A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 413845 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004 06:16:19 AM »

EDIT: This post is getting many hits from Google, so let me also say that I have modified this somewhat since it was posted.
_____

Heather's Firefly hat
Jayne, original Jayne hat image, and Firefly copyright Joss Whedon
This specific pattern copyright Heather Hill
For non-commercial use only (I'm flexible, contact me with questions)

I used Lopi in yellow for the top, orange for the bottom, and rust red for the earflaps. Any suitably rustic wool will do. This hat is sized to fit someone with a head of between 21-22 inches around, which classifies as medium to large adult. To change the size, you may wish to alter the gauge, yarn or number of stitches cast on. On the ribbing, I think two rows of ribbing would have looked more authentic, but I was a bit worried about it curling. I'll do just two rows on the next one to see how it goes.

Yarn: 1/2 skein orange, 1/2 skein yellow, 1/2 skein rust red Lopi
Needles: 16" circular size 10 1/2 + 1 set double-pointed 10 1/2
Gauge: 12 stitches and 17 rows over 4 inches (or thereabouts)

BODY OF HAT:
Using orange, CO 64. (I used cable cast on, as I wanted it to be nice and loose.) Being careful not to twist stitches, join and place marker to indicate the beginning of the row.

Work k1p1 ribbing for three rows.

Still using orange, knit for approximately 2 1/2 inches. At the end of the round, switch to yellow and knit for another 3 1/2 inches, or until it looks high enough to you. It should stick up off your head just a bit.

On next row, k2tog over entire row, switching to double-pointed needles when hat becomes too small to work on circular. Repeat k2tog with subsequent rows until you have seven stitches left. (Number of stitches left may vary depending on how many stitches you cast on.) Cut yarn and draw through remaining stitches to cinch up the top. Weave in end.

EARFLAPS:
At base of the hat, find the back. You may still have a tail hanging down that would indicate its spot. If you don't, really, you can just find anyplace. Ma Cobb isn't worrying about precision, neither should you.

From the back, count six stitches and place marker (PM). Count 20 stitches from that point and PM. Count 12 stitches and PM. Count 20 stitches and PM. You should have four markers, which will mark your earflaps.

Using rust red, Pick up and knit the 20 stitches between the first and second marker. Work in stockinette stitch for approx 3 1/2 inches. (Stockinette is knit one row, purl one row. Remember, the knits go on the outside of the hat (RS, or right side), the purls go on the inside (WS, or wrong side).)

At beginning and end of each RS row, k2tog (knit two together). At beginning and end of each WS row, p2tog (purl two together). Do this until you have one stitch remaining. Cut yarn and draw through. Don't bother weaving it in, but you can knot it again if you want. Cut a length of rust red yarn and loop it through one of the bottom stitches, tying it off. Ma Cobb left three (or so) little ends on each earflaps so her boy could tie it.

Repeat with other side of hat.

POMPOM:
If you know how to make a pom-pom, skip these directions. Make a pompom about four inches in diameter with a little bit of yellow, some orange, and a lot of rust red and attach it to the hat. If you want to see directions for pom-pom making with pictures, go to Bev's Country Cottage and click on the third "how to" pom-pom link. It's a nice PDF.

In a nutshell, Cut two circles out of cardboard, each about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Make a hole in the middle of both about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. (This isn't precise. I stuck my scissors in the middle and wiggled them around until it looked about right.) Cut a length about the size of your arm of all three colors and thread them onto a tapestry needle. Push the needle through the hole and begin wrapping around the outside, so that you're covering the cardboard part. When that yarn is gone, cut a length of orange and rust red and repeat. Then cut a length of rust red and repeat. Keep wrapping until you can't get any more yarn through the middle of the hole in the cardboard.

Take your scissors and cut around the outside of the cardboard circle. Separate the circles just a bit. You'll see that you have a little bundle of yarn, with the individual pieces all lined up. Take a length of yellow yarn and tie it firmly around the middle part. Remove the cardboard. Tie the pom-pom firmly to the hat. You may want to use a tapestry needle and loop it around more than once so the pom-pom isn't floppy. Fluff up the pom-pom.

FINISHING:
Weave in any loose ends, except the ones at the end of the earflaps. Remember, Ma Cobb isn't worrying about the odd bit sticking out here and there, so you've got some leeway if your hat doesn't look perfect.

Congratulations! You have a cunning hat!

If you have questions, feel free to contact me at hill at booboomonkey dot com.

I think I may make up a couple of these for sale at a convention for the online roleplaying game Dragonrealms I go to each summer, if I can figure out any copyright issues with making a lookalike. At the very least, I'll be sporting one!

ETA website info.
ETA kits now available + noncommercial use only.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 08:05:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
Mackster
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004 07:49:36 AM »

For the record, on the hat in my picture, I did pretty much the same thing as Emisanboo did for the orange bit. Instead of knitting the rib and then knitting 3 1/2 inches of stockinette as the pattern suggests, I knit stockinette until the whole orange bit measured to 3 1/2 inches. If you do it the first way, the orange part becomes far too wide. Should have mentioned that before! I also cast on 56 stitches on mine, and the hat fit just perfect. But I have a small head, so 64 is probably safer.

And yes, I'm attending a local art/fantasy-type con in June, and am also thinking of making some to sell. I imagine since the pattern creator does it without qualms, we can too...? I plan on emaiing her for permission just in case, as it's her pattern and I would want the same respect given to be if it were mine.. It's not like I'm stealing her business by selling them on the internet.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merwing

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004 10:46:55 AM »

Awesome hat! I LOVE firefly. can't wait for the movie. Maybe the  Hat will make another appearance?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomikpop
Tutorial Contributor

one monkey don't stop no show

knit happens

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004 11:14:35 PM »

Woo! I finished my Jayne hat today! ...gave it to my fanatical friend and witnessed him shit his britches. lookit!

i'm so totally proud of myself. *puffs chest*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mackster
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004 04:54:03 PM »

NICE! The hat is gorgeous!

Man the Firefly fever is spreading!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005 08:57:46 PM »

atomikpop, that hat looks fantastic!  Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomikpop
Tutorial Contributor

one monkey don't stop no show

knit happens

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005 11:37:17 PM »

thanks bunches! it was the easiest hat i've ever made! & the best looking one too! :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murmur_j
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005 06:27:55 PM »

Oh Jayne.
More men should be named Jayne.
*sigh*
thank goodness for this awesome hat, the DVD set and the movie coming out in November!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005 05:07:07 AM »

Howdy!  I heard from the person who has the other pattern, and looked back through this thread and realized I had only referred to that person as "this guy."

"This guy" is actually a gal named Amelia, and has a site at  www.dryope.org.  She's also got a really cute photo of a little girl wearing her Jayne hat, complete with little pieces of straw still stuck to it.  Too adorable!

Hats off, Amelia, your pattern is great.  Thanks for continuing to spread the gospel of Firefly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpurse
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005 06:58:18 PM »

Okay, I thought I was excited the day I first came upon crafster... then I saw that someone had stenciled a Blue Sun shirt (which I have since done myself) and now I've found people making Jane hats... it's so nice to realize that you aren't the only girl on the block into Firefly and knitting!   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Emisanboo, I checked out the link you have to The Message and I'm so psyched!  I thought I had combed the internet to find a good pic of Jane's shirt in that episode and now I have one... shiny!  I've just started my first scarf but the Jane hat is going to be project #2.  The hubby is going to crap himself when he sees it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - File Naming Inside the Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Manage Your Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Showing Off New Features
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View Thumbnail Metadata and Labeling
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Filmstrip View
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...