A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,659
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 409890 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2005 09:28:31 AM »

cool.  I think I might give them a try. (in that magical timeline I'd like to call "soon.")  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
crazycatladymel
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2005 09:44:52 AM »

They don't seem to have any bulky wool, but I'm sure that could be followed by "yet." You could easily do the hat w/ 2 strands of worsted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2005 01:22:55 PM »

They don't seem to have any bulky wool... You could easily do the hat w/ 2 strands of worsted.
yeah... well that's what I'm doing with this hat as they didn't have any bulky in that I wanted
(at least in any variations close to those colors - which we have all experienced.  LOL I ran into an old acquantiance at MYS and she kept saying, 'why are you using those colors? why not something in blues... or...' I just kept asserting I was duplicating a hat that already existed... or trying to but her and the staff were very helpful with picking out other colors. Grin )
I figure for $1.79/skein... I could live with doubling.  We'll see, this is my first time with bulkier yarn (or doubled) and with large needles.  I've always stayed in the 5-7 range.  10+ seem HUGE.  I just wish they had black.  I see coal gray but not black.  Hmmm... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
motoredxheart
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2005 10:25:52 PM »

Hey guys, I have never knitted before, but my friend sent me a link to this thread and now I must make this hat.  Dragon*Con is in September and the cast of Firefly will be there, I must wear this!   Wink
So with that rant being said, I am having my friend help me make it since I am brand new to this.
Is there any tips you guys could give me that might help?  Maybe a trick or something that made it easier for you?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2005 05:20:45 AM »

This hat was the first thing I knit for myself, so I have special love for it. And I envy you for getting to go to Dragon*Con!

This isn't a terrible first project, actually. There are a few things you have to know:

• casting on & knit stitch (basic)
  • knitting in the round (not hard) - 16" circular needles in the size called for
  • color changes (not hard -- tie the new color to the old color right near the fabric and continue)
  • decreasing (grab 2 stitches instead of 1 and knit) -- you'll need double-point needles (DPNs) for when the hat gets too small for the circular needles (the most complicated part, IMO)
  • picking up stitches (for the earflaps -- sounds hard but not really)
  • pom-pom (1st graders do it all the time)

What you're essentially doing is knitting a basic striped hat and then adding the earflaps. The concept of an earflap hat always intimidated me until I realized that this was all you had to do.

Try to get the yarn called for in the pattern. It's not expensive (if you can find it) and it makes the patterns easy to follow. I loved knitting with the Lamb's Pride bulky. You need the 3 colors of yarn, circular needles & DPNs in the right size, a yarn needle (for weaving in the ends after you're done) & scissors (any kind). I recommend the pom-pom maker you can get for about $3-4. You can use cardboard, but the little maker was much easier for me.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motoredxheart
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2005 10:41:12 PM »

Thank you so much!  I have to admit the earflap part did intimidate me when I first decided to make this, but hopefully with your help and my friends I will be able to pull it off.
Can't wait to start, I'm off to buy the yarn & markers tomorrow!   Cheesy
You should come to Dragon*Con, I've gone every year since I can remember.  We can wear matching Jayne hats!  heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2005 05:02:52 AM »

Have fun!

I did a little diagram for picking up stitches in this post. It's a little different, because it's in the round, but the description of how I picked up the stitches might help. If not, post here and I'm sure someone can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2005 08:51:25 AM »

Okay I finished my first JC hat! Cheesy <no pic as no digital camera>

I ended up combining the two patterns discussed here, the salient feature of which was a decrease that left for some puffiness but not as dramatic as k2tog every row.  I think I like how it turned out. 

Here's the thing... (I never in my life thought I would post on an internet board about this):
I'm worried about my pompom. Huh 

I tied the yarn as tightly as I could (I was worried about breaking the yarn actually I was pulling so tight) and then after tying it (1/2knot) I wrapped the yarn 180degrees and tied it there tight (1/2knot) then back to the original side (180degrees) and tied a proper knot.  Fluffed up my pompom, trimmed if needed, etc.  But I'm noticing that if I pull on one piece it is loose enough to pull from the other side. I don't remember ever seeing this before.  Was I just more gentile with pompoms in the past?  I mean if the recipient pulls at pompom parts or washes this thing... won't the pompom disintegrate?  Did I miss something?  Did I screw up something even a first grader can do? 

OH and when I attached the pompom to the hat, I did go through the pompom once or twice which might help, but Huh

*sigh* Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2005 10:53:39 AM »

But I'm noticing that if I pull on one piece it is loose enough to pull from the other side
I was at MYS last night and asked them... it just sounds like I made my pompom too full.  Need to have that outer rim mentality and not waste so much gorram yarn.  I'll redo.  Wish me luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2005 10:57:50 AM »

I'm glad you got an answer. I was clueless. If mine fall apart, now I'll know why. Thanks for sharing your findings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...