A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 410267 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UkeBoy

Lets all be the lives of the parties!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2005 12:10:14 PM »

Very nice hat...very beautiful eyes!

-Sean  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always dress for Paradise...you may have to board the ship today!"
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2005 12:20:12 PM »

Yep!  I just did a totally different hat (can you imagine?) for a client, and did the proportions with about ten more stitches in the front than in the back.  It worked out pretty well.  I've heard the proportions should be closer to 2/3 in the front, 1/3 in the back.

Here's a pic of the hat so you can see where the earflaps fell.

(I do sell the hat and am thinking about making the pattern available somehow.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
treecrabby
Big D@$* Eyeballs

Shiny!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2005 01:58:30 PM »

Now THAT is a very cunning hat!

I was looking at the Jayne hat screencaps again today to see what the earflaps looked like... that hat is so big on AB it's hard to tell, hee hee  Grin

Yup, not only do I got Big Damn Earflaps, I got Big Damn Eyeballs Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh my god, who's knitting this thing? Oh, right, that would be me."
BatGrrl
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2005 07:16:51 PM »

Oh....this is my very first knitting project, because my husband was searching for a Jayne-like hat desperately enough to go to a thrift store without me (he HATES the thrift store).  I'm trying to follow the general pattern on the top of the third page, with the exception of me using just double points instead of a curved needle, too (my knitting friend's over-the-phone advice, since none of the local stores seemed to stock the right size and length of curved), and it looks like it's gone horribly wrong.  The cable casting went swimmingly both times I did it (the first time I started the 1K1P I tried to take out a stitch and wound up with the whole thing unravelling instead), and I was extremely careful about not getting it twisted (the yarn store lady was very helpful about explaining that before I left the store), but after the first row of 1K1P was done, it looked all funny--some of the stitches looked like the neat stitches on the online beginner help sites, but some of them looked funny--like in the eighties when you hooked two jelly bracelets together to make one larger one with one color each circling half your wrist (yeah, I know--technical knot names, other than slip knots, not my thing).....as I've been trying to put the next row on, it's been difficult and it doesn't look pretty.  I have to start all over again, don't I? 

Can anyone recommend easily available, quick-reference, idiot-proof help?  It's not that I'm an idiot....I learned how to change my own alternator over the phone and can design and sew quilts from absolutely nothing, but despite my uber-Joss-Whedon fan status, I seem to have no affinity for these pointy sticks..... Undecided

Perhaps the whole problem is that I had some sort of delusion that reports of 'easy' would mean I could manage it between today (which seems to have been wasted), tomorrow between my classes, and Friday while my hubby worked to surprise him with said completed project before the show......there's really no prayer of that for me as a first timer, is there?

(Oh--and I had to go with worsted weight acrylic--I don't know it that makes any difference.  I am highly allergic to wool...even 15% makes me break out...and I figured that my first project would look slightly less than shiny so there didn't seem to be any point in buying the $10 a skein stuff.)

Somebody.  Anybody.  Help.  Please.   Embarrassed

See you in the world,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2005 07:27:27 PM »

Hi, Joanne!

A common thing that people do is to wrap their purl stitches the wrong way, but I'd be willing to bet that it's just a matter of the first row looking weird just because it's the first row, so you can't quite see how it's going to look yet.

There's a website that has actual quicktime videos so that you can see what the stitches look like while being knit.  That might be helpful for you.  It's at http://www.knittinghelp.com

If that doesn't answer your questions, holler again and we can all take another stab at it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

treecrabby
Big D@$* Eyeballs

Shiny!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2005 11:56:49 AM »

Jayne 3.0 made and delivered to a happy recipient! I'll have to get pictures of it next weekish Wink

I made the earflaps 16 stitches wide instead of 20... I think I might do 18 on the next one since they do roll in a bit.
I also spaced the flaps farther apart in front... looks pretty cunning!  Grin

Now I finally get to start on MINE to wear tomorrow! (Of course mine shall be the most cunning since I have figured out all the tricksy bits by doing the first three, muhaha!)

Hi Joanne- ditto what the illustrious Emisan said... and if you're doing the whole thing on dpns it's likely to look wonky until you get about 10 rounds into it or so and it calms down Wink
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 12:05:04 PM by treecrabby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh my god, who's knitting this thing? Oh, right, that would be me."
slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2005 12:34:58 PM »

Heh.  If you slim down the earflaps, I'd recommend also possibly putting them a little further back on the head.
Yeah, I ended up leaving more of a space in front between earflaps than in back.  I don't have my notes with me and I can't remember off-hand but let's pretend I remember for example's sake ~ 64st: 16 front, 18 earflap, 12 back, 18 earflap ~ you get the idea.  You can narrow the earflaps and set them back at bit.  Also, the larger your "front" vs. back, it makes it obvious which way to put it on... when it's even placement, it don't matter much!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 12:53:57 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2005 01:48:23 PM »

Tiny Jayne Hats
Small Jayne hats for lapel pins, christmas tree ornaments, etc.

Sorry it's taken me this long to get back here... I was working with this self-theorized pattern:
> Dale Baby Ull yarn
> Size 2 dpn, 20st
> 5 rows orange, 5 or so rows yellow, then decrease. 
I hadn't settled on a decrease I like yet.  You could k2tog one row, knit next row, etc. OR k2tog every 5st or something... if you've made the regular size Jayne hat, you can figure out how the smaller size goes.
> 6st red earflaps. stockinette stitch two rows (or whatever looks right to you), then (WS) p2tog, purl 2, p2tog, (RS) knit row, p2tog x2, knit row, purl & pull tail through loop with extra for tie-tails.
> make pompom by wrapping yarn around large(r) needle, fork handle, dowel, or whatever is handy and has the proportion you like.

BUT here's the thing: I like the size stitches of #2 needles, but they don't work out right w/20st body & 6st earflaps.  So I'll probably be moving to size Zeros (see Maggie's pattern in next post).  I'll probably do size zero, 24st, 5 rows orange, 5 rows yellow then decrease, 6st red earflaps.   

What I have learned:
> you could probably make a successful pattern with size zero, one, or two needles;
> it helps to cast-on to one needle, then knit your first row and distribute onto dpns in-the-round, closing the circle in your second row;
> All of my dpn's are a little too long for this project.  You can use regular dpn but I had trouble.  If you don't want to use what you have but dread buying more supplies for special projects, this is what I found, get ready to giggle:
  • 14 gauge wire (steel, copper & electrical) is equal to size 2 needles, copper seems most malleable and you can get this from your hardware store for approx $0.20/ft., cut with wire cutters into 4 pieces
  • 16 gauge wire (steel, copper, electrical) is equal to size Zero needles
  • bamboo cooking skewers are equal to size 2, you can cut and sand those down
  • round toothpicks are about size 2.5, but are too short to use effectively
Also, I've found that:
  • Brittany makes 5inch dpn, many sizes
  • I have 4in. dpn (or stitch holders?), approx. size 3.5 (that's why I wonder if they are true dpns) that are grey plastic (Skacel?).  I can't find them again in a store to verify what they are.  4in. is a great needle length for this project.
  • and there's someone making these for you! (Maggie, see next post)

ETA: okay, I got a full pattern description from Maggie and have posted by itself below.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 05:17:22 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2005 05:16:02 PM »

Posted with permission by slgn*

Maggie's Tiny Jayne Hat Pattern
Jayne hat for a 12 inch action figure, i.e. GI Joe or Barbie sized.

I use size zero (2mm) needles with Plymouth Galway 100% wool yarn in orange, gold and rust.

CO 24 orange
K1P1 around 1 row
K 4 rows st st
change to gold
K 5 rows
K2 K2tog around
K 1 row
K1 K2tog around
K 1 row
K2tog around
K2tog around again, to end with six stitches
break yarn and pull through remaining stitches
pull through and weave in end
earflaps:
pick up 6 stitches in rust
work 6 rows st st except first and last stitch, which is garter
k2 k2tog k2
purl
k1, mitred double decrease, k1
purl
mitred double decrease
Pull yarn through to make a long loop.
Cut the long loop and the yarn going to the ball, to leave three long ends.
Braid, tie off in overhand knot, and trim to have short ends.
Repeat for other earflap, making sure they line up over the action figure's ears.
For the pompom, I cut one-foot lengths of each color, separate the four singles that make up one strand of Galway yarn, combine them so there is one single of each color, and then cut to 3/4 inch pieces and lay them flat on a strand of gold. When the pile is thick enough, tie very tightly in a square knot, sew the pompom on, and trim. (I use a strand of gold yarn separated into just two singles to tie the pompom, since it's less bulky.)
Weave in all ends, and voila! A cunning Jayne hat!
-----------------

Take's her about an hour.  She's selling tiny Jayne hats, including ones that fit the action figures.  You can see her work here: Serenitymovie forum (login required) or email her maburns(at)uplink(dot)net.  Here's a picture (and true, that is not the Jayne action figure): link
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 05:18:04 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2005 05:27:04 PM »

Soooo cute!  Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Flirty, Tousled, Party Ponytail
How To Rock A Simple Braid For Your Holiday Party
5-Minute Holiday Updo Hairstyle
Emma Rees Shows You How to Get the Glamourous Soft Wave Look
Holiday Hair Tips: The Perfect Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...