater you see.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004 05:24:42 PM »

ditto, glccafar!  it seemed too long to me, too.  but I think it shouldn't be too hard to change that; just don't knit as long for the body.

I'm very confused about the whole joining the sleeves thing, myself...  but before I try to figure it out I think I'll decide if I'm making it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004 09:38:31 PM »

i like this sweater a lot, and may just have to join in on this knitalong...after the holidays, that is.

can anyone think of any cheap subs for the yarn?  I know it's not that expensive, but it's a little over my budget...  I don't really care about what type of yarn, just if anyone has an idea for a similar weight.

it says it's worsted weight, but not all worsteds are the same...

check out the gauge for the cashmerino...you should be able to find something compatibale, no problem.  at web's www.yarn.com they did have another brand of cashmerino--it was way cheaper, but i can't remember any other specifics...you might check that out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004 04:28:31 AM »

i'm definitely in.  i'll probably get started sometime next week just to get the yarn going and start really working on it once i finish all ninety seven goddam eyelash scarves that everyone wants for christmas.  oh, the endless fluffiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quincy134
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004 07:34:13 AM »

I would love to join!  But this project will have to be on hold while I finish another sweater first.  I think I will try a cotton blend yarn for this.  I just made a skirt in cottonease, and it has worn beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004 08:18:10 AM »

all riiiiight!  I'm looking forward to seeing all of your sweaters...

I will post again after a trip to the LYS next week, but I'm pondering using Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora instead of the Cashmerino - b/c I live in Houston and knitting lighter garments is always more practical.  But then there's the Cotton-Ease, too, so maybe I will check that out as well...

and as for other aran-weight subs, you may want to search Elann's website - I think they have a search function where you can search by yarn gauge.  I noticed that they have an aran-weight Jo Sharp Tweed that looked nice...  and generally their prices are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004 09:01:40 AM »

That sweater is hot. Its probably a little advanced for me but rest assured I will slobber all over the photos of all of yours until I can make my own!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004 12:17:42 PM »

I may as well join the Knitalong, as I think I'll make this for my sis for her birthday.  Like others, I probably won't start until after the holidays, but you just never know.  After all, I've got these gift certificates eating a hole in my pocket, and I want this to be my starter circs project. 

I'm torn between the cotton-ease and wool-ease.  My sis lives in Atlanta, so part of me says the Cotton-ease would be a better choice.  Plus, I like the colors better.  But then, the wool-ease recommened guage is closer than the cotton-ease, and the wool will have a little more bounce, I think, so may be better for that project.  Tough choice.

I'm going to the store tonight to pick up a ball of each, and knit up swatches on my straight needles so I can be sure I get the right size for my first pair of circs.

I'd also like to add:  Too long?  Really?  *sigh*  You all must have much prettier tummies than I do.  I think it may even look like it's pulled down a bit, and any shorter and I'd be tugging on it all night so it covered my sad little stretch-mark-riddled belly.  Of course, now I've let the cat out of the bag:  I really want to make one for myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Adobe Flash Slide Show
How to Create an Adobe Flash Web Site
How to Create an Adobe Flash Preloader Screen
How to Create an Adobe Flash Video Player
How to Animate in Adobe Flash
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...