A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: leather bookmark wedding favors?  (Read 1600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goldfishhead
« on: August 17, 2007 01:57:29 PM »

Hi all! I've been wracking my brain for something to use as a wedding favor that will be 1) inexpensive, 2) usefull, 3) thematicaly appropriate and 4)not very time consuming.

our theme is sort of a litterary thing...sonnets for vows, quotes on tables and such. So I was thinking....bookmar ks?

but I want them to be realy classy bookmarks. I'd love to use leather. There are some places near me where i can get very large hides for very little money, in a variety of colors. But the question becomes- how to decorate them? If I werent doing 75 of them, I'd tool them, but I am. I'd love to put some sonnets on them- something short and sweet. But a bookmark isnt something a boy will shy away from takeing.

So- sugestions for fast, inexpensive ways to decorate leather? NOTE- both of us have AWFUL handwriting.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpooh
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007 03:01:06 PM »

What about having the writing put onto iron on paper & then ironing them onto the bookmarks???

Will iron ons stick to leather??? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007 03:03:06 PM »

I work with hides and make leather cuffs. I was trying to think of a way to modify a time-consuming image transfer process to your needs, but I haven't been able to come up with one that is cost-effective. (If you had the funds, this is a great machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PoFi1ZEWs) and would produce great results. But, expensive.

An option might be to rent or borrow a strap making tool (for making belts). Run your hides through the strapper, getting perfectly uniform sized lengths. Cut those into desired bookmark length, and then iron on (home printed) transfers of your names, wedding date, favourite poem, etc. Seal with a leather sealer. You could use a transfer paper like: http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20rub%20on%20decal%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20media.html  to print up your ideas (I know what it is like to have terrible handwriting. I had to print up everything for my wedding!!).

If you use Lumiere paints, you can accent the edges with some nice metallic gold or a deeper colour of the leather you get. Lumiere works great on leather and comes in some nice colours.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 03:08:22 PM »

yeah, i thought of iron-on transfers to, but was worried it would hold on the leather...but with a leather sealant..that might hold...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007 11:30:16 AM »

I know tooling a sonnet would be a lot of work, but what about tooling the first initial of each guest?  Then attach a printed tag with your names & dates and such.  That way, the guests have something personal they can use and a little momento tag to put in their scrapbooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007 08:59:24 PM »

We are doing bookmarks for part of our favors Smiley But we just did paper with laminate over them a hole punched in the top with black braided cord.. I think they look pretty cute. They have little characters on them that look like us, and a quote from Shakespeare, and our names and wedding date.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heykids

"...And he turned as green as green grass" - Babel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007 02:19:22 PM »

what about burning whatever text/designs you want on there? I realize it's not going to be very quick (and if you have a lot to make than maybe it's way too much work), but it'd be quicker than tooling it on the leather.

I think you might be able to use the wood burning pen (sorry, I don't know what the official name of it is). they have them fairly cheap at most craft stores or you could go to kmart/wallmart for even cheaper...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007 03:24:18 PM »

though this is against my morals in every single way shape and form

you could leave the leather (ugh) plain so to speak, just cut and treat it and then attach a beautiful piece of printed handmade paper with a sonnet in a complimentary color...and add a tassel or some sort of tassel like thing to it....

or if you want to not use leather (yay)

you can take a ball point pen, and a large feather and wrap it in with a thin but completely opaque paper or fabric....i think that would be kinda coooo

either way, hope it turns ou beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007 10:05:56 PM »

My mom cross-stitched 86 bookmarks for our wedding. She insisted, and people loved them.

That said, I'd generally not give out anything leather if any of your guests [or their dates] are likely to have an issue with it. I think you'd be better off making lovely fabric ones. You could print a poem on iron-on printer paper, and iron that on to a fairly plain fabric and then sew that to a fancier backing fabric. Could be very classy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
goldfishhead
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007 07:40:24 AM »

I dont think any of our anticipated guests has a problem with leather. Esp since I buy it off the reservation, where its hunted, rather than kept in nasty farming conditions.

My concern with fabric is twofold-
1) it will fray. I know not all fabrics do this, but most do, and almost all of the realy classy ones do.
2) iron-ons on fabric tend to get that icky...flakey look. where you can see the film over the parts that arent covered by the words/pictures.Do you know what I mean? very un-classy.

That said, im not completly married to the idea of leather either. If anyone can help me figure out how to bypass these problems (I'm not as ambitious as TheBons mom! she realy went above and beyond! I saw those bookmarks. they were gorgeous.) I'm interested to hear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Three Sun Hats for Babies
What Clothes to Buy Your Baby Before Knowing the Gender
Three One Piece Ideas for Boys
Three Dresses Ideas for Girls
3 Ideas of Bottoms For Boys
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...