A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 401797 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , earflaps , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2006 09:08:32 AM »

lol hence why I love these boards. I had some orange, red and yellow yarn leftover from my Rikku (FFX and FFX-2) scarf so I just HAD to make this hat! It matches the Rikku scarf perfectly and I can wear them together successfully combining TWO sci-fi/fantasy items ... I feel as though I have reached a state of Nerdvana  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2006 10:51:50 AM »

Nerdvana?  i've never hear that...I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2006 05:16:29 PM »

Definitely saw it twice on opening weekend. As for on DVD? Only thrice, and once was with commentary, but I've been busy.

Geek_pride, are you from Australia? You guys get the pimped-out version of the DVD, do you not? I'll bet it's worth the wait.
If by pimped out you mean extras like a blooper reel, commentary and stuff like that, then yeah.
It was worth the wait! My friend had a "Serenity release" dinner party, and I got to wear my Jayne hat!
I'd post a pic of me in my Jayne costume but its just way too embarrassing. I look like Jayne, the way Danny DeVito looks like Schwarzenegger in Twins. The clothes are the same, but something is just not quite right.... Undecided

Nerdvana! Hahaha! Love it!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006 05:18:41 PM by geek-pride » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2006 03:08:26 PM »

OMG! i love this hat..ive been wanting one ever since i saw the hat...but sadly i have no idea how to knit Embarrassed...its on my list of things to learn how to do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
BatGrrl
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2006 03:34:50 PM »

OMG! i love this hat..ive been wanting one ever since i saw the hat...but sadly i have no idea how to knit Embarrassed...its on my list of things to learn how to do

Don't let that stop you--I didn't let it stop me!   Grin

Once you learn how to do the ribbing without twisting, everything else will be a piece of cake, I guarantee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2006 05:31:35 PM »

I only know the basics and thought it would be really difficult, but it was a doddle!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stringy
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2006 12:54:27 AM »

I noticed that on the extras on the dvd (possibly this is only on the pimped-out Aussie version), there was a bit of Joss Whedon at a convention in Sydney - two girls presented him with some gifts and one was a teddybear wearing a Jayne hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2006 03:20:54 PM »

Naw! Really? I gotta get me a copy of this DVD. My friend has one but I'm pretty sure she can't part with it for more than half an hour at a time.

Last time we watched it she was inspired to design a bunch of Serenity quote t-shirts for herself.  Grin
My hat gets quite a bit of wear considering its summer here.

Here's a tragic pic of me wearing it as part of a Jayne costume for a Serenity-themed dinner party. Sadly the Chinese lanterns above my head were cut off in the photo. And sadly I make a very convincing man.

And thats my pump-action super-soaker version of Vera. It's my very favourite gun. Grin
Yeah that's a blue sun t-shirt and  a pair of old gardening gloves with the fingers cut off. The beard was drawn on with eyeliner.  
Thank God I have a sense of humour.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:30:34 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaisleyPanther
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2006 04:34:42 PM »

A short tale of my Jayne-hat escapades-

Basically I knit a ton(9), because all my friends are FFFans, and charged only for wool($10.00CN/hat). Then we wore them around and got stares. One of my friends (one of the non-inducted) even told me the hat made me look like an idiot without me prompting her.  We were even rebels and wore them in the no-hats-allowed school.  I suppose we aim to misbehave. It was the best day ever (sans kidnappings).

Specs-wise, the best colours I could find were in a finer yarn so I doubled up and winged my own pattern knit flat. I didn't see any knit flat Jayne's hat patterns on this thread, so here is a quick outline of mine.

CO an even number of stitches between 64(tiny head) and 80(huge head). Work in K1P1 rib in Orange for 3-5' then switch to Yellow and continue in K1P1 rib until you have close to 8-9' of hat.  On the last row K2tog all the way across and cut the tail long enough to thread it through the remaining stitches on the needle.  Use this long thread to mattress stitch up the side, making sure to align the colour changes.  For the ear-flaps I tripled up my yarn and kind of winged it. 

OK, really winged it.  CO 20-24 st and continue in stockinette for an inch (of so) then begin decreasing as the spirit moves you.  Try to make the earflaps match.  I used some sort of improvised grafting to attach the earflaps to the hat, but you could just pick them up in the first place.

The hats looked rustic in a shiny way. I assumed Ma Cobb wasn't THE best knitter in the world(s) so I left some threads hanging, though the fickle can weave in.  I decided that the Easter Egg hat may not be the same as the original hat, because it really looks like it is all K1P1 rib.  The ribbing also solves any rolling problems, looks shiny, and is very stretchy. This stretchiness means that a 64 stitch hat CAN be made to fit a large headed person (though bigger is better), and also that gauge is usually no big deal.  I used 6mm straights.

Good luck with any hat endeavors of your own!

I'll post a picture eventually (The digital is on the fritz).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination is one of few arts in which I excel.
BatGrrl
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2006 04:47:27 PM »

geek-pride, you make the sweetest Jayne ever!  (Though I think the most menacing goes to that cute little boy several pages back...)

Pieces,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stir Fry Food Technique - Chinese Culinary Chicago
Chef school class - chinese food equipment
Chinese cuisine class - food ingredients
How to Make Fried Bananas
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...