A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb Hat! (with pattern)  (Read 436419 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , jayne_cobb , hat , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern , jayne_hat , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crumpet
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2005 12:15:24 AM »

it's sold out. Sad

le sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radegund
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2005 02:44:40 PM »

This cracks me up.  Y'all seen this photo gallery of DragonCon Jayne hats yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stomptokyo/sets/873368/

I want the mini-hat pin!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2005 03:17:58 PM »

I know!  Looks like it'd knit up pretty easily in kitchen cotton.  Too cute, and I wish I'd thought of it first!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
crazycatladymel
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2005 04:04:09 PM »

You guys will appreciate the "jayne" bowl that's in the washer, felting, right now. Orange base, then wide yellow stripe, topped w/ red (b/c I only had a little red left). Hope it's as cute in reality as it is in my imagination!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2005 01:54:27 PM »

This cracks me up.  Y'all seen this photo gallery of DragonCon Jayne hats yet?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stomptokyo/sets/873368/
Xie xie for posting this link.  OMG - too cool.

Does anyone have a pattern for the mini-hat pins?  If I thought about it hard enough, maybe I could do the math my own self ("let's see, nuthin into nuthincarry the nuthin").   

I wish I had seen those sooner.  I have an event this Saturday (Firefly Mini-Marathon in WA) and those would'a been a hoot to sell.

ETA: maybe something like this with ears? pattern link although, is this pattern for machine knitting?  back to the googling...

ETA2: hmm... trying to do the math
maybe #1 needles, 20st (5st wide ear flaps?) and 14+rows or so until start decrease? or 28st w/6st earflaps?
I smell a trip TMYS.  If I figure this out... I'll let you know!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005 02:37:49 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2005 08:20:30 AM »

RE: Jayne hat pins (mini-hats)

Okay - I'm inspired.  I didn't have enough time to figure this out definitively last night, but I will in the next couple of days and I"ll be sure to post the pattern here.

Essentially, I tried #1's, #2 & what I think are stitch-holders using baby wool (Dalegarn baby ull).  They're 4in. dpn approximately size 3.5(?).  They worked great for this tiny project except the gauge was too large.  My inherited #1's are bent, so that wasn't a lot of fun but they are probably a good size for this. #2's worked well but my last attempt last night was 24st and that ended up too wide - imo.  So I'm going to try again with 20st. 6 rows with orange looked good, maybe 5-6 rows yellow before decreasing.  The hardest part was starting the first row because it seemed to want to twist a lot.  So I just did straight stocking stitch and didn't attempt ribbing on the first row or two.

I have an idea for how I might make the beginning work a little better.  When I test it, I'll post it.  I knew it was wishful thinking I could crank out a couple dozen by Saturday (my FF event) but I still am really interested in doing this for fun gifts and things.  If wishes were horses...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
Whiskey
Crafts fueled by Whiskey

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2005 09:17:43 AM »

Nice pattern for your first time.  I love the Jayne Cobb character in this series and I also liked him in that FBI Profiling show, the Inside, that was only cancelled after a season.  Bring him back on an awesome show that doesn't get cancelled! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psychodrea
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2005 09:47:34 AM »

just to be totally random...

my family got together with a couple of other families last weekend.  I walked inside the house where the son was cooking some pasta, and at the same time was watching an old movie, from 1980.  he goes.. 'andrea, do you know who that is?' and i'm watching, and watching it trying to figure it out...  then he goes 'there's even a song about him..'  finally when i couldn't figure it out.. 'our love for him now, aint hard to explain, the hero of canton, the man they call..' and i just burst out with JAYNE!!! OMG!!!

i was so excited.. i can't wait until serenity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"how'd you know that?"
"....like any decent secretary...i listened in on the other line!"
slgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2005 01:51:13 PM »

okay I thought I'd share some posts in response to a 'mini-jayne hat pin' thread on the old Fox board (aka FF OB).  I hope this isn't too much of a highjack but I thought these were hi-larious as it combined FF and knitting.
Quote from: slgn
...I'd say #1 or #2 needles, knit in round w/20st. (24 was too wide.) Maybe 6 rows orange, 5-6 yellow before decrease... 4-5st. wide ear flaps...
Responses:
Ying: WASH (nods, mock expertise) "20st., 6 rows, should do it."

Just_Mom: "I was a knitter once.... Okay, so I wore a knit hat.... Okay, so I got stuck with a needle...."

Radegund: "Were there terrifying space knitters?"

Just_Mom: "Knitting for the crew now?"
"Only in your lonely, pathetic afghan!"

Radegund: "Oh my god, who's knitting this thing? Oh, right, that would be me."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005 01:53:17 PM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mackster
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2005 08:19:00 PM »

Guys, I've upped it one more notch.

With my spare leftover Lopi, I knit a friend a Jayne hat iPod cozy. Just mini-fied the hat, and elongated it a bit, so that it would hit an iPod. Apparantly, he's already gotten comments. "OMG is that the Jayne hat from Firefly? ON YOUR iPOD?"

Rock. Totally rock. All of my spare Lopi is going towards those.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Grilled Blueberry Cheesecake
How to Make Flourless Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Kitchen Hacks: Ice Cream Sandwich
Easy Banana Nut Muffins Recipe
How to Make Sweet Corn Creme Brulee
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...