A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nursing top--with TUTE!  (Read 6402 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamaggb
« on: August 16, 2007 09:41:38 PM »

I've lurked here for awhile but I haven't seen anything quite like this, so I thought I'd give this tutorial thing a try.  Many thanks to the rostitchery tutorials ([urlhttp://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/techniques/index.html[/url] )for inspiration  Smiley

Tonight I turned these

into this nursing top:

Sorry about the flash and crummy pic. Here's a pic showing the nursing opening (you pull the top part up and bottom part down):

Here's how I did it:

I started out with the two shirts and seam ripped them up both sides all the way to the armpit.

Then I cut the flowered one across from armpit to armpit to make a rectangle. In the pic, you'll see I actually made a little divot in the middle of the top so it wouldn't show under the deep v of the top part.

Then I gathered the entire top of the of long sleeve tee in the middle and used one of the straps from the tank to secure it:

Note: this made for a lot of fabric over the chest. Next time, I think I will cut about 1/3 of the fabric off the bottom of the orange tee, rehem the bottom, and then do the gathering. 

Next I gathered the edges of the top tee so they reached about halfway down the back and basted them to the back of the long sleeve tee. Here's a pic of my pinning for basting

and one of me trying it on over a different tank to see how it fit (this would be where I should have noticed that even my giant nursing boobs are no where near a size 44EEE so I probably should have used less fabric -LOL)

Going back to the flowered tank rectangle, I attached a piece of 1/4" elastic across the top, stretching slightly. Ignore the horrendous sewing job 

Finally, I sewed the flowered rectangle onto my orange tee (orange tee was turned inside out):

Done! I'm not sure that I like the two different fabrics...I think I might like it better with two matched shirts, but this is what I had lying around and I thought it would make it easier to explain the process.

Note: if you don't like the gathered top, you could also just cut off about the bottom third of the top shirt, resew that hem, and then sew the underlayer on as above.  It would make a Boob-style top like the one shown here: http://www.duematernity.com/bovrinutop.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wanna-be-goddess
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 09:45:36 PM »

what a great looking and completely functional top. love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aplaceinthefrog

just to love, and be loved in return

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 10:00:26 PM »

great job! I think with using the two different tops it looks like you're wearing a shrug. It's so cute that I want to make a top like that just for fun since I don't currently need a top with nursing access.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tortilladesigns
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 12:12:00 AM »

I am sitting home laughing right now.  I'm a nurse, so I thought it was a recon of scrub tops or t-shirts into scrubs.  How funny...I was looking at the pic and thinking I couldn't wear that to work.  Then I read the description and realized it was for baby nursing!  Great job by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maajo
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007 01:33:56 AM »

Wow! Now I have like million ideas on my head...  You used only one rectangle from the flower-top, am I right?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamaggb
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007 08:54:12 PM »

Wow! Now I have like million ideas on my head...  You used only one rectangle from the flower-top, am I right?   

Yep, one rectangle.  And one strap  Cheesy  And hey, share some of those ideas...one nursing top does not a wardrobe make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007 11:43:18 AM »

that's so inventive, what a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maajo
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 10:55:40 AM »

Sorry, I have to disappoint you, but I dont have any NEW ideas Sad . Just thinking what I have in my closet.  But you know: this rocks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doityourselflearner
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009 09:04:00 PM »

I know this is old post and I was looking for ideas for nursing top.  Thank you so much for sharing this pics and tut.  One more inventive ideas I want to try~!  It looks a little difficult for my skill but def. want to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClonedBravo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009 07:36:20 PM »

I just made one in blue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olivia Palermo Elevates Her Stripes with a Short Suit
How to Get a Cleavage Like Lea Michele
How to Get the Celeb Boho Chic Style
Miley Cyrus Sets Tuxedo Jacket Trend at Billboard Music Awards 2012
2012 Cannes Film Festival Fashion Top Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...