A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 423302 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ashestoashes

you'd better not mess with major tom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: February 03, 2007 07:48:23 AM »

I made a Jayne Hat this week! It's going to be a birthday gift for a friend. He swears to me that if I made one, he would wear it, despite his hatred of pompoms and the brightness of the colors. We live in an area with a lot of college students and geeks, so I don't think anyone will even look twice...actually, they probably will, but in a good way Smiley

It was also my first time ever making a pompom and I think they're kind of fun.  I used Berkshire Bulky yarn from Webs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007 08:12:10 AM by ashestoashes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

I dig personal swaps.
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: February 03, 2007 08:01:26 AM »

That turned out great!  And I love the yarn - but your link's a little wonky.

I hope your friend takes lots of pics to prove to you that he wore it out in public!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
ashestoashes

you'd better not mess with major tom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: February 03, 2007 08:12:59 AM »

Thanks!

I fixed the link.

I plan to take some pictures when I give it to him as proof Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

I dig personal swaps.
goysu

Military intelligence is NOT an oxymoron!

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 17, 2007 06:29:20 PM »

Hey all! This is my first post here, and I found this thread on another Firefly site. Don't ask me which one, cause I would NEVER be able to find it again!  Smiley

Anyway, I read through this entire thread and didn't believe there were so many Browncoats, nor did I believe there were people who came up with a pattern for the Jayne hat. Which leads me to my question... Are there other patterns out there, and can anyone link them here?

I have seen two patterns here, but I'm wondering if there are more out there. I just started knitting again, and I was pretty much a beginner when I dropped it about a year or so ago. So I was just wondering about the patterns out there and if any of them were easier or harder by comparison. I am doing a scarf now, but my plan is to try and make this myself. One more thing, and this may sound stupid, but what is Lopi and where can I find it? Most of my yarn buying experiences have been with the large chain stores--Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Thanks for your help...and I am SO glad I found this thread!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My inspiration for knitting came from Firefly and Serenity!

The Hero Project by Martin Firrell

I'm BrowncoatKnitter on Ravelry! Come check it out!
BatGrrl
« Reply #394 on: March 17, 2007 06:50:37 PM »

I learned how to knit just to make this hat, and I used this pattern, so I'm inclined to think that it's easy enough.  I didn't use circular needles though, as I couldn't find ones that were the right length--I just did the whole thing on DPN.  I also used plain old Red Heart yarn because I'm allergic to wool.  It turned out warmer when I knit the second one with double strands, but I probably should have added a couple of extra stitches then to make up for the tighter version.

Have fun!  Keep flying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: March 17, 2007 09:05:20 PM »

One more thing, and this may sound stupid, but what is Lopi and where can I find it?

Its not stupid! Lopi is a really thick yarn from Iceland. Here is a link with more info about it. http://www.handknitting.com/site/about_lopi.htm

I'm not sure where you can get it as I'm not in the USA. You don't have to use Lopi though. You can use any really thick yarn.

I used the "Jayne hat pattern for Mugua" and found it pretty clear to follow although I had never worked with double pointed needles (DPNs) or knitted in the round before.  Now I am pretty relaxed with DPNs and knitting in the round! And all thanks to Firefly... Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007 09:07:12 PM by geek-pride » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #396 on: March 17, 2007 09:53:57 PM »

You can get thinner Lopi, too - approx. sport or DK weight. When I made mine, I couldn't find regular (thick) Lopi, actually, so I had to use the thinner stuff and double it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
fezzle
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2007 07:00:21 PM »

I just finished mine! It was my first time doing a pompom, and my second time picking up stitches. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty proud. This hat will be going to a Browncoat friend for his birthday. Next time though, I think I'll decrease differently so that those weird dimply things at the top won't happen.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2007 08:44:46 PM »

Of course you're proud! Its a magnificent hat!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2007 08:10:40 AM »

Oh, I'm sure one could think of some more crafts from Firefly! What about attempting to knit one of Simon's sexy sweaters? Mmmmm. Kaylee's paper umbrella is a nice idea, too. *thinks*

I really like River's sweaters and other knitted things.  I tend to get distracted by them when watching the DVDs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Product Photography
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Portraits
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for People-In-Landscapes Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Panorama Stitch Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Night Portrait Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...