A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 412419 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2005 03:57:01 AM »

Heh.  I just didn't want to say anything, because I'm kind of, you know, biased.  I know some folks have made them over on the LiveJournal knitting channel, and I haven't had any complaints yet.  I'm always open to criticism, I've got a very thick skin.  Haven't heard any yet though.

As for Australia, I think it's just unwashed wool or wool that's more direct from the sheep, isn't it?  I hope so - my knitting secret pal this time around is from Australia, and she sent me a hat she'd knitted, and also some loopy mohair.  I also made a Coronet from Knitty and send it to a friend down there, and nobody said anything about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2005 06:33:43 AM »

Craftsters-
I am on the hunt for a Jayne Hat -- and I would love to trade some crafty goodness for one.  I have a co-worker who has accepted a new job and will be leaving in less than a month.  He and I are the only Whedonites in my office.  He is actually the person who got me watching firefly in the first place -- he knew that I loved Buffy and Angel, so he loaned me his firefly DVDs.  In exchange for watching the DVD's I made him a "Big Damn Hero" shirt.  Anywhoo, I know that he would love a Jayne hat, and would wear it with pride.  I can't knit, so I am appealing to those of you that do.   I don't have a lot to spend but I'd love to trade I mainly make bags, purses, and totes.

If anyone is interested (or knows someone that might be) please let me know.  Thanks!!

~ "I am a leaf on the wind........."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2005 02:38:34 PM »

i love the colors and how the looks next to one another! good job, i love hats so this will have to made after my next SEX outing!!

A
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
crumpet
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2005 05:16:14 PM »

lupinbunny, for my hats, I've just used two strands of 8-ply yarn held together.  I think I used a combination of Patons 'Fireside' and the Lincraft 'Cozy Wool' yarns.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 06:48:05 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedali

I don't know what that means. - Brennan

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2005 09:08:00 PM »

I actually had this ready for a preview screening of Serenity, but it took me forever to get a picture of it. The couple sitting next to us at the preview asked where I got my hat, and when I told them I made it, they seemed amazed and impressed, which was very gratifying. Smiley

I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the picture-posting thing, but here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23355670@N00/53925235/

I've really been loving everyone else's hats. I can't wait to wear mine out this winter and see who recognizes it Wink.

Alison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

http://redheadedali.livejournal.com
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2005 03:30:03 AM »

Great job!  I admit I'm also looking forward to wearing mine for function as well as style this winter, and seeing who recognizes it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BatGrrl
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2005 03:57:58 PM »

OK, to show what a good sport I am, I'm going to post a link to my sad little hat with my inferior yarn and inferior stitches.  Now that I know what I'm doing and I'm not trying to knit a hat in twelve hours, I'm going to make a couple without dropped stitches or holes in general.  Luckily, some non-knitting people weren't looking carefully and thought the holes were part of the design because they were sort of evenly spaced... Wink

The pics funny because I kept trying to hold the camera out and get the whole thing without cutting off the pom on the top.

As to the hat in the film itself, I suspect that if it's not The Hat in actuality, it's The Hat in spirit--it's possible they auctioned it off for charity or it was simply sold as many props are or something along those lines.  I guess we probably won't know definitely until it comes out on DVD and we either freeze-frame it or listen to Joss rambling his fabulous commentaries over it (when he remembers to talk--he seems to do better if he has an actor to talk with):

"Ah, yes, and there we have Jayne's cunning hat...ooo--there it goes....Adam felt we really needed to have the hat make an appearance for the fans, but we didn't have the hat anymore because we sold it, and so this was the closest thing we could find...not quite as cunning, but it was the best we could do...."

Anyhow, I'm dying to know if any of you crafty people are also academically-minded folks, and if any of you were planning on presenting at the Whedonfest '06 conference that Slayage is sponsoring.  It seems like someone ought to do a presentation on the cunning hat.  Rhonda and David seem somewhat open to slightly unusual presentations...perhaps a short presentation on the hat and a how-to workshop?  Anyway, here's the link.  I presented at the '04 Slayage conference and it was a fabulous event.

http://www.slayage.tv/SCW/index.htm

Pieces,

Joanne

*Edited to fix broken picture link
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:27:56 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2005 04:12:02 PM »

I've just been given MONEY to buy WOOL for this hat.  I need to get good at knitting hats.. RIGHT NOW!  I hope this is an easy pattern.

Cross your fingers for me, wish me luck!   Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2005 05:15:17 PM »

OK, to show what a good sport I am, I'm going to post a link to my sad little hat with my inferior yarn and inferior stitches.  Now that I know what I'm doing and I'm not trying to knit a hat in twelve hours, I'm going to make a couple without dropped stitches or holes in general.  Luckily, some non-knitting people weren't looking carefully and thought the holes were part of the design because they were sort of evenly spaced... Wink

The pics funny because I kept trying to hold the camera out and get the whole thing without cutting off the pom on the top.

http://www.uwm.edu/~joannes/JayneTheHatFlip.JPG

Aw, I think it's the sweetest hat ever.

The nice thing about this hat is that the original, as explained by the series, was made for him by his mother, so it was done with much affection.  You definitely captured that spirit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BatGrrl
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2005 06:41:52 PM »

Thanks...sometimes spirit is the best we can do.  But I'll certainly remember My First Knitting Project.   Grin

I totally forgot that I meant to mention this last time--I'm assuming most people here know about the DVD Easter Egg involving Jayne's hat on the Firefly discs?  If not, put in disc 4, go to special features, scroll down to "Joss Sings the Firefly Theme", instead of selecting it hit the left arrow, which should make the squiggle up next to the picture on top turn yellow, then select/enter (however your DVD player terms it).  It's hilarious, and gives a great view of the hat.

Oh--Crumpet--fabulous buttons!

See you in the world,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dazzle Her with Diamonds This Holiday
Easy & Festive Holiday Beauty Tutorials
Holiday Makeup Tutorial
How to Do a Classic Red Lip
Transforming Your Look with a Pop of Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...