A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 422477 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2005 07:24:11 AM »

catboy -- I wish I could remember what I did for my guy! He has a biiiiiiiiiiiiig head and his hat fits fine. I know I took into account the decreases. Every pattern I saw had you using the same size needle for the ribbing as the rest of the hat (I tried using a smaller needle for a neater look, but it didn't look right), so if you swatch it and figure that you get 4 stitches per inch and your head is 26" around (whatever) that should give you a good # to start with. I think I did 84, b/c it's divisible by 6, but don't quote me. I'm seriously hoping I wrote something down somewhere. I made 3 hats, all different sizes, but it was months ago. It's still, hands-down, my favorite knitting project.

Mackster -- I SO want a shirt for the movie! I am too clumsy for silkscreening (lurve the image you picked!), so I'm starting now trying to perfect an inkjet t-shirt transfer. I want to find the perfect, kick-ass quote, but most of the best lines were conversations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catboy
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2005 08:07:18 AM »

thanks, crazycatladymel!  it sounds like a good place to start, and i guess once i cast that many stitches on it should give me some indication of whether it will fit.  will post my results hopefully soon.  or not, if it's a total bust Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2005 11:24:45 AM »

Yeah, I like Brown sheep cause it's not too itchy.  Did you use bulky or worsted weight?  Seriously....next hat I make stays with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2005 11:27:19 AM »

Mostly bulky, but on one hat I couldn't get another skein of the color I wanted, so I used 2 strands of the worsted and couldn't tell the difference.

I was surprised how hard it was to get these basic colors. I think I used lemon yellow, harvest (autumn harvest?) and crimson. No one place had all 3 in bulky, and I went to 3 pretty well-stocked stores!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2005 08:08:00 PM »

Sorry to bump this again, but I found my notes from making the husband-sized hat (26" head):

#10 circs
CO 76 stitches w/ orange Brown Sheep bulky
3 rows k1 p1
3" st st

switch to yellow bulky
3" st st

Decrease (#10 DPNs)

I'm not at all happy w/ how my decreases turned out, but the pom pom hid them! I don't remember if I started knitting 2 together or decreasing in rounds. I think it was the former, but don't quote me.

Earflaps in red bulky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catboy
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2005 08:19:51 PM »

thanks!  when i finish my current gryffindor scarf i will get started on this and let you know how i went!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2005 01:45:24 PM »

Holy moly, that's a good-looking Jayne hat.  Nice story about your boyfriend wanting one.  It shows he is a person of taste and style!

I also had trouble getting all three colors, and finally had to order them online.  We had some red and orange around here, but no yellow.  Go figure.

I'm continuing to plug away at mine at wearwithstyle.com, and I peek around the internet now and then to see what other folks are doing.  We've got some talented Browncoats around here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
crazycatladymel
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2005 05:43:55 PM »

Emisanboo: Thanks! He wore it too, which made it an even nicer experience (if he'd asked for it and then put it on a shelf...). Well, it's freaking hot right now, so it's on a shelf. But he wore it this winter. I wanted to make one in cotton, but I can't find the right colors thick enough. Plus it looks right in the wool.

It's so tough about the colors! One store that I love carries NO Lamb's Pride. Three others carried it, but none of them ever had all 3 colors in bulky at the same time. But 2 strands of worsted works well too.

This browncoat needs a t-shirt to wear to the movie. I'm having a tough time deciding on the right image/phrase.

(On an unrelated note, I saw Adam Baldwin on the new Fox show, "The Inside," the other night and his character looks kind of quirky. Plus Tim Minear is writing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2005 05:39:36 AM »

Yeah, his character's quirky - but not on screen enough!  C'mon, guys, he's an excellent actor, use him more!  I needs me more Baldwin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2005 09:00:32 AM »

Yeah, his character's quirky - but not on screen enough!  C'mon, guys, he's an excellent actor, use him more!  I needs me more Baldwin!
Here here!!!!  Although my sister and I just stumbled across one of his darker secrets....Molly and Roni's Dance party (look it up on Netflix of the internet)....I'm at work and haven't seen the whole thing, but from what I can tell he's some kinda dancing policeman.....Still hot though :-)
Just to keep this about crafting....I whipped out about 3 hats last week....gotta get ready for the BDM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bus Stop Style
Stacy Keibler Dishes On Her Red-Carpet Style
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...