A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 423118 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2005 06:51:30 PM »

I made my own... I didn't see this post until after I started, so I made up my pattern. I'm pretty happy with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2005 09:19:20 PM »

Most excellent hat!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
BatGrrl
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2005 11:14:28 PM »

Thanks, folks, for helpful links and encouragement.  For the record, apparently I chose a bad illustration to try to teach myself to knit with in the beginning, and mayhem ensued.  Much twisting and what were probably half hitches.  My friend who knits set me halfway straight Thursday morning and the rest of the way Thursday evening before we packed up her kitchen for her move today.  (I knew it was bad when she picked up my project, inspected the stitches closely, and laughed.)  After she showed me what I did "almost exactly perfect" with my stitches, I was too tired and frustrated to realize that I could keep the live end of the yarn on the right sides for the ribbing by going over the TOP of the needle.   Roll Eyes

This morning when I started in around 8:30am, I had only the casting (version 4.0--the only thing I actually did right on my own..and redid right, and etc.) and maybe ten stitches tops.  I managed to complete the hat in time for my husband to wear it to the show tonight...well, when I held up my quarter-ear-flapped hat and convinced David we should go to the 8:55 show instead of the 6:30.   Wink  So a fool who's never knit a proper stitch in her life can build Rome in a day, though typing sure feels funny now.  It's not entirely pretty--dropped a few stitches along the way--but it served the purpose , which was to be the only cunning hat at the late show in Oshkosh tonight.  I plan to make one for myself, take my time, and do it entirely right.  And still be able to type properly.   Cool

Incidentally, the hat made a cameo in the film.  I know some people here probably saw the Can't-Stop-the-Signal showing--did somebody already post that the hat was in the film?  Don't blink, though--you'll miss it.

Thanks again, for posting the pattern and helping out.  And the action figure pic--totally fabulous!

Pieces,

Joanne
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005 11:16:46 PM by BatGrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2005 03:08:30 AM »

Heh.  Mine was the only cunning hat at my showing, but a lady had one at the showing ahead of mine.  When she saw me wearing mine she pulled hers out of her purse so we could compare hats.  I did get some compliments.

I totally didn't see where the hat was.  I'd like to ask where, but I'm afraid that might be a spoiler for those that haven't seen it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
crazycatladymel
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2005 05:22:14 AM »

If you check out my LJ, there's a thread about it from last night (hidden, so people have to click on it to see), and I mention where the hat is in the movie. I wouldn't think of it as a spoiler, but you never know.

ETA: Oops. I thought it was in my sig. http://crazycatladymel.livejournal.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BatGrrl
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2005 05:37:08 AM »

Emisanboo--I PMed you with the somewhat rambly details. 

If anyone else wants me to do the same (I'm thinking particularly people who haven't seen it yet and may want to know when to look while still avoiding major spoilers), PM me and I'll PM you back.  Though I'm attending a wedding today and may not be able to reply until tomorrow (doesn't help anyone who wants to figure it out for tonight, I guess).

Pieces,

Joanne
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 05:39:34 AM by BatGrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2005 09:04:19 AM »

YES!  I thought I was just going crazy... too much knitting the night before the show or something, but I'm glad someone else saw the hat, too.
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
whiterabbit

. . .some people juggle geese!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2005 11:24:45 AM »

My friend and I went to see the movie again, and after reading this thread we found the hat. It's such a quck cameo, but a brilliant idea to put it in!

Also, for something on topic, I made one for myself and a friend of mine, and we wore them to the screening. (His earflaps are much better than mine, I made my own about a year ago when I hadn't quite figured out flat stockinette stitch)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(http://swayinglights.com): things i make, things i like, things i see.
slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2005 03:23:43 PM »

Good job with hanging in there BatGrrl.  Some of my projects were learned with the multi-version, Take Out And Knit Again ProcessTM... as many of us have, I'm sure.  Frustrating, yes?  But you learn!  So good job!

Hat in Movie?  So it is?  I never saw it (May 5th screening and last Friday release).  I did notice him wearing "a hat" in a trailer and wondered if it was "The Hat" with a lot of wear and tear... because it didn't LOOK like The Hat to me... Don't post here in case of spoilers... but I'll PM BatGrrl. Hmmmm... good thing I'm going to see it again this week and/or several times this coming weekend! I can be on Hat Lookout!

BTW/OT: Serenity came in #2 at the boxoffice this weekend with $10.1M.  That was lower than hoped/expected but we have this week and weekend to ramp it up.  And it was released in a limited number of theatres, so there was a cap on how much it could gain this week.  boxoffice numbers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
treecrabby
Big D@$* Eyeballs

Shiny!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2005 07:32:32 PM »

Ack! I missed the Hat cameo!

I shall have to go see the BDM again, oh no!

beatnik_chik, your hats look super cunning!

I didn't have Jayne Hat #4 finished in time so that I could wear it to the DC midnight showing what all the browncoats was at, (I was knitting during the previews) but I shall wear it next time, o yes!

I did have three very happy Big Damn Hat recipients... one even wrote me a song!

"She knits cunning hats
From yarn of such beauty
If she be a pirate
Craig Parker be her booty
Our love for her now
Ain't so hard to tell
The Hero of the Beltway
The woman they call Kel!"

(Not sure how Craig Parker got in there, other than we've had a long running joke about Craig Parker's Pants...)

WE'RE #2! WE'RE #2!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005 07:34:11 PM by treecrabby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh my god, who's knitting this thing? Oh, right, that would be me."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Silver Jewelry
How to Make Resin Jewelry
How to Make a Jump Ring
How to Make Leather Bracelets
How to Make Glass Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...