A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 422642 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Riddikulus
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2005 05:11:24 PM »

I adore this hat. I've only seen one episode of Firefly, and sadly, there was no Jayne hat to be seen, but I saw Serenity as well and enjoyed what I saw.. although, coming from someone who knows very little of the show, I have to say I was quite impressed with the cast's ability to sustain what sure seemed to me like ridiculously fatal wounds.. hahahaha.

Oh, what the hey, I'm going to have to try knitting this at some point. I have a few questions, though - first off, the only small-sized circulars I've been able to find in my area are 12". Now, seeing that I'm seventeen and don't believe I have a particularly large head, I think they just might work for me.. but I thought I'd ask anyway. Second of all, I was wondering what color and brand of yarn some of you guys used for this project? Preferably stuff that hasn't been discontinued.. 'cause I was thinking of making my first online yarn purchase sometime soon. (And just to clarify, I'm fairly new to knitting and this will be my first hat and first non-scarf/slipper project.)

Thanks practically a bazillion. This has been a really interesting/entertaining thread to read, and has definitely made me want to watch more of Firefly.. provided Sci-Fi decides to air it again.. haha.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005 05:14:18 PM by Riddikulus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2005 05:22:39 PM »

Oh no! You can't wait and hope they show it!  Sad You have to go borrow the DVDs from somewhere! I loved the movie so much I went out and bought the sereies on DVD! And I don't regret it!
The episode with the hat in it is called "The Message" . I am such a geek Roll Eyes

I used Cleckheatons Gusto. Any thick, rough wool in the right colors should do. I followed the "Jayne Cobb Hat for Mugua" pattern. And I'd never knitted ahat before. Well, not successfully!

You can find it here:

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=bigdamnknitters
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005 06:55:39 PM by geek-pride » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2005 06:24:11 PM »

Even 16" circs will be fine, with plenty of room for movement. Even a small head is at least 20", I would think (mine is nowhere near that, LOL).

This hat is a great reason to learn to knit. It's not terribly difficult, and you'll have a real motivation. Then you'll be the envy of all your friends, and you'll know how to knit! I kind of combined a couple of the patterns, mostly following Emisanboo's that's linked on the first page.

Yarn recommendations: I love the Lamb's Pride Bulky that I used for my hats (I've made 4). You should be able to get 2 hats out of 3 skeins (1 of each color). It's wool, but not scratchy. I wore my hat through the whole movie without any trouble, and think of myself as being fairly sensitive. If you can't find any bulky weight yarn, you can work with 2 strands of worsted.

Seriously, you don't want to wait for a station to re-air the episodes! The DVDs have extras, and commentaries and then you can watch the good parts over & over. AND be sure to see them in order! If you can't afford to buy them (understandable), maybe someone you know could loan them to you, or you could get them through a library or video store rental? My set is my all-time favorite DVD possession. I've had it for almost 2 years and have watched the series easily 5x.

(The original airing of the series didn't include all the episodes, so we didn't get to see the hat until the DVD set came out).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005 06:34:14 PM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2005 01:51:22 PM »

I've made two Jayne hats (by donation) for friends so far. One friend sent me $20, the other sent me $40. The first two looked good, but not rustic enough for me. I just finished the third one, which has earflaps that are a little uneven and an extra long top. What else can I do to rough it up?

Here's the first one. Not nearly as pinkish as it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2005 07:50:40 PM »

You can always sprinkle some hay or wood-shavings on it for that authenitc "straight-out-of-the-box" look! Wink

Or you could brush it a little with a stiff brush to rough it up... gently. You don't want it to look angora-fuzzy!  Undecided

You could throw it around in the dirt a little for that authentic "used-by-Jayne" look!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blck_celebrtion
Misanthrope extraordinaire

Misanthrope extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2005 09:33:08 PM »

I so bookmarked this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2005 03:15:57 AM »

What else can I do to rough it up?

Got a dog?  You could let them have at it, but keep an eye on it to be sure they don't eat the pompom.  These things are pretty sturdy, though.  I've found my six-year-old swinging around ones that were destined to be shipped to customers, and you couldn't tell a darned bit of difference.

If you're making another, you could try going up a needle size for looser stitches.  It might not be quite as warm,  and you'd want to cast on fewer stitches, but if you also tried to keep your tension uneven it might help it look more rustic.  And by "rustic" I mean "crappy."  And by "crappy" I mean "Jayne-like."

And yeah, I definitely get notified via e-mail when someone responds.  This thread is great.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
BatGrrl
« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2005 08:40:15 PM »

I love that this thread has been going for a year!

Go Firefly fans! Kiss

The craft thread that would not die, inspired by the television show that would not die....

My life would be so empty without Joss Whedon!

Pieces,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mackster
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2005 03:25:41 PM »

I haven't checked this thread in forever!

26 pages. I love you guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

opiate_rose
« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2005 03:19:48 PM »

I just made this hat for my friend Josh for the holidays.
Here's the hat on my office floor:

Here is the top of it:

Here is me wearing it and looking like a nerd:

It's huge on me because I have a kind of small head and Josh has a huge one so I made it a bit bigger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FHI Heat Technique Ceramic Ion Styling Iron Review
Karmin G3 Salon Pro Hair Straightener Review
How to Create Volume with a Round Brush and Blow Dryer
What Hair Extensions to Choose
How to Flatten Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...