A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 412463 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catboy
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2005 02:37:44 AM »

Okay, here it is!

It looks okay, but i really stuffed it up as it is too small for my gorran head.  Oh well, it just means a smaller-headed friend will get it as a present and i must knit another for myself.
(Advance screenings of the BDM start next month here - i cannot wait)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2005 07:41:52 AM »

It looks great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2005 01:14:38 PM »

Ni-haody everyone! 

So I finally decided I would make a Jayne hat for an event giveaway. Been resisting the itch otherwise.  I went and spent an hour (would've been longer if they didn't throw me out to close up) swaying back and forth at the pletheria of yarn choices.  Of course what I wanted was all three colors in Lopi or Lamb's Pride Bulky... but you know how it goes: orange here but yellow only in worsted weight... beautiful handdyed-golden-yummies for three times the price of one Lamb's Pride skein... sigh.  I finally decided on my skeins and skidaddled.  Even though I wasn't 100% behind my color choices but resigned to move forward, I became giddy at the idea of starting my hat.  My other neglected projects began to murmur among themselves... what was this 'fancy new thing' that was getting all the attention?

So then I decided to watch the Message & the Easter Egg and congratulate myself on my yarn bounty.  And so here's the thing and this springs from my own neurosis; it's not intended to start a riot -

the hats we're all making are yellow (gold), orange and rust red.  But are my eyes and/or tv settings wrong?  Is Jayne's hat not more (and I'm using these color descriptions to be as specific as possible - these will never exist on a yarn shelf): acorn squash orangey-gold; pumpkin orange; and burnt, dark-orange?  Even the online screen caps I find look like three variants of orange. 

I remembered it as yellow (gold), orange and rust red... I love the hats y'all make... have I gone crazy or color blind?  cuz I'm seeing something else now. 

*sigh*

your thoughts?  and thank you!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005 01:19:52 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
crazycatladymel
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2005 04:13:21 PM »

I thought the hat looked different in the easter egg too. My husband (film/photography background) assures me that the lighting probably threw the colors off. He may have been saying that to make me feel better, but it works for me. Most of the time when I watch the show I see orange bottom, yellow top, red earflaps & pom pom out of all 3 colors. My only problem is that I had to go with a dark red instead of a brick red, but 90% of the hats I've seen are the same.

I had the exact same experience trying to find all 3 colors in one brand in one thickness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catboy
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2005 08:43:39 PM »

I ended up making a second hat for myself that was a little too big,and i thought i had read somewhere that to shrink wool you had to place it in just boiled water.
My hat could now fit an elephant.  It is ruined!
So third time lucky, hopefully... but does anybody have any tips for how to slightly shrink a too large beanie?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2005 03:49:12 AM »

I think it has something to do with agitation & soap, plus the hot water. Try swishing it in a sink of hot soapy (dish soap) water for just a few minutes -- you don't want to felt it all the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2005 12:41:17 PM »

xie xie crazycat!  yeah, I knew the lighting was different in Easter Egg but I started obsessing anyway.  That's what the question became... make mine like everyone else's (in the real world) that I luv or try to be painstakingly accurate when my gorram tv might not be showing me the right hues anyway.  LOL

I have Sunburst Gold (which looks WAY more gold than that); Autumn Harvest; and Spice.  But I'm gonna go back and look tonight to see if Ruby Red or something looks better - now that I'm not freakin'.

BTW - The yarn shop folks told me that their Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky "Autumn Harvest" has been on back order for a long time (months) and that even the company's out.  I don't even see it listed on their website (other than the worsted 1ply). hmmmm....

I thought I'd take another look at Knit Pick: Wool of the Andes.  I did see it in my shop but it didn't catch my eye.  I found it here online for $1.79/50g ball in Daffodil; Pumpkin; and Carrot (or Cranberry or Hollyberry or something). Anyway.. don't know much about that brand but that is a nice price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
crazycatladymel
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2005 12:50:09 PM »

Just so you know, I couldn't get the yellow I wanted in bulky the second time I had to buy it, so 2 strands of Lamb's Pride in worsted gave the same effect as the first.

The people at "my" LYS said that they have a hard time keeping a steady, consistent supply. They just take what they can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2005 01:51:30 PM »

so 2 strands of Lamb's Pride in worsted gave the same effect
cool, that's what I'm doing (or will be doing) now.  Glad to know it actually worked (with pleasing results and all).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2005 02:16:03 PM »

I thought I'd take another look at Knit Pick: Wool of the Andes.  I did see it in my shop but it didn't catch my eye.  I found it here online for $1.79/50g ball in Daffodil; Pumpkin; and Carrot (or Cranberry or Hollyberry or something). Anyway.. don't know much about that brand but that is a nice price!

Forgot to reply to this part. I haven't had personal experience w/ them yet, but everyone seems to love whatever they get from there. I'lll be ordering from them when I'm ready to tackle my sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
UberPrints Review
Lee Mindel on His Creative Process
Developments In Architecture Today
The Collaboration Between Designers and Science
Paola Antonelli on Forces That Shaped Humanity Most
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...